Cleaning hardware

Story: Recovering from motherboard failures, and clean computingTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 08, 2011
12:25 AM EDT
Keep in mind that the first time you need to clean out the power supply, it will be long past warrantee, so don't worry about breaking the tape.

The real worry is triple checking that it's unplugged first.

But seriously, making a component that WILL get dirty in a way that it's not user serviceable, is to be working against the very customers to which one expects to sell product!

Like that little GPU fan, just how much harder to make it "clip" into place rather than screw? Argh!

And I wonder, are electrostatic air movers really dangerous? Wouldn't that be a good way to make quiet systems? How about Tessla Turbines rather than fans?
jezuch

Mar 08, 2011
3:21 AM EDT
Quoting:making a component that WILL get dirty in a way that it's not user serviceable, is to be working against the very customers to which one expects to sell product

I guess it's OK for the bean counters if the users are clueless enough. They'll just throw it out and buy a new one, Dirty fan fallacy ;)
Bob_Robertson

Mar 08, 2011
8:46 AM EDT
> Dirty fan fallacy ;)

Before I had a spell checker, I used to spell that "phallacy". Much more appropriate for my opinion of most people in marketing and sales.

...and lawyers. No offense, Dino.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!