Silly guys

Story: Oracle forms new 'axis of evil' against open source, claims AdobeTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
bigg

Aug 24, 2010
1:55 PM EDT
Adobe pointing fingers at Oracle. Apple pointing fingers at Adobe. Next we'll see Microsoft pointing fingers at Google for working against open source. I want to sue them all for making fun of our intelligence.
tuxchick

Aug 24, 2010
2:35 PM EDT
Oh my. So at last we have the answer-- no, they don't ever listen to themselves.
caitlyn

Aug 24, 2010
2:37 PM EDT
...and they are all equally bad.
caitlyn

Aug 24, 2010
2:38 PM EDT
p.s.: Has anyone else tried the new version of gnash? YouTube videos work properly without having to clear cookies. A lot of Flash sites that have never worked with gnash before suddenly work as they should. It's a major step forward and a major step towards my not caring if Adobe ever supports 64-bit Linux again.
hkwint

Aug 24, 2010
2:55 PM EDT
I tried to try gnash, but it segfaulted like hell.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 24, 2010
3:22 PM EDT
I still think HTML 5 is a better way forward than Gnash when it comes to video and audio. Hell, even I use SWF players for audio because I can't think of a better way for my non-technical users to access it ... I've noticed some progress on audio in recent Web code, and I hope to start coding that way myself just as soon as I can figure it out.
bigg

Aug 24, 2010
3:27 PM EDT
> I still think HTML 5 is a better way forward than Gnash when it comes to video and audio.

Wouldn't it be possible to call gnash rather than OGG from HTML 5?
tuxchick

Aug 24, 2010
3:59 PM EDT
We still need a working Adobe Flash replacement, because even if HTML5 magically conquered the Web tomorrow, there is still a huge amount of legacy Flash.
DrDubious

Aug 24, 2010
5:30 PM EDT
I'll believe Adobe cares about "open source" when they port Photoshop/Illustrator to Linux, and get their Flash on Linux lead to quit complaining about how awful Linux is...
herzeleid

Aug 24, 2010
5:33 PM EDT
Quoting:...and they are all equally bad.
LOL, no freaking way! microsoft is absolutely the worst, most abusive and most dangerous of the bunch. I'd give google a thousand times the benefit of the doubt that I'd ever give microsoft.
gus3

Aug 24, 2010
6:43 PM EDT
Quoting:microsoft is absolutely the worst, most abusive and most dangerous of the bunch.
But Apple seems he11-bent on challenging M$ for that title.
herzeleid

Aug 24, 2010
7:22 PM EDT
@g3 - Agreed, apple is getting to be downright unlikeable these days....
caitlyn

Aug 24, 2010
8:48 PM EDT
Hans: When did you try gnash? The new version is two days old and working very well indeed, at least for me.

HTML5 may be the right answer for the future. For right now we still need Flash to work.
hkwint

Aug 29, 2010
7:29 PM EDT
There are some initiatives to translate any Flash to JS I believe, but it's "in development".

Caitlyn: About two months ago. "Flash" crashes like hell (about 10-20 times a day is quite normal), so I think it should be called "Crash" instead of "Flash".
caitlyn

Aug 30, 2010
2:47 AM EDT
Try the new Gnash. My review is at: http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/08/gnash-088-a-huge-improv... and it has been posted to LXer as well.
hkwint

Aug 30, 2010
9:03 PM EDT
Nope, tried 8.8 and it failed as it wouldn't play Youtube.

Removed the cookies as well, still "error, can't play". I can't find the log file where it's supposed to log to (gnash-dbg.log), so I don't have any clue.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!