Please un-confuse me

Story: Google Chrome Frame Brings HTML5 to Legacy BrowsersTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
cabreh

Jun 10, 2010
10:53 AM EDT
Why is a site labelled Linux Pro Magazine putting out an article about something that only works on Windows and then only for Internet Explorer?

Should this site really be called Windows Pro Magazine? Or am I just missing something? I read the article and didn't see a link to either Linux or FOSS.
jdixon

Jun 10, 2010
11:48 AM EDT
Strictly from the blurb, the plug-in itself appears to be open source, even though it's for use with IE. The fact that a product is made for Windows doesn't mean it can't be FOSS.
theboomboomcars

Jun 10, 2010
2:45 PM EDT
So it is not related to Linux, so being in a Linux magazine seems odd. But it is related to FOSS so being linked to from LXer makes sense.
cabreh

Jun 10, 2010
4:57 PM EDT
My bad. Must have skimmed the first line of the article too quickly.

Still, when going to the site of this open source project the only people who seem to be able to get to it are those running Windows and using IE. Maybe it would be nice if there was a Firefox version. And for Linux as well.

My complaint wasn't about LXer linking, but with the source site itself since there is no Linux point to this software.
hkwint

Jun 10, 2010
5:08 PM EDT
Look at it from a broader perspective:

Linux-users could take advantage of a more wide-spread use of open standards, like HTML5. Microsoft is trying to stop this from happening, now Google has bypassed Microsoft's attempts, Linux users might benefit.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 11, 2010
12:03 PM EDT
My logic in posting it cabreh was that HTML 5 is a open standard used in browsers no matter what OS your running. It is FOSS related but not as directly as most of our newswire items.
cabreh

Jun 11, 2010
5:58 PM EDT
Scott, as I said, I wasn't questioning LXer covering the article. I questioned a site called Linux Pro Magazine writing about a Windows and Internet Exploerer ONLY piece of software. Be nice if it worked with FOSS software.

DarrenR114

Jun 11, 2010
6:25 PM EDT
CSS Tables!!!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!