Agreed; this could be bad

Story: A Novell Auction Would Be Bad for Open Source Total Replies: 2
Author Content
KernelShepard

Jun 02, 2010
6:54 AM EDT
I've actually been worried about this happening for a long time now. If patent trolls get a hold of Novell's patents (which include things like administration of a network of machines from a single terminal, software updaters, context-aware searches, and many others), things could get real bad for Linux.

Things could also get real bad for Microsoft which is why I'm sure they entered into a cross patent licensing deal with Novell in the first place.

Hoping that some Linux-friendly company buys them.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 02, 2010
8:21 AM EDT
> things could get real bad for Linux.

Or, as those "patents" are finally given their test in court, they all get thrown out in a blizzard of prior art and obviousness.

> Things could also get real bad for Microsoft which is why I'm sure they entered into a cross patent licensing deal with Novell in the first place.

Microsoft is a perfect example of a "patent holder" who knows it would never stand up in court.

Look what Groklaw did in the various Microsoft-funded trial cases, coordinating the power of many interested people to defeat ignorance, and in the process making the SCOX patent troll look like a fool.

Which reminds me, I need to refresh my memory of what Darl looks like so I can slap him (figuratively speaking) if I ever see him on the street.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 02, 2010
11:55 AM EDT
Bob,

You know what this means ...

Quoting: [...] I need to refresh my memory of what Darl looks like so I can slap him [...] if I ever see him on the street.
Pistols or sabers at dawn. If so I will be your second and plug him from a distance if he turns prematurely to attack*. It must be expected, from the sleaze environment which his type thrives.

YBT

* An idealist, such as you, would be caught unaware.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!