2.6.39-rc3 and the Nvidia graphics driver

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 15, 2011
8:25 AM EDT
2.6.39-rc3 compiled just fine, glad to say, I'm having fun with the -rc kernels.

However, the Nvidia (closed) graphics driver is having trouble compiling.

Eerily reminiscent of my experience with compiling .38-rcx,

http://tinyurl.com/658f33k

I get the following error:

$ cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log ...

include/linux/bitops.h:49:26: warning: signed and unsigned type in conditional expression ...

/usr/src/linux-2.6.39-rc3/arch/x86/include/asm/mmzone_32.h:87:15: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions

More reasons to "get your driver into the Linux kernel, so changes are made everywhere at once" I think.

jdixon

Apr 15, 2011
9:18 AM EDT
Ouch, the memories. I've been using the 2d nv driver for the past several years and had mercifully forgotten the intermittent Nvidia compile problems.

This is comparatively normal. The drivers do break on occasion with newer kernels. There's usually a patch to be found in the Nvidia forums within a few days, and it gets rolled out to the current drivers in the next release.
hkwint

Apr 15, 2011
3:59 PM EDT
Try Nouveau, Natty Beta 2 works fine with it! Even while Beta 1 elegantly screwed up.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 15, 2011
6:53 PM EDT
Sadly, I can't. The 3D acceleration is needed so I can run Wizard101 with my children.

So I'll run 2.6.38 until Nvidia gets its act together.
hkwint

Apr 15, 2011
7:17 PM EDT
Nouveau doesn't support your card? Or is 3D support not good enough?

The Wizzard 101 I found is a flash game, or am I wrong?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 15, 2011
8:11 PM EDT
Not flash, or if it is flash it's handled proprietarily rather than through the base flash interface.

Funny thing, it works perfectly well in Oracle's recent VirtualBox, and WINE, but only if 3D is being handled exceptionally well.

You cannot post until you login.