What a horrendous name!

Story: DeadBeef - Simple, Lightweight Music Player for Ubuntu Maverick, LucidTotal Replies: 39
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 12, 2010
10:36 AM EDT
DeadBeef? Really? Very appealing to vegetarians, people in India, and people who just don't like gore and blood in their music player name. Lightweight music player? XMMS still does fine.
hkwint

Nov 12, 2010
1:17 PM EDT
I think just "db" was already taken as a package name?
herzeleid

Nov 12, 2010
2:51 PM EDT
Deadbeef has the interesting property that it's a hex number. You have to be a geek to appreciate it.
jezuch

Nov 12, 2010
3:55 PM EDT
Yeah, read it as 0xdeadbeef.

Quoting:Very appealing to vegetarians, people in India, and people who just don't like gore and blood in their music player name.

I'm vegetarian and still Carcass is one of my favourite bands, I see no conflict ;) (The band members are (ex-)students of medicine and vegetarians themselves.)
gus3

Nov 12, 2010
5:01 PM EDT
0xdeadbeef is the magic number for Linux binaries, right?
azerthoth

Nov 12, 2010
5:52 PM EDT
*edit*

Never mind, just some base36 silliness
tracyanne

Nov 12, 2010
6:33 PM EDT
Quoting:DeadBeef? Really? Very appealing to vegetarians..

I'm not a vegetarian, we raise our own animals for slaughter - Chooks, ducks, goats - and I'm not at all enthused by the name. It's just plain stupid, I guess that makes me not a geek.
flufferbeer

Nov 12, 2010
9:02 PM EDT
@tracyanne, Could have been an equally geeky 0xD3ADB33F and STILL caitlyn might have found something to complain abt. I'm guessing that she'd somehow object to the "AD" for its Anno Domini yr-dating, instead of her preferred "CE" (Common Era as opposed to the hexed 206). just my own geeky and hexed 44 on this ; )
tuxchick

Nov 12, 2010
9:36 PM EDT
The name that bothers me is Con Kolivas' BFS. That really wasn't necessary (brain f*** scheduler)
hkwint

Nov 12, 2010
10:37 PM EDT
Unless it was written in that particular language, of course.

[[+++>+++++.< ahem
tracyanne

Nov 13, 2010
1:22 AM EDT
@fb
Quoting:Could have been an equally geeky 0xD3ADB33F and STILL caitlyn might have found something to complain

And I would still have thought is was a d@mned stupid name to give a media player.
montezuma

Nov 14, 2010
10:35 AM EDT
Tuxchick,

The explanation for BFS is rather simple. Con is an Australian. Australians are larrikins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrikinism

He would be pleased you disapprove.
tuxchick

Nov 14, 2010
1:06 PM EDT
Thanks for the reference, montezuma. It's still dumb. Anyone can be vulgar and crude; that's no achievement. Creating something cool like this scheduler is the real achievement, and cloaking it behind a juvenile name does it a disservice.
hkwint

Nov 14, 2010
2:22 PM EDT
In the past, Linus, Ingo & co did Con's scheduler an even greater disservice, hence the name doesn't bother anymore.
tracyanne

Nov 14, 2010
5:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Thanks for the reference, montezuma. It's still dumb. Anyone can be vulgar and crude; that's no achievement. Creating something cool like this scheduler is the real achievement, and cloaking it behind a juvenile name does it a disservice.

In the interests of proprietary, not a word shall escape my lips... er fingers.
caitlyn

Nov 14, 2010
5:36 PM EDT
Thank you tuxchick and tracyanne for being voices of reason here. I do find the name vulgar and crude and that enough is reason for me to stick with other music players.
helios

Nov 15, 2010
11:28 AM EDT
This is glaringly indicative of the larger problem...

It's been said often that most Linux app developers and coders write software for other Linux app developers and coders. Few if any are going to find the hex reference amusing. In this case and others, it's almost like the authors wrote a decent app then wrapped it with a user repellent.

Since I watch programs like Supernatural and The Walking Dead, the reference to carnage doesn't bother me near as much as the general propensity to name Linux apps with the most obscure or inane ways possible.

Yeah...we'll gain mainstream notice by naming our apps after stuff like this.

On the other hand...

I have, ahem...acquired a rather large and eclectic music collection over the years and like an application that helps me manage that collection. I like to keep my Gnome environment clean so I rarely if ever drag KDE dependencies into it so my choice of music apps are limited by this choice. The exact reason I downloaded this app was for the unique name. And no, it didn't suite my needs, I find it a bit kludgy, but still...I did try it out.

Bad app names in Linux seems to be the norm instead of the exception.

Don't make me start a list...

h

tuxchick

Nov 15, 2010
11:40 AM EDT
Or to put it another way, in-jokes don't migrate gracefully to a general audience.
hkwint

Nov 15, 2010
12:39 PM EDT
Ah, so Linux needs a way to Alias apps to the real world... Bounties for a deadbeef-wrapper?
gus3

Nov 15, 2010
1:46 PM EDT
SteaK: the Simple Tunes Encapsulator and Archiver for KDE.
tuxchick

Nov 15, 2010
2:09 PM EDT
*applause" Good one gus3!
hkwint

Nov 15, 2010
3:21 PM EDT
Yeah, sounds much better! (Would that translate to 57EAC?)
gus3

Nov 15, 2010
3:46 PM EDT
Potato: Playing Our Tunes At The Odd-itorium

Please, someone stop me before I embarrass myself.

EDIT: The name "Odditorium" is already taken, several times over, starting here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley's_Believe_It_or_Not!#Mus...
bigg

Nov 15, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
> Please, someone stop me before I embarrass myself.

Unfortunately I don't have a time machine.
tracyanne

Nov 15, 2010
5:28 PM EDT
We could call it The Beat, and gain a gay male following.
tuxchick

Nov 15, 2010
9:15 PM EDT
Gay male what? Though I guess Scott et al don't care what species read LXer.
hkwint

Nov 15, 2010
9:57 PM EDT
gus3: "Here's news for ya': Microsoft just took over the world!" Read about it in the Reliable Times - http://tipotheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/reliabletim...

(if I smile - please give me some bad news - before I laugh - and act like...)
tracyanne

Nov 15, 2010
10:34 PM EDT
@TC Gerbils, of course. Very happy male Gerbils.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 16, 2010
2:35 AM EDT
@tuxchick; Any species capable of accessing LXer is ok by me..by hoof, foot, snout or hand..;-)

jacog

Nov 16, 2010
4:04 AM EDT
"We will fight for... bovine free-ee-dom, and hold our large heads high.

We will run free... with the buffalo, or diiiieeeeeeeeee....

Cows with guns!"
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2010
11:17 AM EDT
Chickens in choppers!
helios

Nov 16, 2010
1:56 PM EDT
Hippos with howitzers.

sorry...

h
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2010
4:11 PM EDT
You don't look sorry.
gus3

Nov 16, 2010
6:11 PM EDT
Yes, he does. He always looks that way.
dinotrac

Nov 17, 2010
8:10 AM EDT
Personally, I would skip all the jokes and just call it something like StayTuned.
helios

Nov 17, 2010
11:20 AM EDT
You don't look sorry.

Busted...I'm not. I just find that a quick apology sidesteps anyone from digging into my anti-social personality.

Dexter is my friend.

h
KernelShepard

Nov 17, 2010
11:24 AM EDT
I remember back in the day there was a gtk news reader called The Pimp-Ass News Reader, which later became known as Pan.
gus3

Nov 17, 2010
1:27 PM EDT
@KS, I figured the name "Pan" just had to do with all the pr0n in the alt.* newsgroups.
helios

Nov 17, 2010
4:10 PM EDT
"Pan" just had to do with all the pr0n in the alt.* newsgroups.

Are you saying there's anything else there? Probably need to look into that.

or not...

h
hkwint

Nov 17, 2010
7:48 PM EDT
KS: And then, they "backwards change" the acronym, to something like "Popular Astonishing News Reader" or something; don't you just love that!

But SAP also did it BTW.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!