Why the fuss? Welcome another Ubuntu+Gnome Distro...

Story: First Ever Release of Elementary OS Total Replies: 20
Author Content
Jeff91

Jan 14, 2011
10:20 AM EDT
Maybe I am missing something here, but why exactly is this going to be a "big deal"? As far as I can see it is just another distro joining the ranks of Ubuntu derivatives with a different default application set.

~Jeff
hkwint

Jan 14, 2011
12:28 PM EDT
Probably because this configuration / package collection of Debian is even better in mimicking OS X!
Jeff91

Jan 14, 2011
2:34 PM EDT
Yep. And so is PinguyOS and MoonOS now XD
hkwint

Jan 14, 2011
2:45 PM EDT
Seems I do a lousy job of trying to follow "Linux-news", as I never heard of those two Ubuntu derivatives. I can't imagine how I missed those two best-ever life changing worldwide peace-causing distro's? Yeah, I definitely should pay more attention!
flufferbeer

Jan 26, 2011
9:08 PM EDT
@Jeff91.......................................... I think it's ironic, 'cause YOUR VERY OWN Boodhi Linux is yet another Ubuntu Distro...

Really, someone should come up with a good acronym with all these Ubuntu derivatives, or even for those Debian derivatives for that matter (although I see they're far rarer). I'll start off by suggesting the simple "yaudd" standing for Yet Another Ubuntu Derived Disto

@hkwint,..................................... Is vanilla Ubuntu really really that terribly bad, what with the yaudd's Linux Mint, Peppermint, the "oh no ya just GOTTA try jeff91's Boodhi!", the ElementaryOS, PinguyOS, MoonOS, anything with buntu other than the default "U" 1st, ...etcetera, etcetera etcetera????? (maybe yaudda yaudda yauda :heh heh:) Maybe we ALL should pay attention to this, and tell the high and mighty Mark Shuttleworth what is going on here. Just a thought.... -fb
tuxchick

Jan 26, 2011
9:32 PM EDT
UbunTunes, music store for Linux users.

UbunTude, when you think your distro is best.

X-Ubuntu, don't like it anymore.

Ubumtu, for homeless people.

Ubunut, sometimes you feel like a.

TooBuntu, it's all too much.

I want some red roses for a BlueBuntu.
Jeff91

Jan 27, 2011
12:27 AM EDT
@flufferbeer My Bodhi is no different from the projects such as Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu. We provide an Ubuntu base with a different default desktop, for those that don't want to have to go through the hassle of removing Gnome and installing their desktop of choice. We also provide regular development snap shots of that desktop (Enlightenment) to our users. Configuring Enlightenment can be a chore for new users, we are simplifying that process.

Until Bodhi's release in late November there hadn't been a current Ubuntu derivative using the E17 desktop by default for over a year.

Notice the topic of the title is "Ubuntu + Gnome Distro". I have no problem with Ubuntu derivatives, they just really need to do something better/different or their release is kinda pointless IMO. Things like Linux Mint and PinguyOS DO improve on Ubuntu, its just that at this point many of the other projects coming out of the woodwork are just copies of these.

~Jeff Hoogland

flufferbeer

Jan 27, 2011
2:19 AM EDT
@jeff91 Yeah, target the messenger and not the message. THAT'll work every time :uh huh: Your top words back on you: As far as I can see yours is just another distro joining the ranks of Ubuntu derivatives with a different default desktop. Message clear:: yaudd (=YetAnotherUbuntuDeriveDistro)

@tuxchick, More good yaudd names: Librebuntu if absolutely NO proprietary software gets in (yes, I know that there's already gNewsense)............................Terabuntu when it starts to take up many DVDs...................Horribuntu or Terribuntu or Vexubuntu if you can't even get it to install right the 1st time............................the political Obamabuntu for the U.S., Ruttebuntu for hkwint, Gillardubuntu for tracyanne,...(I hope that this isn't going against the TOS)

I already saw there are the yaudd's LUbuntu with LXDE and Fluxbuntu with Fluxbox. Didn't see any yaudd's based on Enlightenment though untill jeff91's............................................. Once other 'buntu fanbois get it together to name an actual mainstream Enlightenment-based yaudd like Jeff91's, then this could be maybe named Budhuntu, Jefubuntu, Hooglabuntu (for lastname Hoogland), Jehoobuntu, Jenubuntu (with ENlightenment in it get it?), Enubuntu, ...yaudda yaudda yaudda, ENough! Oh, I see somewhere that there is already an Enlightenment-based yaudd liveCD called "Ebuntu". Okay.

At least here's hoping that all the yaudd's taken all-together could finally overtake Lo$edow$ on the desktop......................................... My 2c.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 27, 2011
1:03 PM EDT
I find a lot of value in distros built around a particular desktop environment. Generally they're set up better for that DE out of the box. I'd rather run Bodhi than stock Ubuntu with Enlightenment.
tracyanne

Jan 27, 2011
4:28 PM EDT
Gillardubuntu.... ah the slow measured tones of Gillardubuntu.

On another note I've been looking at the latest incarnation of Ubuntu 11.04 and it's unity desktop. Interestingly the full 3D version fixes some of my objections, the 2D version doesn't (as far as I can tell at the moment), there's a Compiz Fusion plugin that among other things makes that left hand panel hide when not in use. With the addition of a decent menu system (not that horrible copy of the Mac where the file manager is launched, opened in a folder that contains the application launchers), but something more like the Linux Mint one with proper categories would be quite nice, both on tablets and other small devices and on full size desktops.

It's actually easier to navigate round the unity desktop, even the version that is supposed to be for full size desktops, using the mouse pad. It's not really a full size desktop DE. On my netbook, using the non netbook version it's quite pleasant to use... with the mousepad, which shows it's really designed for tablets and such rather than full size desktops, and they are trying to shoehorn it onto a full size desktop.
caitlyn

Jan 27, 2011
5:23 PM EDT
I would have thought an E17 desktop Ubuntu respin would have been called Eubuntu, pronounced like ewe but really stretched out to express dislike. :)
gus3

Jan 27, 2011
5:52 PM EDT
Eeewwwwbuntu!
tracyanne

Jan 27, 2011
7:08 PM EDT
digerdutu it comes with three themes, the main theme predominantly sunburnt reds and oranges with a green border, and 2 seasonal colours, Fire red with Black and grey white highlghts, and muddy water blue.

It comes jam packed with media applications, especially music creation tools.
Koriel

Jan 28, 2011
12:17 PM EDT
I tried Enlightenment about a month ago on PCLinuxOS but it requires a serious amount of configuration to get it close to anything like useable and the way configuration is handled is not incredibly intuitive and this comes from a regular Slack user which has its own built in configuration environment called a text editor.

I admit it did look incredible and was very fast & light in the amount of resources it consumed but configuration was a serious let down and that is just a plain no no when it comes to a modern desktop so it lasted a sum total of 3 days on my system which is 2 days more than i normally give a DE to grab me, at which point it was back to XFCE. If they were to improve configuration then it would be a serious contender for my desktop space as i was impressed with its performance.

So for now my favourite desktops remain XFCE and KDE 4.

The one thing the KDE4 team has got right is its configuration, considering just how many option permutations their are for this DE they have managed to organise it in a manner suitable for both the novice or advanced user even though as some folks have already noticed their terminology in some cases sucks.

As for XFCE even my 3 year old can configure that which has forced me to remove all links to the settings manager so he doesn't get at it :)

jdixon

Jan 28, 2011
1:42 PM EDT
> ...which has forced me to remove all links to the settings manager so he doesn't get at it...

Wait till (s)he finds out how to access it from the command line. :)
Jeff91

Jan 28, 2011
5:16 PM EDT
"I tried Enlightenment about a month ago on PCLinuxOS but it requires a serious amount of configuration to get it close to anything like useable"

Try Bodhi. Our system has several different configurations that are more than usable ;)

~Jeff
caitlyn

Jan 28, 2011
5:52 PM EDT
@gus3: Exactly.

@jeff91: I'm sure I'll get around to trying your distro after the other 300 that people want me to try. Seriously, since I stopped writing reviews all the time I stopped distro hopping. I am happier, saner and would have more free time if my business hadn't picked up and eaten it all. Nothing against your distro at all but I have never been a fan of E and it's glacial development pace and have no particular motivation to change right now.
tracyanne

Jan 28, 2011
5:57 PM EDT
caitlyn you want to give digerdutu a try too, it has a new menu system call meatn3veg, although there is a really nice extension to the menu called bushtucker, and there's a new all singing and dancing social networking application called corroberee
caitlyn

Jan 28, 2011
6:04 PM EDT
I can't possibly try it, ta. I don't ingest meat so I could only use 3/4 of the menu :)
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 28, 2011
6:28 PM EDT
Thank you, thank you, we'll be here all weekend. Enjoy your mock-shrimp cocktails.
Koriel

Jan 28, 2011
9:47 PM EDT
@Jeff91: I may well take a look at Bodhi as i said i was impressed by Enlightenment its just its configuration sucked, im getting on in years now, when i was youngish i would never let anything hold me back but now i appreciate ease of configuration while still having all the advanced options available if i really need to access them.

@jdixon: Hell if he manages to type "xfce4-settings-manager" at the console then im just gonna let him have at it cause i would be seriously impressed :)

Edit: Downloading Bodhi as i speak, after reading a few reviews hopefully this will be a good experience as i love minimal installations the amount of time i spend eliminating the fluff from other distros can be a real pain have never agreed with the throw everything in including the kitchen sink approach of some distros.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!