Upgrades gone wrong ...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jul 26, 2010
3:22 PM EDT
I saw the message that Thunderbird 2.0 is at end of its support life, I searched and found instructions on how to upgrades specifically for Ubuntu 8.04 to version 3. All command line instructions and everything seemed to have worked under my administrative identity. However a notice of upgrade went from available to emergency [security], so using the GUI an upgrade for Firefox worked, while the optional components for Thunderbird did not. I assumed that was because I had already moved to version 3 making the changes moot.

Well, Firefox is now Namoroka:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9pre) Gecko/20100726 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Namoroka/3.6.9pre

Really weird, but seems to be very close to the Firefox 3.6.7 that disappeared. So its not 4.0 Alpha I initially thought it might be. But what bugs me, Thunderbird is resolutely stuck at 2.0.0.24 (20100317). What happened to my version 3.1 that I installed?

Anyone have any ideas?

[all too serious] Thanks

Txt.
tmx

Jul 26, 2010
9:53 PM EDT
[.....] I would say purge everything related to Mozilla and the xulrunner package. Then search for all thunderbird and firefox files and root delete them. Then delete the .mozilla folder in your home directory too, after backing up. Then try running firefox or thunderbird directly extracted from the tarball file and see if it work.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 26, 2010
10:37 PM EDT
tmx,

Forget the Firefox portion, so far I see no reason that I cannot live with this version. It's Thunderbird that's not right.

It is present and even reinstalling has no effect. It might be the dot mozilla file as you suggest that may be part of the problem. However, I will have to wait until I am sharper and have the time to recognize my mistakes as they occur, which is not the current situation.

I may just upgrade to a more recent Linux distribution.

Thanks,

Txt.
jdixon

Jul 26, 2010
11:03 PM EDT
If he were using Slackware, he could probably just download the package from 13.1 and install it. It would probably work with no problems.

He said he's using Ubuntu 8.04.
jdixon

Jul 26, 2010
11:07 PM EDT
The instructions I found for installing thunderbird 3 in 8.04 were at http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-thunderbird-3-in-ub...

I just upgraded to 10.04 on my Ubuntu box at work, rather than trying to keep 8.04 current.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 27, 2010
10:31 AM EDT
jd,

Thanks. I used I used the same reference for the 8.04. The only change was I did not use gksudo .. command, so I missed the mini GUI and gedit. I prefer emacs, but that only altered the source list, which should be of no consequence.

I may be well forced to upgrade, but on old hardware (and without other pressing needs) it seems like overkill. Nonetheless, given the way 10.4 was pushed it will be Mint or something completely different.

Txt.
jdixon

Jul 27, 2010
1:19 PM EDT
> Thanks. I used I used the same reference for the 8.04...

I was afraid that might be the case, since it was the first one on the list. :(

> ...but that only altered the source list, which should be of no consequence.

Agreed. As long as the source list has the right entries, it doesn't make any difference what editor you use.

> Nonetheless, given the way 10.4 was pushed it will be Mint or something completely different.

Well, I think you can guess my personal preference. :) But Ubuntu 10.04 is running fine here on this Optiplex GX280, with a 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 GB of memory (I suspect 512 MB would be enough), and a 40 GB hard drive; so unless it's a really old machine, you should be OK with an upgrade.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 27, 2010
8:38 PM EDT
I've found that 512 MB is a bit uncomfortable in Ubuntu. I'd say 768 MB is a "sweet spot" for the distro. 1 GB is what I've used mostly, and I feel pretty good about that amount of RAM in the average Linux desktop.
krisum

Aug 01, 2010
4:56 AM EDT
@Txt

Personally I don't like recommendations to upgrade to mozilla-daily packages given that the stability of those is suspect. I use the stable channel packages for hardy and those have been working well:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-stable/ubun... hardy main

You will want to get rid of the upgraded packages first (maybe using ppa-purge). Unfortunately this build clashes with thunderbird-locale-en-gb and causes language-support-translations-en to uninstall (I have a custom language-support-translations-en deb with minor dependency change that avoids the problem, ask if you will like to use it).
TxtEdMacs

Aug 02, 2010
1:23 PM EDT
krisum,

Belated thanks. Right now this problem is for the time moot. That machine is down. For the interim I will be accessing my email on line only.

Yes so far 8.04.1 has sufficed. Recently Firefox was upgraded via Ubuntu to 3.6.7* and I was pleased. However, I have seen nothing to indicate they will followup with Thunderbird.

It took me days to get back on line with this machine (a dual core laptop running Ubuntu 9.10) - what a nightmare.

Have other tasks I must clear first prior to fixing my machines, which is one reason I do not like to try the newest and latests.

[again all serious]

Txt.

* though it went to their temporarily branded version 3.6.9 that seemed initially to have updates nearly every day. Why?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!