Uh oh

Story: Novell Will Be Acquired by Attachmate for $2.2 Billion, or $6.10 a ShareTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
herzeleid

Nov 22, 2010
3:47 PM EDT
"Novell will also sell some intellectual- property assets to a group technology companies led by Microsoft Corp. for $450 million."

This is a giant red flag, the DOJ ought to look into this - sounds like Novell may have just sold us out to microsoft, handing over materials they can use in their war on linux.
herzeleid

Nov 22, 2010
4:31 PM EDT
Ah, I see now that there is another thread on this same subject. Feel free to delete this whole redundant thread -
herzeleid

Nov 22, 2010
6:12 PM EDT
One thing I haven't seen clarified yet, and somebody feel free to clue me in if I missed it, is: "what about the ownership of unix - who gets that?"
jdixon

Nov 22, 2010
6:44 PM EDT
> ..."what about the ownership of unix - who gets that?"

"Attachmate is then going to get $450m to sell some unspecified intellectual property to a consortium called CPTN Holdings LLC"

We don't know for sure, but we can make some informed guesses.
hkwint

Nov 22, 2010
9:37 PM EDT
H: More articles following! Watch the newswire, there are some interesting articles coming.
herzeleid

Nov 24, 2010
5:19 PM EDT
Well this is fortunate -

Looks like microsoft doesn't get the unix copyrights...

http://www.novell.com/company/ir/message.html
hkwint

Nov 25, 2010
3:32 PM EDT
I think AttachMate would have been pretty stupid if they acquired "Suse Linux" but not the Unix Copyrights, that would've been asking for troubles...
herzeleid

Nov 25, 2010
9:44 PM EDT
Quoting:I think AttachMate would have been pretty stupid if they acquired "Suse Linux" but not the Unix Copyrights, that would've been asking for troubles...
Yes, one would think so.. but now it seems that Novell will keep the unix copyrights... so they become a shell company with no products, but holding the unix copyrights? I don't get it... what will their charter be?
jdixon

Nov 25, 2010
10:04 PM EDT
> I don't get it... what will their charter be?

Apparently they'll be a separate division of AttachMate.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!