Security is Inconvenient.

Story: Setting up public key authentication for SSHTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 24, 2011
9:02 AM EDT
Security certainly is inconvenient. And convenience is insecure.

My reason for using public key authentication was to be able to turn off passwords, and make things that much harder for a cracker. With this, if someone compromises your desktop system, they get access to all the rest without a password, too.

I can understand it, but I have to wonder if a simple password isn't better than no password at all.

Everything is a trade-off.
gus3

Jan 24, 2011
2:42 PM EDT
I'd argue that a simple password is worse than none. A simple password gives a false sense of security; no password makes the lack of security very obvious. Kind of like how people without car insurance on average are better drivers.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 24, 2011
3:43 PM EDT
Compromise one system or compromise one password.

I'd rather that there be a reasonably secure password that gets written down, since anyone who can get in and physically read the post-it note is going to have physical access to the machine and then all bets are off anyway.

This may be a good place for pinentry to be utilized by ssh, so that the single-sign-on can be accomplished with a reasonably secure password/phrase without having to enter it many times.

I started using PGP when it first hit the 'Net, so I've seen a lot of supposed "security" come and go.
jhansonxi

Jan 24, 2011
3:46 PM EDT
A password manager with a strong encryption key makes security easy. All of my accounts use random keys that are stored in KeePassX.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 24, 2011
3:55 PM EDT
http://www.keepassx.org/

Let's see if it is linked to passwords in Kwalletmanager, Icewoozle, ssh and gpg...

Thanks, JH.
jhansonxi

Jan 24, 2011
4:02 PM EDT
It's not but that doesn't bother me. It is still useful for storing the SSH private key passphrase. On Ubuntu, Seahorse is integrated with GPG, network share passwords, and wireless keys.
mrider

Jan 24, 2011
4:46 PM EDT
My ssh private key is protected by a 30+ character nonsensical (but not gibberish) pass phrase. I use keychain and ssh-askpass to store the key for me at log in. Anyone with a copy of my private key could log into a large number of systems, but they'd have to crack the pass phrase to do so. And yet I can log into a system with my public key without supplying a huge password each time.

I find that to be relatively convenient, and yet it would be fairly non-trivial to brute-force my private key pass phrase...
jezuch

Feb 01, 2011
5:07 PM EDT
I recently started formulating my passwords in Lojban. Easier to remember than random gibberish but looks the same, especially if you assume the space-less, accented style (something like "loDJEdiNUZba") ;)
jdixon

Feb 01, 2011
5:53 PM EDT
> My ssh private key is protected by a 30+ character nonsensical (but not gibberish) pass phrase.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually used the pass phrase supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
5:59 PM EDT
> I wonder if anyone has ever actually used the pass phrase supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

They will now.
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2011
6:03 PM EDT
I won't, I'd have to keep coming back here to find out how to spell it.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2011
7:07 PM EDT
I mean in dictionary attacks.

I even had to look up "squirrel" for the SQL database thread because I couldn't spell it.
hkwint

Feb 02, 2011
12:11 PM EDT
jd: Hey, how did you know? Now I'll have to reset all my pw's!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!