Author Content
herzeleid

Jun 23, 2010
3:27 PM EDT
nt
jacog

Jun 24, 2010
5:18 AM EDT
Dunno, I recently bought X3: Reunion from them. While waiting for the order to arrive, which took a stupid amount of time, I happened upon the Windows XP version of X3:Reunion bundled with the updated X3:Terran Conflict, so I picked it up. It cost less than half of what my Linux purchase cost. What's worse is that the LGP stuff had DRM, whilst the Windows version was completely DRM-free.

The Windows version of X3 is being continuously updated with extra playable content, while the Linux one is stuck in the past. I purchased it for Linux, but it's not worth playing on Linux.

Their marketing also needs help. It was such a stretch for me to convince myself to buy from them. Considering how how unprofessional their creative identity looks, it was hard. And that same tacky CI has also been glued onto the game itself. You get this weird used car salesman vibe when the game starts up.

As an aside, X3 doesn't support 64-Bit systems either - not good in 2010.

Also, why do they try and port such difficult things to port, when they can do games like Torchlight that is already built using cross-platform tools? Their ports sometimes take five or six years to finish.

So, going the way of Loki? Probably not yet. Right now LGP is one of very few shops putting out Linux games, and serving a niche market. But in their current state, they likely will not survive long if any decent competition show up, and it would appear that moment is fast approaching.
JaseP

Jun 24, 2010
11:14 AM EDT
I bought X2 a few years ago, and more recently (a year?!?) bought X3 from LGP...

For me it is worth the purchase for 2 reasons... First, I rarely play games anymore (I mean REALLY rarely, like once or twice in the last year). And, when I do, I like the genre of the X2-X3 games, including Oolite (a free Elite "clone"), and others... Second, I'd rather they were native, since I don't run Windoze anymore and those particular titles didn't work in Wine/Cedega/whatever...

So, keep on fillin' the niche LGP,... I'll buy 'em when I see one I like. Heck, I might buy one every now and then whether I like it or not...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!