Okay, that works........but......

Story: Configuring Places, Bookmarks, and Locations in KDE Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Ridcully

Dec 16, 2010
12:02 AM EDT
What Tavis describes works quite well ~ I just tried it out, however it does NOT approach the flexibility that was present in Konqueror in KDE3.5. All you are doing in the "Tavis procedure" is adding another "folder access link icon" to the left side of the Dolphin panel.....Click on that icon and you open its folder on the right hand side to display any subfolders or files. My impression is that in order to get Dolphin to approach the Konqueror layout you would have to copy over every individual folder and file in the Home directory onto that left hand panel, and also those in the Root directory, but you would also lose the single definitive tree structure of your entire system, unless you deleted Home and just kept Root.....And then from what I can see, you would also have to copy over every subfolder (and possibly its files) as well. I haven't dared to try it but I suspect the results would get a little messy.

The difference still remains that Konqueror had two separate panels: a tree structure of the entire system on the left and either a tree or an icon layout on the right and each could behave as separate entities: you could be opening and exploring the tree structure on the left hand side, but until you selected a final file or folder, the righthand side would not move from the last selection. And you could copy from one to the other and delete in either. If I am wrong, I apologise unreservedly, but as far as I can see, Dolphin still cannot automatically do what Konqueror can do, as far as I am concerned.

And while I am being a grouch, what really annoys me is that this type of article seems to indicate that what he is describing in Dolphin is incredibly novel and fantastic. As far as I am concerned, it isn't and it is down right mediocre compared to what Konqueror could do. All it suggests to me is that the writer hasn't used Konqueror in KDE3.5.
tracyanne

Dec 16, 2010
12:31 AM EDT
Quoting:And while I am being a grouch...

I don't think you are being a grouch. What you just described is one of the many things I miss from Konqueror in KDE 3.5.x. There appears to be a concerted effort to dumb down UIs and make them more like Windows and Mac. This is a net loss to Linux. I can see there will come a time where, from a usage and usability view, unless one is a CLI expert it won't matter which Operating system one is using.
Ridcully

Dec 16, 2010
3:00 AM EDT
@Tracyanne......your comment is one that I agree with very strongly.......I have been outside busy for a while and it was the sort of job that allows one to mentally go over a few things. Precisely your comment of "dumbing down" went through my mind. Both Dolphin and the Personal Settings Manger in KDE4 have been "dumbed down" considerably in my opinion and I am unable to comprehend the developers' reasons.

Frankly, what the KDE4 team has done is insulting to the serious Linux user and it has reached the point where the only real option is becoming Trinity and the KDE3.5 update........One can only hope that project keeps going as remarkably rapidly as it seems to be. I have myself on the mailing lists and the activity that I am seeing is astonishing with bugs, reports, updates, suggestions and corrections flying ~ sometime as many as 10-20 emails per day and I am only on a peripheral of the whole project.
dinotrac

Dec 16, 2010
11:43 AM EDT
Hmmmm. May have to give Trinity a try. I've gotten sort of accustomed to XFCE, but isn't KDE>
Bob_Robertson

Dec 16, 2010
1:18 PM EDT
> May have to give Trinity a try.

Couldn't agree more.

Let me know if you get a second "status" bar at the bottom of Konqueror-trinity, that's the only thing that is "new" that annoys me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!