Welcome back Tuxxy

Story: Dilbert, Office Space, and LayoffsTotal Replies: 40
Author Content
PaulFerris

Mar 17, 2011
5:38 PM EDT
Carla,

As someone who can say I've been there, I just want to say that I'm glad you're here and I have mixed feelings -- sorry to see you go from LT/LP (they needed you), but yes, there's life afterward.

You're an awesome writer and I'm happy to see you back.

All the best wishes,

--Paul
Sander_Marechal

Mar 17, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
I fully agree. Welcome back in the fold!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 17, 2011
5:49 PM EDT
Welcome back? TC never actually left!

I like that TC was able to "vent" here as she couldn't do at her paid venue.

That's important, to have friends with which to kibitz.
cr

Mar 17, 2011
6:23 PM EDT
And now if RW shows up to snark, she can snark right back at him.
tuxchick

Mar 17, 2011
10:10 PM EDT
Thanks everyone. Paulie, I think LT and LP's days are numbered. I do not have optimism. They will probably continue, but not in a good way.

cr, I am drawing a blank-- who is RW? Anyway i never snark. I am always unfailingly kind and soft-spoken.

Am too.
tuxchick

Mar 17, 2011
10:10 PM EDT
AM TOO.
dthacker

Mar 17, 2011
11:56 PM EDT
Glad to see you back as an editor. I know that rollercoaster feeling of changing jobs well. Looking forward to your next act! Dave
cr

Mar 18, 2011
2:23 AM EDT
lol

And you never pout, either! <snicker>

RW... Well, it ain't Ron Weasley. Just someone on another site somewhere with initials like Loony Toons, where I thought you might've been biting back a more pungent-but-cogent response to acrid comments a coupla times. Nuff said.

Is anybody actually at the helm currently over there, or is this one of those iceberg moments?

When you get your imprimatur all set up, perhaps you might start looking around at the blogosphere you mentioned, as sources for topical compendiums. Who knows, you might be the next O'Really, focused more on what you do with a shiny GNU Linux once you've got it.

PHB, huh... Breathe deep, now, you're no longer in an intellectual vacuum.
jdixon

Mar 18, 2011
6:31 AM EDT
> I think LT and LP's days are numbered.

TC, the only thing that has kept LT and LP going has been the largely unrewarded work of people like you and a few others before you. The corporate folks over there have never really understood what a Linux site is all about.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 18, 2011
8:13 AM EDT
> The corporate folks over there have never really understood what a Linux site is all about.

...such as the pop-up Microsoft ads.

Never have I seen such a perfect example of the triumph of MBA hubris over anything like common sense.
JaseP

Mar 18, 2011
8:54 AM EDT
At LT, I always thought of the M$ ads as being humorous irony. They were there for the M$ shills & the pencil-behind-the-ear set. Whatever...

Sorry for any income loss you've experienced & my hopes you'll land on your feet with a new gig soon. LT never loaded fast enough for me, anyway. The Ads were/are bloat-ware.
tuxchick

Mar 18, 2011
8:58 AM EDT
LOL cr, ok now I get it :D
cr

Mar 18, 2011
Quoting: ...such as the pop-up Microsoft ads.

Never have I seen such a perfect example of the triumph of MBA hubris over anything like common sense.

"Ohhnoes, the fire has gone out!" Well, duh... Any fire'll go out if you p!ss on it enough. Pity for them it was an electrical fire; musta been painful. Just think of the wasted Proffitt while that message was getting through.

Or did it get through... Is the MS infection still there? They're a big part of what prompted me to add NoScript and AdBlockPlus to my Firefox, so I can't really tell and don't really wanna go look.
hkwint

Mar 19, 2011
2:05 PM EDT
So, I haven't been on LT without an AdBlocker for more than three years or so I guess, but I thought I might give it a try and fired up Chromium-Bin. Of course, my ad-blocker whitelested LXer.com, as the ads on LXer aren't annoying and currently as far as I know LXer is voluntary driven, but the servers have to be paid.

So, I visited LT a few times to read Carla's articles with AdBlocker turned on, but today I did it with Chromium witout blocker.

Then I thought: H#ll, this website must be jokin! Calling itself 'LinuxToday'.

Let's count:

1) Top banner "Windows build now - grow now" Microsoft ad,

2) Right banner "Windows - new devices new opportunities ad,

3) Left banner "Windows - get more, do more" ad,

4) Left banner "Windows build now - grow now" ad,

5) Bottom banner "Windows - New devices. New opportunities ad,

6) Bottom banner "Windows - New opportunities - new devices".

Using the horizontal scroll bar of my browser, there's only 1 position in which I can make sure no Windows advertisment is on my 1680x1050 screen. Apart from that particular position, no matter how I scroll up or down, there's always MS in my face.

Of course, it goes on in the 'solutions' list, about PHP for Windows showcase, downnload Microsoft webmatrix, Drupal and Joomla for Windows, Wordpress for Windows and again MS WebMatrix.

It seems they're doing their best to fit the MS story: FOSS runs great on Windows!

And if I go to the Fusion 14 review, I even receive a 'IE9' ad, even while my browser clearly identifies itself as FF4 on Linux! Maybe LT didn't figure as of yet, but IE9 doesn't run on Linux. Neither will it run on my WinXP VM (I didn't pay for the license so I can't blame them). And moreover yet another line telling about great software developed for Win7.

What's interesting to note, is the WindowsforDevices.com website (part of eWeek it seems) only has 2 small MS-advertisement. Even while it's a Windows-website! And it shows at least three penguins.

A bit sad for those who put effort in that website, but I think Linux / FOSS articles look better without 6 Microsoft advertisements in their margins.
tuxchick

Mar 19, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
Sigh the MS ads and general design stupidity....I used to try to get through to my bosses what an awful reader experience LT was becoming, what with the MS ads, those ghastly evil Intellitexts, and all the gimmicky lardy cr@p that chases readers away. I had to use ad and script blockers just to to be able to do my work. Junky ads, junky products, but it's always editorial's fault.
jdixon

Mar 19, 2011
10:27 PM EDT
> ...those ghastly evil Intellitexts

Evil is the right word for those things, yes. Whoever thought those up needs to be shot. Several times.
cr

Mar 20, 2011
12:57 AM EDT
Quoting:Evil is the right word for those things, yes. Whoever thought those up needs to be shot. Several times.

Nah. Just feed their more personal details and culpabilities to the /b/tards in 4chan so they get pushed onto Anonymous's queue. Why make it quick?
tmx

Mar 20, 2011
3:09 AM EDT
On Linux Today, using mobile phone and browsing on portrait mode, the news are only in the middle column, but the ads are displayed in the first 4-5 pages that you have to scroll through. And that's with my Nokia screen with 800 pixel height. Okay phones are touch screen, but its still probably annoying to some people. Good thing LXer has an RSS feed and mobile view. I know LXer is less bloated of a website than others, but you could set it to auto-detect and load to mobile view automatically when browsed with portable devices and have the ad banner in the mobile view as well.

However, I have no problems with Linux Today as long as I get the news, but I avoid clicking articles from certain sources such as ZDnet. Probably my only grip with LXer is I prefer the color blue over red.

BTW, what is LP? Some kind of vinyl record?
jdixon

Mar 20, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
> BTW, what is LP?

Linux Planet. An affiliated site.
hkwint

Mar 21, 2011
4:20 AM EDT
tmx: Any LXer member can change their layout over here (while logged in) to match your personal preferences:

http://lxer.com/members/layout.php

Please ignore message if you already did.
helios

Mar 21, 2011
7:16 AM EDT
Looks like they didn't bother to put anyone at the helm Carla...the wheel in the pilot house is in free-spin. The news feed hasn't been updated all weekend and for all appearances, it looks to be a dead or stagnant site.

I think you are right. We can put LT on suicide watch now.
cr

Mar 21, 2011
7:37 AM EDT
@helios: Yeah, I noticed how little the front page over there moved, while the story to which this comment stream is attached was pushed off LXer's front page. So, relatively speaking, while Carla's off to create content, the old site's sitting there creating discontent.

I wonder how the hits curve over the next week will look; kinda like an iceberg, perhaps.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 21, 2011
1:45 PM EDT
As someone who works on a web site where making money is part of the deal, I'm OK with many, many different kinds of ads as long as there is compelling content to go with them.

Worse that anything are sites with dodgy content that are nevertheless loaded with ads.
cr

Mar 21, 2011
4:41 PM EDT
Quoting: Worse that anything are sites with dodgy content that are nevertheless loaded with ads
Especially where:

- you have to wait for the ads to load

- they're the most graphic elements on the page

- they bog the CPU with their complexity or animation

- they're personally offensive.

I'm long familiar with ad-paid content from the tech magazines with bingo-cards in them. I know that the ads pay the bills for the site and I'm fine with it. From the caller's point of view, however, they're strictly along for the ride unless they're actually of targeted interest, so they shouldn't ever bog or hog the browser. When they do, people get angry and react and (rightly) blame the site.

Back when Google was first serving up ads, those little text ads were such a relief that I made a point of clicking some that were even mildly of interest to see where they led. Unless they were part of MS' tissue-of-lies campaign; those I politely ignored until they got overwhelming, even though they were deeply offensive.

(meta: BBcode [list] elements would have been used in this post if they worked.)
beirwin

Mar 21, 2011
6:31 PM EDT
I thought something was amiss at LT with the sudden lack of stories on the news feed. You certainly raised the bar considerable while chief editor at LT, Carla. It's a shame to see a once-venerable Linux news site going down the tubes. Welcome back to LXer and my very best wishes to you.
gus3

Mar 22, 2011
3:48 PM EDT
Well, whaddya know... new headlines at LT!

So, that's 3 days, 23 hours, and 50 minutes that they were decaying.
helios

Mar 22, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at [url=http://www.linuxtoday.com.]http://www.linuxtoday.com.[/b][/url]

For about 55 minutes now...main page loads but that is the message when you try to click any story.

Stellar performance LT. Stellar Performance.

EDIT...And of course, three minutes after posting this, It bumped me right in. Sheesh...
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 23, 2011
4:22 PM EDT
It's still down today ...
cr

Mar 23, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
It's up. Michael Hall has posted Editor's Note: Picking Ourselves Up, Dusting Ourselves Off, which mentions (and links) the article to which this comment stream is attached:

Quoting:Our friends at LXer provided Carla with a place to say what she needed to say about her situation. Personally, all I can say is that I consider her a good friend, and that I'm sorry she wasn't given a chance to say goodbye here, among the community she's been part of for years.
dinotrac

Mar 23, 2011
6:46 PM EDT
Carla --

I don't know the details, but I blame George Tirebiter.

Just ask Paul about that unsavory character.

The queen is dead/long live the queen!

Your friend in the ether,

Dean Pannell, aka dinotrac
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 23, 2011
7:51 PM EDT
Quoting:It's up. Michael Hall has posted Editor's Note: Picking Ourselves Up, Dusting Ourselves Off, which mentions (and links) the article to which this comment stream is attached:

That wasn't very satisfying ...
tmx

Mar 23, 2011
10:07 PM EDT
I guess I should had looked a bit closer.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxtoday/linux?format=xml
tuxmania

Mar 24, 2011
3:48 AM EDT
The only thing i have read on LT are Carlas articles. Im a big fan, you go girl =)
Koriel

Mar 24, 2011
6:09 PM EDT
Late to the party as usual, welcome back TC.

Stopped reading LT in the late 90's due to the ads and moved to Lxer and never looked back.
Jose_X

Mar 25, 2011
>> Stopped reading LT in the late 90's due to the ads and moved to Lxer and never looked back.

Maybe a few more will follow suit now.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2011
10:00 AM EDT
> Stopped reading LT in the late 90's due to the ads...

I greatly reduced my reading there after the original sale. I stopped reading completely after the "Tirebiter" details were made public. I moved here due to Paul and Dino's influence. Just so you know who to blame. :)
helios

Mar 25, 2011
10:06 AM EDT
I moved here due to Paul and Dino's influence.

Epic battles always draw a crowd...

However, so does intelligent commentary. Paul and Dino have provided both.
IGnatiusTFoobar

Mar 25, 2011
10:33 AM EDT
Some years ago I had switched from Linux Today to LXer as my primary Linux news source, but when Carla took the helm I switched back. Now I've switched back to LXer again.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 25, 2011
11:27 AM EDT
Well, welcome back IGnatius
cr

Mar 30, 2011
5:35 PM EDT
Seen in the News Picks on groklaw.net:

Linux Today editor Schroder sacked on ITWire.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 31, 2011
1:22 AM EDT
Be sure to check out the Groklaw comments too: [url=http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&title=Old+News+about+LinuxToday&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=911726 #c911733]clicky[/url]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!