Maybe these "Not-Usual" Linux Distros too

Story: My Five Favorite Not-Usual Linux DistrosTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
vainrveenr

Dec 19, 2010
1:50 AM EDT
Red Hat and Arch are certainly well-worth being attached to as installable distros. Another non-Ubuntu "not usual" installable distro is Salix OS. Caitlyn Martin wrote a fairly-thorough review about Salix OS in her DistroWatch feature story 'Taking a Long Look at Salix OS 13.1.1' found at http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100823#feature Like Arch, Salix could also be well-considered as a "sleek, clean, and efficient" lightweight, customizable, and highly securable distro.

As far as a rescue CD, SystemRescueCD, likewise, is a tough distro to match as being the the epitome of a "troubleshooting and fixit workhorse". Another much less "usual" rescue CD distro is Trinity Rescue Kit. TRK's main website is http://trinityhome.org/trk and its clear aim is for use as an MS Windows troubleshooting tool. Also viable as a Linux rescue tool as well. Schroder writes concerning Arch Linux:
Quoting:This is the best-documented Linux distro of all. Rather than wasting energy continually re-inventing poorly-designed GUI interfaces in place of good howtos, Arch relies on sensible design and good documentation.
Well, TRK seems to have a nice menu system, some sensible design, and decent documentation as well. It might be somewhat unfortunate that Belgium's TRK (based upon Mandriva) is simply not as well-publicised as France's SystemRescueCD (based upon Gentoo).

lcafiero

Dec 24, 2010
2:42 PM EDT
I'm glad that Qimo -- pronounced kim-o, not chemo -- was one of Carla's five distros. I've used it in a classroom setting in the past, and it's a very simple distro for kids to use.
gus3

Dec 24, 2010
6:31 PM EDT
So Qimo therapy isn't called for here?

/me ducks and runs very very fast
tuxchick

Dec 24, 2010
10:56 PM EDT
You better run gus3!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!