Ballmer on CNBC

Story: Microsoft sues Motorola over patents, citing Android phonesTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 11, 2010
11:20 AM EDT
Steve Ballmer is going to be on CNBC in a few minutes to talk about Google and Apple..should be some good stuff coming out of his mouth on this..

tuxchick

Oct 11, 2010
11:24 AM EDT
Definitely stuff coming out of his mouth!
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2010
9:31 AM EDT
Not up on YouTube yet, at least not that I can find...
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 12, 2010
11:24 AM EDT
I can't find it either..darn it.
bigg

Oct 12, 2010
12:08 PM EDT
> I can't find it either..darn it.

I usually celebrate when I don't have to see video of Steve Ballmer.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 12, 2010
12:36 PM EDT
I warned buddy boy Ballmer, so Google got a take down notice before it appeared.

As Always,

YBT
hkwint

Oct 12, 2010
11:18 PM EDT
Oh, you people, capable of nothing!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232/?video=1612803340&play=1

What I like, is Zune being called a 'fail', first time I heard that.
caitlyn

Oct 13, 2010
12:53 AM EDT
I'm waiting for the iPod to fail. Actually, I am really waiting for portable FLAC players so that the sound quality is as good as a CD.

FWIW, I do have a Degen DE1125 mp3 player which also has an AM/FM/SW radio and a digital voice recorder. I really am enjoying it and I don't have to support Apple or Microsoft or DRM.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 13, 2010
1:08 AM EDT
I believe that the Sansa Clip+ plays FLAC
caitlyn

Oct 13, 2010
8:05 AM EDT
I'll have to look into that. Thanks, Steven.
hkwint

Oct 13, 2010
4:27 PM EDT
Caitlyn:

Definitely go for a Philips GoGear, it was designed as an iPod replacement with FLAC-support! http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/04/21/new-philips-mp3-player-... -->"New Philips mp3 player has FLAC support"

The GoGear comes with the free software audio-player "SongBird". Sadly, development of the Linux version of Songbird has stopped.

If you want, it seems you can install an OS called "RockBox" on it, which is a GPL replacement for the Philips firmware. Wikipedia has an article on it, for me it's the first time hearing about it so it might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox

On a sidenote, once there was an ex-Philips lawyer who told sometimes they print a notice in the manual there's this phone number which you can call to ask for the GPL-source code in their products. Amongst probably others, at least some of their hard disk video recorders run Linux. Nobody ever called, but it's definitely interesting. Also, because of that note, you can see which of their products run GPL-code and which don't.

As one of the founders of OIN, I think Philips is pretty comitted to both Linux and free software. Philips has been famous for making complex which were too complex and user-unfriendly, but that changed since 2004's "Sense and simplicity" campaign, which stresses designing around the consumer, and actually studying and looking at difficulties consumers encounter when doing certain tasks. So I definitely have faith in their products again.
jdixon

Oct 13, 2010
9:33 PM EDT
> ...you can install an OS called "RockBox" on it,

Linux Weekly News has some fairly informative reviews of RockBox, as I recall.
caitlyn

Oct 14, 2010
12:21 AM EDT
@hkwint: Does Phillips sell them here in the U.S.? I'll have to check that out.

re: RockBox, if I have a box of rocks does that count? What if the music I want to listen to would make it a JazzBox or an AmbientBox or a ClassicalBox? Would RockBox support that?

{Ducks and runs}
hkwint

Oct 14, 2010
9:55 AM EDT
Caitlyn: I'm no expert by all means, but to me, this http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&... looks like it's available in the US. But I guess you want to see / touch it before buying, and when it comes to availability in real life stores, I can't help you.

Be sure to post a review of your BeatBox, because we all like to hear/see Caitlyn beatboxing! (Not being beaten while boxing, uhm, well, you get the idea I hope).
tmx

Oct 15, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
The Sansa e280 8gb I bought was like $25 from ebay. Battery life is like 12hours or something. I still prefer it as a media player over my N900 phone.

@ jdixon Advance information not needed, just download Rockbox Utility and it will automatically install to your player if supported.
phsolide

Oct 15, 2010
7:46 PM EDT
I finally watched and listened to the Ballmer "interview". What a lightweight piece of fluff! Did the interveiwer actually ask any questions or did CNBC just let Ballmer read off a press release and intercut the talking head to spin it as an interview?

As for Ballmer's performance, it was flawless, in the sense that he made no detectable errors or mistakes. It was godforsaken, in the sense that he said nothing of substance. He just made noises with his mouth for a prescribed time period.
gus3

Oct 15, 2010
7:56 PM EDT
Wow, phsolide, you just summed up most of the six-o'clock news. The live reporting from Chile a couple nights ago was the first time in a long time I've seen honest reporting on TV.
montezuma

Oct 15, 2010
9:48 PM EDT
Infotainment is a terrible thing. Except Ballmer isn't even entertaining.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!