Using it a breeze too!

Story: Learning Linux the hardcore way: Linux From ScratchTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
litosteel

Oct 27, 2010
12:40 PM EDT
I 've made my own linux from scratch based distro (not released yet) and i think this is a good project, there are some quirks but at all is a good book and the recipes are very accurate. Some package are little old for my taste, then i substitute many of them, but for now i can compile everything i want into my box, even some unsupported packages as KDE 3.5 or some others. I add it RPM based installation using RPM 4.6 and i think is very solid for now, i expect to release some alpha version for this winter.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 27, 2010
1:18 PM EDT
I've said this many times. I'm geeky enough that I'd read about source-based distributions, ports software systems, and thought I'd "enjoy" compiling from source. Turns out I hate it. One of the greatest things about Linux distributions is that they generally build the whole thing from kernel and userland to the entire application repository.

Having complex compiling jobs fail after nearly a day on the CPU, suffering through a three-day-long ports upgrade of FreeBSD that only ended when I pulled the plug. It's too much pain.
hkwint

Oct 27, 2010
8:48 PM EDT
Steven: Then ALFS is for you; http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/
JaseP

Oct 28, 2010
9:21 AM EDT
@hkwint;

How easy it to patch the kernel is it w/ ALFS? I ask this because I have a couple of pieces of hardware that are in need of driver patches for (somewhat) exotic devices.
hkwint

Oct 28, 2010
11:00 AM EDT
Sadly never used it, as Gentoo can be seen as 'automated from scratch' as well. But easier. So hence Gentoo.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!