Oh, the horrible distortions ... Glyn, everyone knows ...

Story: GNU/Linux *Does* Scale – and HowTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jun 02, 2010
4:40 PM EDT
For instance, the listing of the most robust machines is voluntary and Open. So only those meeting that criteria are listed. But what about all those others? That is, those requiring discretion only a closed system can provide. Robustness beyond comprehension or even belief. Now that's MS's forte and they nearly own the entire market. There they excel in the dark, dank and closed world. If only they could tell you, but to retain their customer's trust they (and even I to some extent) must remain silent.

Let me give you some well sourced instances*, where I cannot name names, companies and/or governmental agencies. But believe me, they are trustworthy killers that need the best. So if you can talk to your own local spooks and let them estimate how valuable Windows servers serve to expedite murderous intentions ask them if your dare. Government and corporate monies well spent I say. Think of the wars we don't have to fight when we suppress those that might even think they can go against our interests. It nearly brings tears to my eyes thinking of their selfless endeavor of keeping all classes in their rightful places. And MS is the key.

Let me say, if only you could see into this world the numbers the are reversed. Windows dominates, Unix is on its death bed and Linux Does Not Scale, hence, nearly absent. If only you could be told, but to keep you safe you cannot be shown the numbers.

So in conclusion, Windows does the best job on servers and Glyn Moody just leads you astray wanting to believe fairy tales. The realists know better, so shut up!

YBT

* Yes, where you life would be at risk if you attempt to follow me and talk to these individuals.
glynmoody

Jun 02, 2010
5:08 PM EDT
Thanks - fine piece of writing. Indeed, the best fairy tale I've read in a long time...
hkwint

Jun 02, 2010
5:46 PM EDT
Glyn: You forgot to mention LSE again! But that topic has probably been touched enough lately.

Apart from up, Windows doesn't scale all that well down either it seems. I'm a bit lost in 'downscale' Windows:

There was CE, there was Windows Mobile based on CE, now there's Windows Phone 7, Windows Embedded Compact 7 (and of course just '7'). Which is interesting, they're calling all their mutually incompatible software '7' as to fake scalability it seems. I still wonder why their HPC-line isn't called 7. Seems like they're confusing HPC with HTPC or something. It also seems Windows isn't that good at scaling to tablets, though Windows tablets have been existing for probably over 10 years.

To me, what's far more interesting these days however, is the 'failure' of the closed Windows ecosystem to adapt to a different CPU-architecture (being ARM). Open stuff like QT and MeeGo runs on more and more platforms, open platforms can even merge like Maemo and Moblin did, they can be ported - like Android to the iPhone - and more fancy stuff. Adobe and Microsoft - with their closed platforms - are the losers. The only one still making large profits with their closed source software is probably Apple, as I'm pretty sure most CAD-software is also quickly dropping in prices (or at least offering more bang for the buck).
glynmoody

Jun 02, 2010
6:39 PM EDT
Good point: remember when Windows used to run on the MIPS and DEC Alpha chips? GNU/Linux scales from smallest embedded system all the way up, and runs on just about every bit of silicon there is. Windows does just one thing, and not that well: runs on Intel. Amazing what you can do with marketing...
tuxchick

Jun 02, 2010
7:07 PM EDT
MBT, I know those checks have not arrived---there comes a point where even the most dedicated shill must draw a line and say enough's enough!

;)
tuxchick

Jun 02, 2010
7:08 PM EDT
Nice piece, Glyn, the only one I've seen that took a deeper dive into the numbers.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 02, 2010
7:52 PM EDT
I like adding up all the MIPS or TFLOPS per architecture, and Linux based systems are overwhelmingly in the majority, not just 96%, because the weight on Linux's side is on the high end.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 02, 2010
8:05 PM EDT
tc,

Quoting: [...] there comes a point where even the most dedicated shill must draw a line and say enough's enough!
You're right, I only accept cash.

YBT
dinotrac

Jun 03, 2010
10:05 AM EDT
I am disgusted with this thread for its lack of appreciation for the vital role that Windows plays in our national security.

Undercover operatives plausibly deniably attached to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have secretly gotten Windows into military and nuclear installations all over North Korea and Iran.

China, unfortunately, is not that stupid.
glynmoody

Jun 03, 2010
12:49 PM EDT
tuxchick: thanks - when they're so good, it seems a shame not to revel in them...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!