USB Flash Disk Drive to Demo Linux Mint, by user Tacoz

Story: Internet Explorer 6 is Holding Back the Linux DesktopTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
WB7ODYFred

Apr 10, 2011
2:54 AM EDT
user "Tacoz" Bragging about his small Mint PC This is a method of introducing Linux to MS windows users.

Full forum post in follow URL link below http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=62421&star...

Bragging about my small Mint PC

Posted by tacoz on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am There are a few occasions when I get to promote Mint... mostly in the workplace.

(a) Whenever someone is showing off their latest cool gadget and no matter how BIG the cool factor might be, I enjoy interjecting and I am still surprised when my USB PC upstages whatever (and occasionally another Mint convert as well!) (b) I work in a Microsoft environment... hundreds of 2003 and 2008 servers and mix of XP and Windows 7 clients; whenever I have to sort-out-fix-find some or other malware-virus that was supposed to have been taken out but wasn't for whatever reason I use my USB PC. (c) When I need to recover data or partitions I use Testdisk on my USB PC. (d) My colleagues know by now that if I'm gonna be presenting a meeting (as in an actual meeting room and using whatever available multimedia is there) then I'm gonna boot with my USB PC, remote to whatever LAN services or shares I might need and present whatever I have to present... but promoting and using Mint at the same time.

So what's so great about this USB? Well it's a regular pen-drive type so dimension wise it's small and formats to 8GB. It has Mint installed and the desktop appearance and apps are configured for my needs. Actually it pretty much lives in my pocket... until one of those occasions arrives. You can just imagine, a few years ago it was laptops being bragged about and now its either some Pad device or Android cell phone, and hey... I love gadgets and of course I enjoy seeing any new stuff... but then I pull out this plain looking USB device and brag about how small my 'parasite' PC is and that all it needs to function is a 'host'. Of course demonstrating it is the best!

END of partial copy of user Tacoz comment. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Another forum Link to interesting topic. Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=41992&p=380... #p380357

Interesting reading other people comments on that topic above. we all have reasons for not changing our habits.

Fred

flufferbeer

Apr 10, 2011
4:24 PM EDT
@WB7ODYFred

What's the main point of all this; Is it "we all have reasons for not changing our habits"?

-fb

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!