"Mozilla Upsets Net World Order" by recognizing Bing exists?

Story: Mozilla upsets net world order with Bing on FirefoxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tqk

Oct 08, 2010
8:10 PM EDT
Isn't this a lot like "Ubuntu's got a new default font" or "Desktop Background?"

Would you fscking * users please TRY not to look stupid? Please!?! Or at least, don't make us look stupid along with you. Thanks.
tqk

Oct 08, 2010
8:23 PM EDT
Sorry, I should have blamed Mozilla, not users. Damn, this !@#$ pees me off. What trivialities, wrapped up in press releases!
tuxchick

Oct 08, 2010
8:38 PM EDT
The Register is always on the brink of hysteria.
tqk

Oct 08, 2010
8:42 PM EDT
I saw this story in a lot more places than just El Reg. It's all over the place.

Just like the *buntu's got a new backdrop!!!!!

Meh.
caitlyn

Oct 09, 2010
12:30 AM EDT
I though the *bntu has a cool new font was even worse than the new background. A lot is going on in the FOSS world in smaller projects that is truly interesting but gets buried in the avalanche of non-news if it is covered at all.
gus3

Oct 09, 2010
3:03 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I'm a font nerd. Bear that in mind as you read the following.

A background is a background is a background. The default desktop background can be replaced practically at a whim, and it affects the usability of the desktop not a whit. My own desktop background is a satellite view of Hurricane Isabel, for two reasons: 1. I like it. 2. I think it blends well with the rest of the startup desktop elements (menu bar, icons, GKrellM monitor). That's my taste, and I know that nobody else in the world will share it.

A font, on the other hand, can make the difference between a generic, lowest-common-denominator desktop and one that shines on a particular system. I remember the excitement when Bitstream announced their Vera font family. A lot of geeks like myself raced to take a look at Bitstream Prima, the basis for Vera, and declared how their desktops would be converted completely to Vera as soon as it was released.

When it came to Unicode characters, Bitstream Vera fell a little short, but the free license allowed a derivative, DejaVu, to meet that challenge. The original Vera design is very readable for me*, so I use the DejaVu family on my entire desktop (except for a bold italic on my window titles). DejaVu Sans for most web browsing and other reading, DejaVu Mono for reading and writing code, and DejaVu Serif for content destined for hard-copy.**

The Canonical team has acknowledged how a well-designed font can permeate and transform a desktop, so they decided to throw their hat into the ring. Their font corrects some visual deficiencies of several font families, most notably the differences between the upper-case I (eye), the lower-case l (ell), and the number 1 (one). I'm looking forward to an extended test of the Ubuntu font on my system.

Yes, some people will complain that non-free tools were used to create the first release(s) of the Ubuntu font, but their complaints fall short, in that no non-free tools are required to use the Ubuntu font. All components of FreeType are now totally free of all encumbrances, so the ability to use the best rendering of the Ubuntu font is available to everyone.***

(*) A nice x-height and m-width can make all the difference on an older monitor, even without all the fancy kerning and anti-aliasing, and they certainly don't hurt on a new monitor.

(**) There is a philosophy behind all that; if you want to know what it is, send me a private message. I'll be happy to explain.

(***) Isn't it sad, how a comment thread about Bing and Mozilla magically morphs into something about Ubuntu?
TxtEdMacs

Oct 09, 2010
7:44 AM EDT
Read All About It! From The Most Reliable Tabloid News Sources:
Quoting: The August Gus III Bares His Soul on His Perverse Love of Fonts
With more news in follow up issues:

Quoting: Gus III 's Tastes in Foot Fetishes & in Toe Ticklers Revealed
tqk

Oct 09, 2010
12:08 PM EDT
Quoting:Isn't it sad, how a comment thread about Bing and Mozilla magically morphs into something about Ubuntu?
You've just invented a new corollary to Godwin's Law.
gus3

Oct 09, 2010
8:38 PM EDT
MBT,

You know way more about me than is comfortable for me.

To anyone else reading this:

You're next.
hkwint

Oct 10, 2010
9:12 AM EDT
Quoting:You know way more about me than is comfortable for me.

I thought, OBT knows more than is comfortable / healthy for him!

Anyway, I agree on the importance of fonts. They can make your desktop look ugly or shine.

For example, Opera looks more ugly than Firefox, mainly because of the font. The sad thing is, all this font configuration is pretty hard on Linux, at least in my opinion. I'm still wondering if there's a central place to set it 'globally', if you don't have KDE / Gnome. All apps having their own fonts make the desktop look unwieldy.

So even if one's not a font nerd, one can agree on the importance of fonts.
krisum

Oct 11, 2010
3:31 AM EDT
> I'm still wondering if there's a central place to set it 'globally', if you don't have KDE / Gnome. All apps having their own fonts make the desktop look unwieldy.

I think nearly all distributions support a ".fonts.conf" in the home directory for configuration. Since most apps use the generic alias "Sans", "Serif" etc. those can be set to point to desired fonts. For other apps like opera that are configured more with windows fonts like Times/Arial etc. it is also possible to redirect those to desired fonts. However that will apply to all applications, which will be not proper for apps that depend on the metrics of Times/Arial for proper layout.
hkwint

Oct 11, 2010
5:52 PM EDT
Thanks! Probably, the problem is I never really looked into the issue of fonts, except for console-fonts, which I found already pretty hard to configure (together with UTF8-awareness, terminal capabilities, getting the Eurosign and dead keys to work properly, failing to have a 1680x1050 terminal and such).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!