Warning Off Topic

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 100
Author Content
chalbersma

Jan 10, 2011
8:17 AM EDT
Oregon of Auburn National Title Game tonight folks who do you think will win speed or strength...

For the record I'm picking Oregon.
bigg

Jan 10, 2011
9:54 AM EDT
Oregon's non-conference schedule: New Mexico, Tennessee, Portland State. Ranked conference opponents: Stanford (to whom they gave up 31 points). Maybe Oregon really is good, but putting up good numbers against that schedule doesn't mean much.
hkwint

Jan 10, 2011
12:06 PM EDT
I don't even know what kinda sport?
bigg

Jan 10, 2011
12:36 PM EDT
College football (not soccer).
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2011
1:15 PM EDT
(i.e. rugby for pansies)
flufferbeer

Jan 10, 2011
2:42 PM EDT
American football in Seattle, Oregon, U.S.A.: Here's hoping that champion coach Bruce Boche keeps Kobe Bryant as the starting pitcher for the Seahawks so he'll rarely have to defend corner-kicks against the Vancouver Mighty Canucks across the border on the other side of Puget Sound-----thereby potentially raising his precious Earned Run Average due to penalty-box touchdowns from the pitcher's mound arising from icing the basketball! hee-hee. -fb
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2011
2:54 PM EDT
*note* our attempts to capture and medicate flufferbeer have yet failed to be successful. We laid large fly traps on the ground whilst watching him swim from tree top to tree top. Followed by an attempt to remove what ever he was swimming in by drinking everything in sight at several local pubs. *end note*

updates to follow pending coffee and aspirin
jdixon

Jan 10, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
I have a link to a great video concerning Auburn football, but it's unfortunately not family friendly. :(
tracyanne

Jan 10, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
Even Further off topic

Here is some local Australian Broadcasting Commission news reports of the flooding in queensland http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110450.htm?se...
chalbersma

Jan 11, 2011
5:00 AM EDT
wow that was so much more off topic than I expected...
vainrveenr

Jan 11, 2011
12:40 PM EDT
Quoting:Oregon of Auburn National Title Game tonight folks who do you think will win speed or strength...
Quoting:Here is some local Australian Broadcasting Commission news reports of the flooding in queensland http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110450.htm?se...

On a serious note on par with the flooding in Queensland, Australia, here is a YouTube video that is somewhat more on topic: 'Blog: Tucson Shootings, Thanks Linux, & Netflix Streaming' found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83GQ1eTHJ6Y . LXer Editor-in-Chief Scott Ruecker submitted a Linux and Netflix -related post last week entitled 'How to Setup HDMI Digital Playback in Linux' and found via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/146550

Also, the LXer Editor-in-Chief's homestate is Arizona, so perhaps the ongoing news of the horrid shooting-spree in Tucson may remain more vivid in his mind than yesterday's National Title Game??

Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
1:30 PM EDT
Yes, the shooting is the only thing anyone can talk about, its all over the news and will be for the immediate future.

Its just sad, no one had to die, bad gun laws or not, when someone wants a gun to kill people they will get one, no matter where they live.

Crazies are crazies and unfortunately they are everywhere..lol.
jimbauwens

Jan 11, 2011
1:37 PM EDT
Yes, I totally agree with that. In my country guns are forbidden, but the thing is that bad guys will always have them, and normal people not, so they can't defend them selves. And the bad guys know this, and its an advantage.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 11, 2011
2:39 PM EDT
"they will get one, no matter where they live"

...and...

"And the bad guys know this, and its an advantage."

Indeed.

Machiavelli had insightful things to say about prohibitions on arms:

"For among other evils which being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised, and this is one of those ignominies against which a prince ought to guard himself, as is shown later on. Because there is nothing proportionate between the armed and the unarmed; and it is not reasonable that he who is armed should yield obedience willingly to him who is unarmed, or that the unarmed man should be secure among armed servants."

20 casualties, 6 fatal. Two of the Anointed Class (a Judge and a Politician), one cute 9 year old girl, and 17 whose names I have not heard anyone say.

One of the heros who tackled the killer was himself armed, but chose to act boldly bodily instead. He later said that having recourse to his private weapon helped him to choose action over cowering, and although I have heard nothing of the other hero it is these two who deserve accolade while we also mourn the cost of mortal frailty.

Is it time to bring up Copyright?
bigg

Jan 11, 2011
3:11 PM EDT
I'm just thankful that the title of the thread finally got fixed before it gave me a breakdown.
gus3

Jan 11, 2011
3:28 PM EDT
You mean it isn't supposed to be "Wearing Off Topic"?
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
3:28 PM EDT
Your welcome bigg..lol.

Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
3:53 PM EDT
Amazing video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12161502
skelband

Jan 11, 2011
4:24 PM EDT
@Bob

One of the things that disturbed me before I moved to Canada from the UK was the gut reaction to remove arms from legitimate users because of some of the shootings that there had been.

I feel for the relatives of shooting victims but I hate these calls to clamp down on the civil liberties of everyone else just because we have some nutcases in the community. If someone wants to commit murder, they will find a way whether it be gun, knife, poison, explosive, whatever.

Society survives because the vast majority would not contemplate doing these acts and we trust that people are like this. Let's face it, if I decided to make a bomb and take it onto the bus with me, there is nothing to stop me. I just wouldn't do it because the thought is repugnant to me.

So someone with mental issues decides to do the unthinkable. There are calls from concerned people to clamp down on this and ban that in order to be seen to do "something". Sorry, there will always be nutters and there will always be travesties. It is as futile as the calls to stop international terrorist atrocities.

People imagine that the restrictions on what you can take on the plane or what can be carried in luggage and "security" at the airport, patting people down and looking at X-rays of people is what keeps the terrorists at bay. Sorry, but physically committing a gross act of this kind is simplicity itself. And the last place I would do it is on a plane.

The reason why it does not happen more often is that people do not want to do it. Why else do terrorists need indoctrination camps and brainwashing to make people do these things? It goes against the whole human condition to deliberately harm your fellow man.
hkwint

Jan 11, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
Huh? I thought we already had this discussion more than three years ago? Still not done?
skelband

Jan 11, 2011
5:31 PM EDT
@hkwint:

Hah! Showing your age! I'm a relative newcomer to the LXer.

So what was the conclusion?

Perhaps Bob is right though. It's never the wrong time to talk about Copyright! :D
bigg

Jan 11, 2011
5:38 PM EDT
> So what was the conclusion?

That we disagree and that it's a violation of the TOS.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 11, 2011
8:52 PM EDT
> "Wearing Off Topic"?

Would that be where I talk about my keyboard space bar and "home line" keys getting really smooth? The "wearing off topic"?

> "It goes against the whole human condition to deliberately harm your fellow man."

Indeed. At the same time, there is in most people a deep reflex to obey an authority figure.

It would be interesting to know if those who can overcome their repugnance to murder fall more into the obey or disobey sides. Likely just as random as any other human condition.

> It's never the wrong time to talk about Copyright!

I'll get the jello, you get the chopsticks.
tracyanne

Jan 11, 2011
8:57 PM EDT
Can I remove my post from this thread, I don't want to be part of this discussion, as I'm trying very hard not to post things that upset people round here.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 11, 2011
9:37 PM EDT
@skelband; Yes we have had this conversation some time ago and unfortunately it delves rather quickly into TOS violation land..

@Tracyanne: I see no reason to delete it, your fine.

jdixon

Jan 11, 2011
9:55 PM EDT
> ...as I'm trying very hard not to post things that upset people round here.

Your restraint is appreciated, TA. I've stayed out of the conversation too, for similar reasons.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 11, 2011
10:29 PM EDT
Please take me along when you slide on down......

The things you think are useless I don't understand.

Peg.

Wait, is Steely Dan ever off-topic?
hkwint

Jan 12, 2011
2:49 AM EDT
TA: Still dry and OK where you live?

Until now, I had the idea what happened in Australia was just "another flood" like we see from time to time around the world.

But recently as people died and (large?) parts of Brisbane were evacuated, I think the situation is pretty terrible. ~17000km from here is a bit hard to imagine for me, never been even close, but we see some pictures from time to time and it's on the TV-news (which I didn't watch for some days).

I'm really concerned about all Australians living in the area, and I hope everybody is save. And wish you all the best, hoping the water will not do any harm to you and where you're living. I looked it up on Google Maps, though I'm not sure how it relates to the flooded area shown on some maps.

BTW Can somebody tell me who won the match? I'm eager to know! Think I found out the other team (Auburn) was from Alabama. And was the game important compared to the Superbowl, or is the Superbowl another order of magnitude?
tracyanne

Jan 12, 2011
5:06 AM EDT
Thanks for asking hk. 75% of Queensland has been declared a disaster area, there have been 8 deaths, and 21 still missing. The Brisbane river is expected to peak sometime around 4 AM with the high tide. This flood is already worse than the 1974 floods, so all floods will be compared to the 2011 floods from now on.

The link I posted further up the page should give you some idea of the scale of the thing. We've been whatching footage of boats and their moorings floating down the Brisbane river, an the boats being crushed under bridges. Sever towns to the West of brisbane have been all but wiped out, the City of Ipswich, also West of Brisbane, is under water.

Where we are we're fine, we got off lightly, in fact my partner and I didn't even notice the peak on our river, it hit 6 to 7 meters, an out bridge which is 4 meters was well and truely under water, but it only lasted a few hours. Our biggest problem is whether the shops will run out of food, before this is over. there's plenty of people panic buying, so that's a possibility. We managed to fill the car yesterday, but most of the petrol stations are empty.

We avoided the petrol Station where we normally buy from, because they have ethnol enhanced unleaded, because there was a line up there about 100 cars long. We later heard the police were called because fights broke out.

My Partner and I are fine for food we've freezers full of fish.

Just heard that Bull Sharks have been spotted as far inland as Goodna http://www.maplandia.com/australia/queensland/ipswich/goodna... which is a long way inland from the ocean. So there's probably now sharks for the people in flooded areas to worry about, as well as the usual stuff from overflowing septic and sewrage. Just as well Brisbane is too far South for Salt water Crocodiles.

bigg

Jan 12, 2011
7:07 AM EDT
@tracyanne

It's good to hear that you are okay. LXer has been my only news source on this. The coverage has been limited in the US, you have to be looking for the story to find it. It makes a difference when you actually see how it affects lives rather than just seeing buried headlines about Australian flooding.

@hans

Auburn won largely due to an unusual play. I don't know how college and professional football compare, college football is pretty big, and this is of course the biggest game of the year.
tracyanne

Jan 12, 2011
8:08 AM EDT
One way to imagine the scope of the area affected by the floods is to imagine all of alaska under water.... Queensland is bigger than Alaska.
jdixon

Jan 12, 2011
11:11 AM EDT
> Wait, is Steely Dan ever off-topic?

That depends. I wouldn't start quoting "Don't Take Me Alive" in this context.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 12, 2011
12:39 PM EDT
Glad you're ok, and that you have food available. Clean water becomes a real problem during floods.

> One way to imagine the scope of the area affected by the floods

One of the things to overcome is the near impossibility of imagining how FLAT Australia is. The reason Alaska could not be under water, is that there are hills and mountains that, no matter how deep the water became, would still stick out.

Even here on the NC coastal plain, the horrible flooding of 1999 only effected part of the area, because it's not actually flat even here.

I wonder if the remarkable flatness is due to a geologic history in Australia of just such floods, leveling things out. Hmmmm.....

> I wouldn't start quoting "Don't Take Me Alive" in this context.

I'll have to look that one up.

How about "Barret's Privateers", it mentioned armed boats.
vainrveenr

Jan 12, 2011
1:38 PM EDT
Quoting:One of the things to overcome is the near impossibility of imagining how FLAT Australia is. The reason Alaska could not be under water, is that there are hills and mountains that, no matter how deep the water became, would still stick out.
Hills and mountains versus low-lying areas.

Less than 3000km Southeast of Brisbane is the southern part of New World Zealand, lying above sealevel on the Tasman Sea. Near its global antipode lies the Old World Zeeland of the Netherlands, lying below sealevel on the North Sea.

Reason for mentioning this fact is that nearly fifty-eight years ago in the generation of hkwint's grandparents, absolutely devastating floods -- perhaps even worse than the Queensland floods? -- arose when the walls keeping out the storming North Sea failed.

A website in English describing the massive NL flood of 1953 is Deltawerken online's 'The Flood of 1953' found at http://www.deltawerken.com/89

Even though the flood of '53 was fifty-eight years ago, the graphic footage and description depicted here remarkably parallels the current Queensland situation.

Here is an excerpt of the Deltawerken site that describes the damage from the NL flood of 1953, located "~17000km from here[Queensland]":
Quoting:Many people were woken up that night because of the water. They were shut in their own homes and had to try to save themselves. Houses collapsed because of the awesome power of the water. Telephone and radio communications were cut off.

On the morning of February 1st, the tide was finally able to retreat and the water level dropped. Some people seized the opportunity to move to higher areas, while others continued to take refuge on the roofs of their houses. There were individual rescue operations taking place. Villagers in boats were looking for victims and helping them get to higher land. The severity of the situation was still not known to the outside world, due to the lost road connections. It therefore took a while before large-scale rescue operations got under way.

Through enormous hole in the dike water makes itself a way to the lower laid land. Dike destroyed The situation worsened when there was a second flood in the afternoon of February 1st. This flood cost even more lives. Because the dikes had already been breached, the water flowed into the polders with ease. Many houses that survived the first flood collapsed during this one. People and livestock were swept away by the fast moving water. Drowning people grabbed desperately to anything they could that was also drifting in the water, hoping to either be saved or reach higher areas. For many people though, the help came too late; for others, another cold, dark night fell.
(from http://www.deltawerken.com/Devastating-Powers/484.html )

May this serve as another emphatic reminder of the devastation floodwater currents will cause!

tracyanne

Jan 12, 2011
4:48 PM EDT
Quoting:One of the things to overcome is the near impossibility of imagining how FLAT Australia is. The reason Alaska could not be under water, is that there are hills and mountains that, no matter how deep the water became, would still stick out.

I should have qualified that, I was trying to demonstrate the area affected.

Quoting:I wonder if the remarkable flatness is due to a geologic history in Australia of just such floods, leveling things out. Hmmmm.....

Well maybe, but Australia is an old landmass, and as a consequence very weathered. As Ridcully pointed out most of the cetral, West and north in to the Gulf country of Queensland is flood plain.

Yes that report from the 1953 floods in Holland sound much like what was happening in the Brisbane river catchment.

The good news is the peak has passed, and the cleanup has begun.
tracyanne

Jan 12, 2011
9:11 PM EDT
The rain has moved down into New South Wales and Victoria, Id say NSW is likely to suffer from the run off from Queensland particularly the Murry catchment.
hkwint

Jan 13, 2011
5:17 AM EDT
Indeed, in '53 1800 people drowned, mainly in the province adjacent to where I live (called "Zealand" BTW) and some in my province as well. I live at the edge of the area which flooded back then.

I think that's why there's much interest for about every flood in our country. Nowadays, floods over here aren't nearly as bad as back then, but still living in our bathtub below sealevel (I live 'at' sealevel) there's a constant concern of floods. Any flood happening somewhere in the world reminds us of the potential risk.

Brisbane was on the news again, and they told the water has peaked, though it will take some days before it's gone. So I'm happy the worst seems to be over!
tracyanne

Jan 17, 2011
8:30 PM EDT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/4548917/River-rescue-as-sex-...
Bob_Robertson

Jan 17, 2011
9:32 PM EDT
"The incident prompted a warning from police that blow-up sex toys are "not recognised flotation devices''."

Best laugh I've had since September.
chalbersma

Jan 19, 2011
8:30 PM EDT
Congrats guys this is the most off topic thread I've ever seen. :)
tracyanne

Jan 19, 2011
10:01 PM EDT
we're going for the record.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 20, 2011
8:42 PM EDT
I had a great time tonight at a client's, trying to sync his Dell Axim to his new Dell laptop.

1) Three different Microsoft outlooks installed. Deleted two.

2) Got the PDA to connect to his Wifi.

3.0) Win7 won't do ActiveSync, only LiveSync. 3.1) PDA won't do LiveSync, only ActiveSync. 3.2) Windows Update won't run on PDA due to obsolete version of I.E. 3.3) No indication that I could find that I.E. could be updated on PDA. 3.4) Dell support out to lunch.

This is what Microsoft calls "progress".
tracyanne

Jan 20, 2011
9:01 PM EDT
Quoting:This is what Microsoft calls "progress".

That's Microsoft's "Life Without Walls"... it just goes to prove you can't have Windows without walls.
tracyanne

Jan 20, 2011
9:05 PM EDT
While we are completely off topic... has anyone had any experience with Telstra mf626i 3G Wireless Modem
helios

Jan 21, 2011
11:27 AM EDT
@ TA

Aside from a 20 foot toss to the trash? No.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 21, 2011
12:16 PM EDT
I've been testing the Clear 4G USB - of course it doesn't work on 4G in Linux, but it does work on 3G (it's the Sprint network), and I've had great success that way. NetworkManager autoconfigures it in Debian Squeeze, and all I had to do was choose Sprint as the network.

Yeah, it doesn't do 4G, and that's a bit of a deal-breaker. But if they have 3G working, I'm hoping its only a matter of time before 4G works out of the box the same way.

In Windows it has its own software that it loads off the USB device, but in Linux everything's built-in (with GNOMEish Debian anyway) and it's easier to get going, like many things in Linux that are less kludgy than in Windows.

Since they sent this to me for a trial (and yes, I'm supposed to send it back), I'll have to write it up soon.
helios

Jan 21, 2011
12:24 PM EDT
I had it working fine with 3g but I had consistent connectivity problems and just gave up on it. It was given to me and since I am a sprint customer anyway, I had the data plan. I just got sick of the drops and reconnects. Tested on three devices with the same problems.

It is encouraging to see devices like this working OOTB with Linux though...
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 21, 2011
12:39 PM EDT
I first tried the 3g/4g at my office, which is in an area that's very ... officey, for lack of a better word. We've got tons of office buildings, tons of condos and apartments -- by this I mean there are a whole lot of people in the area.

But both the Sprint 3g and Clearwire 4g services were terrible. I couldn't connect on either one.

At home, which is a similarly dense area, yet more residential and way less packed with offices, I have excellent coverage on both 3g and 4g. I must be right near a Sprint tower.

It's one of those things with any kind of wireless broadband - you really need to find out if the reception is good/bad/horrible at the places you're going to use it most. It's nice to have good service at home, where I have a DSL connection, but it would be better to have it at the office where there's no alternative (except plugged-in Ethernet if I happen to be near said plug).
Bob_Robertson

Jan 21, 2011
3:18 PM EDT
> Since they sent this to me for a trial (and yes, I'm supposed to send it back), I'll have to write it up soon.

Hey!

I'm unemployed right now, how does one get such a gig? I'd love to do tech reviews.
gus3

Jan 21, 2011
4:55 PM EDT
In a world without fences or walls, who needs Gates or Windows?
jdixon

Jan 21, 2011
10:13 PM EDT
> ...how does one get such a gig?

I assume it helps to work for a newspaper and write tech columns.
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2011
1:53 AM EDT
speaking of gigs it look like I'll get my first gig as a guitarist in a couple of weeks. Yay for me.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 22, 2011
9:00 AM EDT
Congrats, TA. And more power to you. I never had the nerve to perform in public.
jdixon

Jan 22, 2011
2:34 PM EDT
> I never had the nerve to perform in public.

The nerve's never been a problem for me. Talent, on the other hand... :)
Bob_Robertson

Jan 22, 2011
3:42 PM EDT
Oh, I can sing, no question about that.

Just not in front of .....people....
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2011
7:00 PM EDT
Thanks, I'll let you all know about the nerve bit in a couple of weeks time, In the mean time I'm really excited.
jdixon

Jan 23, 2011
12:04 AM EDT
> Just not in front of .....people....

http://harrychapin.com/music/tanner.shtml :)
tracyanne

Jan 25, 2011
6:24 PM EDT
Just so you all know, it's the 26th of January over here. Which means .... it's Australia day. A where all Australians, except the hardworking organisers of Australia day celebrations get the day off work, while the rest of us slack off and have a barbie and a beer and take in a game of cricket and whatch the fireworks later this evening. or just slap on the sunsceen and veg on the beach.

Me, I'll probably get the ride on out and mow the lawns.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2011
6:51 PM EDT
"I'll probably get the ride on out and mow the lawns."

Be glad you don't have to do it in a boat. :^)

Happy Australia Day.
jdixon

Jan 25, 2011
7:22 PM EDT
> it's Australia day

Hope it's a good one, TA.
hkwint

Jan 26, 2011
4:56 PM EDT
Bob: Start by calling yourself an "independent tech consultant" and make up a lóóooong list of Fortune500 companies you worked for, start saying nice things about Windows Phone 7 / Microsoft Azure Cloud / OOXML / Win7 on tablets on Wikipedia and you might end up with an Acer Ferrari for Christmas.

Of course, it would be better to start your own bank, because the best way to rob a bank... Well, I'm pretty sure you know what I'm referring to.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 26, 2011
7:35 PM EDT
In reference to the above Windows laptop/PDA combination/conflict, a funny thing happened.

I ran into the client's wife at the grocery store, it turned out that the next time they turned the units on, they synched just fine.

Baka!
jdixon

Jan 26, 2011
9:50 PM EDT
> ...it would be better to start your own bank,

Hmm. Bob's Bank. I could go for that.
gus3

Jan 27, 2011
3:23 PM EDT
"After all, what is the robbing of a bank, compared to the founding of a bank?" -- L'Opéra de quat'sous
Bob_Robertson

Jan 27, 2011
7:56 PM EDT
http://www.chappellhillbank.com/

http://www.kens5.com/news/Texas-bank-welcomes-legally-armed-...

Wish I'd thought of that.
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2011
8:40 PM EDT
Cyclone Yasi
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
9:59 PM EDT
Being south of the equator, I thought it would have been "anti-cyclone Yasi"?

When I was working at NASA, I had a bunch of people online fooled into thinking that the Space Shuttle had to rotate while taking off because of the Coriolis Effect. "If it were in the southern hemisphere, it would have to turn the other way."

The picture provided sure looks like it's spinning "cyclonic", as in counter-clockwise. I really thought that was a northern hemisphere thing.

Edit:

Found a moving picture at http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html and sure enough, clockwise movement. Southern hemisphere, I'm not crazy, basic science works.

I must say, since this is the first "clockwise" storm I've seen moving, it's freaky.

Hopefully not too much flooding!
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2011
10:11 PM EDT
We have friends who live in Charters towers, inland from the point of landfall, they in direct line of the storm. So we are a bit worried, as they are an elderly couple. Apparently there is nowhere to evacuate people to in the Charters Towers area, so the SES has advised people to go to their bathroom, get in the bath, if they have one, and pile matresses and other bedding over themselves.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
10:15 PM EDT
I know in the really big storms that hit Florida, tornados inside the hurricane are a serious problem.

The "in the bathtub under a mattress" sounds like that is what is being expected for your folks too.

Good luck, nature knows no mercy.
tracyanne

Feb 02, 2011
1:09 AM EDT
The rain has arrived where we are. Oddly there is still plenty of blue sky here.

The weather station that was tracking the storm, it's on a island just of the coast from landfall, has been obliterated. The meterologists managed to get off safely before the storm hit the island.

From the satilite images the coast is getting a battering from high seas, probaly as far South as Lord Howe Island (about 500Km east of Port Macquarie).
tracyanne

Feb 02, 2011
2:24 AM EDT
This should give some idea how big Cyclone Yasi is
Ridcully

Feb 02, 2011
3:13 AM EDT
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/

For anyone wishing to look at this horror of a storm, the above link takes you to the Aust Met Bureau site....click on the Queensland map and you can explore the various radars still active. As Tracyanne said, Willis Island has been "obliterated". It is a coral cay with a weather station and is nearly flat. Since tidal surges of 7 metres are the latest predictions I have seen, this suggests that the seas simply rolled over the island and the station is currently "drowned"....I saw the radar plot just before Willis Island went "off-air" and the cyclone's eye was to pass right over the top of the island. Since the eye is 50km wide, that would be a terrifying experience of dead calm with a storm wall containing 300kph winds all around you.

Most of our cyclones drop into a tropical low once they cross over land and disintegrate. Yasi is so big, the BOM tracks indicate it will still be a cyclone at intensity 1 or 2 about 500-1000 km inland. I am pretty much outside any effects of the storm, and it is blue skies with a few clouds, but looks like Tracyanne is getting the tail end of the rain clouds. Without wanting to sound trite, my sympathy and thoughts really go out to the people of N Queensland in this monster's path. From everything I am seeing and reading, this almost makes Brisbane's flooding irrelevant......the last I saw was that at least 30,000 homes will be flooded by tidal surges and as you can imagine, untilies such as power will be chaotic.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 02, 2011
8:11 AM EDT
Yep, that's a big-un. There was a satellite photograph in one of the aquariums here that showed a big storm from 1999 as it hit the North Carolina coast, the cyclonic cloud pattern reached all the way to Toronto and Kansas, in beautiful symmetry. And massive flooding.

There's good reason that the hurricane season is watched so closely, and that so many people were deeply frightened by the predictions that "2005 will be the worst hurricane season ever!" So glad that it didn't come to pass.

In the words of the sage, "this too shall pass." Prepare for the coming, plan for the recovery.

This is one of the ones that I remember seeing pictures from Florida of entire towns flattened by the tornados inside the hurricane:

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-andrew-1992
jdixon

Feb 02, 2011
10:57 AM EDT
I still remember Hurricane Agnes from 1972: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agnes

She was only a category one hurricane, but the flooding and damages were absolutely devastating to much of the eastern US. Her rain pattern covered the entire eastern half of the US. This one sounds like a combination of Katrina and Agnes, both a major storm and major flooding.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 02, 2011
1:31 PM EDT
I looked up Camile on Stormpulse above, remembering it being cited in Forest Gump. "God Showed Up."

That is a very nasty line of dark red dots. Ugh.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 04, 2011
10:43 AM EDT
I would like to state for the record that it is as cold as all get out here in PHX! Its been down into the mid 20's at night and the 40's in the day..Thought I left this stuff back east..lol. Still, no snow, sleet, or ice..I can live with that..

;-)
gus3

Feb 04, 2011
4:00 PM EDT
Forties in the day? That would be a heat wave right now....
Bob_Robertson

Feb 04, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
Scott,

There's a good reason that the Estrella war that the SCA puts on every year in Phoenix AZ in February is very well attended.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 04, 2011
4:52 PM EDT
I almost started going to that and other SCA events..alas I decided I wanted a girlfriend instead if at all possible..;-)

azerthoth

Feb 04, 2011
6:31 PM EDT
Find a girlfriend at a SCA event, it increases the odds that A: she's a geek too, B: you'll be allowed to go to another one.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 04, 2011
6:35 PM EDT
> Find a girlfriend at a SCA event

Worked well for me for a while, but that was then. No SCA in eastern NC. Baptists, yes.
tracyanne

Feb 04, 2011
6:55 PM EDT
Quoting:20's at night and the 40's in the day

That's about the temperature range in Queensland right now.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 05, 2011
7:35 AM EDT
SCA? There are fellow sword geeks in here? Cool! I'm a regular over at MyArmoury.com. Also, I'm a member of this: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl

And yes, my girlfriend is a geek. Both a sword geek as a computer/Linux geek.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 06, 2011
12:32 AM EDT
Just out of curiosity.. is there a Linux music player that doesn't crash every other time I open it? Rhythmbox and juk both are big POS's as far as I am concerned. Won't play half my music, import files or do JACK SQUAT! without crashing every EFFING time!

Please please give me something other than the POS's I have been downloading..please?

It would be nice to have a music player that actually recognized and played the music on my HD..

herzeleid

Feb 06, 2011
12:45 AM EDT
@Scott -

Just out of curiosity do you have some special situation there? I've been using rhythmbox for years; nothing spectacular but it's the ubuntu default and it works and I've never seen it crash. Are you doing something weird? Maybe storing your music on a remote windoze peecee accessed with samba or something like that?

That said, I have heard good things about guayadeque - http://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/
jdixon

Feb 06, 2011
12:46 AM EDT
> ...is there a Linux music player that doesn't crash every other time I open it?

Almost certainly. :) The problem is that there are so many it might take weeks to try all of them. :(

I've usually used noatun in KDE 3.5. I haven't tried any of the replacements or equivalents offered in KDE 4. However, in addition to the various command line music players, one of the ones I have looked at is zinf, and it been fairly usable. It doesn't seem to want to take over your music collection quite as much as some of the more recent ones.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 06, 2011
3:40 AM EDT
Sorry for my diatribe, was kinda upset when I typed that..

Bob_Robertson

Feb 06, 2011
9:29 AM EDT
Speaking of audio players, I've always liked Audacious, but for some reason the last two installs of it have worked only for a short time.

Then, for no reason I can discern and that never works again (even after a purge and reinstall), the GUI will not come up at all. Sometimes the music will play, if I give it a specific file through file association or command line, but that's it.

...so I use XINE instead. It handles streaming play-lists just fine.
jdixon

Feb 06, 2011
10:38 AM EDT
> ...so I use XINE instead.

Yes, Xine handles audio with no problems. If you can find a way to turn off that stupid video junk modern players insist on adding (visualization, I think they call it).
Bob_Robertson

Feb 06, 2011
10:48 AM EDT
I don't turn it off, I just minimize it.

Sometimes it's interesting to see what the frequency utilization is, how different recording schemes clip the bass, or treble, how it "sounds" to the ear, etc.

But yes, this is one reason I like Audacious so much...if it would only work.
hkwint

Feb 06, 2011
11:36 AM EDT
Scott: Feces happen. I can tell, because a big pile of it about the size of Mount Everest happened to me today (MHO), see the result below...

Maybe try QMMP, it's the best no-nonsense WinAmp-clone in my opinion. Have been using it as it takes more time to load Amarok than most stars live.
hkwint

Feb 06, 2011
-
hkwint

Feb 06, 2011
Sorry, posted three times...
jimbauwens

Feb 06, 2011
11:45 AM EDT
I'm going of topic : (like this whole topic)

@Australians, what is happening with your country?
First floods, then storms, and now forest fires...
jdixon

Feb 06, 2011
2:48 PM EDT
> ...what is happening with your country?

Bad things always happen in threes. Or, to quote a semi-famous advertising line, "It never rains but it pours".
tracyanne

Feb 06, 2011
4:38 PM EDT
Quoting:@Australians, what is happening with your country? First floods, then storms, and now forest fires...

Atheist Prime Minister apparently.

Seriously though, we get Floods and Fires and cyclones every year, some of each are individually just as bad as each of this years reported events. This year we got them all at once.

It was only 8 years ago that we had the masssive bushfires that burnt out most of Canbera and half the high country in NSW and Victoria, and almost destroyed the Mt Stombo Observatory, and killed a lot of people.

After the Massive floods in Brisbane, our leaders seem to have managed to mobilise the emergency services to a new level of preparedness... for example as bad as Yasi was there was only one death during the cyclone, a young bloke who had a generator running in his room, died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Anna Bligh, Queenslands Premier has been every where organising, freeing up funds, simply being a fantastic leader, just when we needed good leadership. Julia Gillard has done what we expect of a PM and made money and the Army available, so we really can't complain about the response from of State and Federal Governments..... No doubt we will at some point though.

Just on a side note Anna Bligh was directly affected by the Brisbane floods, her Mother's house was flooded out and they lost many personal items.
tracyanne

Feb 13, 2011
8:57 AM EDT
Well that's over. I played my first gig, and the worst that could happen happened, I broke a string and didn't have a replacementt.

I got one good tune out of our set.

It came out surprisingly well, as all I did was sit the netbook, I used to record on, on top of my amplifier, and the balance was really good you can hear the drums and the bass, and Shannon on rhythm and of course me on lead really clear.

I was as nervous as all get up, everyone was tell me it's ok relax, but damn it all it was MY first time, not theirs.

It was really only Shannon and myself, but some of the other Musos joined us, so we ended up with a Bass guitarist and a Drummer, pretty cool really.

Now I have to find a way to get the recording up for everyone to hear.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 13, 2011
9:16 AM EDT
> Now I have to find a way to get the recording up for everyone to hear.

Isn't that what BitTorrent and The Pirate Bay is for?
gus3

Feb 13, 2011
7:01 PM EDT
Just announce that you'll never, never, never ever put it on the Internet.

Then wait a few days... and check Wikileaks.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2011
7:57 AM EDT
As promised http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Kw17O5IJA my very first gig.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2011
8:13 AM EDT
In the process of creating this "video" I got to try out OpenShot, it reall is an incredibly easy to use video editor. Anyone who trys to tell you there are no decent easy to use video editing tool for Linux is talking through their posterior. It really couldn't be simpler.

You cannot post until you login.