Okay, you can do it, but I am compelled to ask: Why ?????

Story: Making Ubuntu look like Windows 7Total Replies: 8
Author Content
Ridcully

Aug 26, 2010
5:47 PM EDT
The writer says: It’s particularly suitable for reviving older PCs or laptops on which the main activities will be web-browsing, email, document writing, and streaming music and videos from Pandora, YouTube, and elsewhere on the web. But wait a minute, doesn't Linux **automatically** do this when it replaces Windows on an old machine ? You automatically find things run better and faster without changing anything. So what is this writer's definition of "particularly suitable". I have to be missing something, but for the life of me, I cannot see it and if someone will elucidate and kick my mental gears into shape.....marvellous. :-)

I have only briefly scanned the article but I didn't see a statement that this will make the old set run faster with standard Linux installation.....if I have missed it, sorry. So again, I am compelled to ask why this "tiddly up" with a Win-based desktop ? If it is aimed directly at Win-people fretting to change to Linux but frightened to do so, and this offers a comfort zone experience, then excellent.....but the writer doesn't say this either, as far as I noted.

So, if it is being written for Linux users and there are no stated absolute gains other than putting a Windows picture etc. on a Linux computer (which I personally find anathema)......again I ask: WHY ?? Or perhaps this is the famous: You do it because you can ?
tuxchick

Aug 26, 2010
7:14 PM EDT
Who cares? Maybe some folks like how Windows looks. Maybe it eases the transition for new users.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 26, 2010
8:19 PM EDT
I can imagine doing this to someone who had an existing machine and wanted to "upgrade". Just to tweak their buttons.
r_a_trip

Aug 27, 2010
6:31 AM EDT
It seems to hinge on the idea that a familiar look causes users to trust the system more. The only problem I see with this skinning is that it conjures up the image of a duck, but it still waddles and squawks like a penguin.

No matter how much skinning you throw at it, a Linux desktop simply doesn't have the Windows plumbing. It can only lead to frustration, because the look creates the expectation that it will work a certain way. Linux does not work like Windows. Configuration, application installation, application functions, it is all different.

Double click on setup.exe and then this weird Wine thing takes over and bombs out with cryptic error messages. No device manager in sight. The driver cd for the webcam doesn't work. Where is Microsoft Office? When I click the blue E, I expect to get the internet. In Linux I get this weird Firefox thing.

I wonder how much prospective Linux users gave up in disgust because their skinned penguin drove them up te wall. If you set up a system for a new user, just leave the default desktop in place. If it looks different, the expectation that it will behave different is much more likely.

Then again, for people familiar and comfortable with Linux, setting up the desktop just like Win 7... Hey, if it floats your boat, just do it and have fun.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 27, 2010
6:51 AM EDT
It's a conspiracy, I tell you!!!!!

Now when the bosses walk by they are unmoved by their innate complacency. "What's the worry? Anyone can see we are an ALL Windows(TM) shop*."

Those sneaky bast%$#s, stealing my legal, ill gotten business. I am reporting this to the higher ups.

Thanks for the heads up, I would never have noticed had it not been led to read your mostly mistaken ideas.

YBT

* This is where the real money is made ... cash flow plus profits.
Ridcully

Aug 27, 2010
7:10 AM EDT
@/Txt/EdMacs.........You know........a long time ago, you replied to one of my posts and I got indignant because I didn't know about your delightful and wicked sense of humour.......Now, all I do is enjoy it.......With a couple of single malts as well (Glenmorangie on this occasion). I count you as one of my most welcome people for comments, both for humour and insight.

LOL.......and keep it going. Thanks TxtEd.........YGF.......Ridcully.

PS.....don't ask me to translate YGF.......I'd get embarassed at being so nice to someone.....after all, I have to cultivate the general ethos of a dreadful old curmudgeon !!!!!!!
JaseP

Aug 27, 2010
8:24 AM EDT
I said it in the comments to the article, & I'll say it again here...

Only 2 reasons to do this;

1) Practical Joke, or 2) To pull the ol', "We replaced his regular OS with Folger's crystals," deal-e-o.

caitlyn

Aug 27, 2010
6:01 PM EDT
Do Folger's crystals run well on a netbook?
gus3

Aug 27, 2010
9:21 PM EDT
Or, can we get Linux to run on Folger's Crystals?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!