No, get an Android tablet.

Story: Forget the Chromebook; Get an iPadTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
tmx

May 17, 2011
12:39 AM EDT
Not sure what that article has anything to do with linux. The author makes no remarks why iPad is a better choice.

I was looking Android tablet devices and was amazed at the variety of offerings, from $99 Chinese ones to highend ones such as the Motorola Xoom, which have everything the iPad does, plus:

HDMI output: which is more widely available than goofy Apple proprietary port.

SD card support: nuff said here

Out of the box support for more media standards that Apple refuses to support due to their monopoly.

An overall more open platform with less censorship on apps availability.

As these Android tablet gets more popular, they'll be more competition, prices will go down, they'll be more unique features. iPad would be even less desirable at that point simply due to the cost and features of Android tablets. Notice the lack of competition from Windows, but I have doubts about their upcoming Windows 8 ARM edition.

Personally, I'm not going to buy a tablet until something more linux comes along, preferably full Debian desktop.
Jeff91

May 17, 2011
1:42 AM EDT
"I'm not going to buy a tablet until something more linux comes along, preferably full Debian desktop."

+1 on this mate! I've said it once and I'll say it again - Android may be better than iOS/WinMobile, but that really isn't saying much. It is still pseudo Linux at best.

~Jeff
tracyanne

May 17, 2011
3:24 AM EDT
I'll let you all know what my Ubuntu Tablet is like when it arrives.
HoTMetaL

May 17, 2011
5:12 AM EDT
Let us know if it made Unity actually useful.
JaseP

May 17, 2011
9:16 AM EDT
@ tracyanne:

I couldn't wait for the Ubuntu Tablet & went Dell Inspiron Duo instead... And, Boy!!! I'm sure glad I did!!!

It's basically the same specs + the ability to flip into a netbook for a laptop like experience. We have nearly everything working on Maverick right now. Accelerometer based screen rotation is a short while away... Multi-touch a little further out,... & who cares about the light sensor?!?! But everything else is 100%. The machine is not really any thicker than the tablets, when in tablet mode, either...

helios

May 17, 2011
9:40 AM EDT
I had to roll my eyes the other night when I saw the commercial for the Blackberry offering in the pad market - The Playbook.

They focus their ad on the fact that it comes complete with Flash...In fact the theme song from the Movie "The Flash" is played...performed by Queen for those that don't know it.

It irritated me for unexplored reasons for a while until I realized that the source of my irritation was that Blackberry scored big points for pointing out their offering offered flash whereas "another pad we won't name" does not.

Seems to me I haven't seen any of the Android offerings bringing this to light and from the experience of some IPad owners I've encountered, they are vastly disappointed by not having a "full internet experience".

You would think the various makers of Android pads would key on this as well.
JaseP

May 17, 2011
12:38 PM EDT
They've always pointed out that Android since 2.2 has had flash... It just seemed like another arrow in the quiver, and getting ignored as just another talking point... But my N900 has been doing flash for years... and is still way better than Android (better bluetooth stack, truer Linux experience, unbelievable browsing experience for a moble, etc). I'm probably going to look for N900s at discounted prices, just so I have a backup...
tracyanne

May 17, 2011
6:02 PM EDT
@HoTMetaL, Unity is certainly not very useful on my Desktop, but as it is oriented towards tablets, it can't be any worse than Android or iOS, and it has to be better than Windows 7 on such a device. Given that the Tablet will be running stadard Linux based OS I can always replace it with any other standard Linux based OS.
tmx

May 19, 2011
3:50 PM EDT
@tracyanne Can you share what model of tablet are you getting. I am going to sell my Pandora device and get tablet, its much more suitable at work. The new AMD Fusion APU (CPU + GPU in one) seem like its going to be popular, or I can get an Atom one instead. Still the price is a bit high, but my experience shows that the industry leverage itself so a decent one will never be below $500. Asus will most likely come out with something good later and I'm going to regret not waiting. Right now the only one worth while getting are the netbook/tablet hybrid ones which I might as well settle with.

Edit: I've been watching review of different tablet and have a much better idea now, but it looks like nothing fits the bill. There are beginning to have tablets that use IPS display panel now and Asus have some very good stuff, but their line of Eee Slate x86 tablet are too large (12") and pricey as of now (1 grand). I'll just wait for something with the same quality, but smaller and cheaper.
tmx

May 23, 2011
9:10 PM EDT
The best one I've discovered so far is this Australian Evolve III, it's Maestro model which has Intel OakTrail will be able to triple boot Android, Meamo and Crapdow. The price seems to be good too, Would be nice to dualboot Linux Mint and Maemo on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhHWszLn50

Hopefully the price won't be too high, but there will be more OakTrail tablets.
hkwint

May 24, 2011
5:56 AM EDT
tmx: ChromeOS runs on Linux kernel, hence it has to do with Linux.

For cheap pads, look at ARMDevices.net, probably over 50 cheap tablets are reviewed over there; many 7". Most can be bought via AliExpress.

I suggest you check out the Archos 70.People installed Ubuntu on the Archos 70 http://www.android-hilfe.de/archos-70-forum/59607-ubuntu-auf...

but realize you're pretty much on your own. Archos provides help for 'rooting' / dual-booting it:

http://archosfans.com/2010/12/13/dual-boot-on-archos-gen8-ta...

tracyanne

May 24, 2011
7:09 AM EDT
@tmx http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/configure.asp?c1... if you scroll down you will see that Ubuntu is an option instead of Windows. The $AU599 is the retail price with Ubuntu (or no OS), or Android. Windows is Extra.
JaseP

May 25, 2011
9:19 AM EDT
Too late & too expensive for me... I went Dell Inspiron Duo, with similar hardware specs & a nice flip-screen (ideal for protecting it), but fewer ports,... $577 US shipped... Instead of $500-$600 + $150 Intn'l shipping. Just about everything works on the Duo, except the accelerometers are a work in progress, and some tweaking is required. I am using it to type this now (touch screen style), & am loving this machine. Mediocre battery performance though (2-3.5 hrs, and not easily replaceable, so use good charge/discharge practices).
KernelShepard

May 25, 2011
9:44 AM EDT
Be careful getting a cheap (~$100ish USD) Android tablet as my experience with those is horrible. We bought a couple of cheap Android Tablets for work (one was a Pan Digital (?) that we got at Best Buy). Awful tablets. First off, most of these low-cost tablets have no access to the Android Market which makes getting software onto them a PITA. Secondly, many of these models don't seem to be able to handle SDHC cards very well (or, at least, they hang indefinitely when I plugged in a 16GB Sandisk card). They handled old 2GB class 2 Sandisks ok, but that's it. Third, they typically run Android 2.1 or older (which is meant for phones, not tablets). I really suggest getting one with Android 3.0 if you really want one.

The Motorola Xoom and the (new) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 are the best Android tablets (the newer Samsung being the best of the 2), but even they aren't w/o problems.

I was really hoping that MeeGo would take off but as Ryan Paul tweeted the other day: http://twitter.com/ #!/segphault/status/72716840660512769
Quoting:Skipped MeeGo Conference this year. Sadly, too many other things happening right now. Can't commit time to cover platform without products.
JaseP

May 25, 2011
9:58 AM EDT
You want Android in a flash-able & reasonably priced Cortex A8 tablet (no camera or mic, so no Vid conferencing)??? Nationite MIDnite capacitive (a/k/a Witstech A81g, or later). Around $220 US & a nice tablet for price/specs. Takes 3-4 weeks to get one from China, & only 2 GB onboard on the "g" model, but it has a micro SD slot, full USB, and mini USB, accelerometers, capacitive multi-touch (2 finger), Wifi, bluetooth, GPS & Android Market support (hacked on, I'm sure). Runs Froyo.
tmx

May 25, 2011
5:43 PM EDT
I think I'm settled on Intel Oaktrail, yes its x86, but from what it seem, I can run Windows, Linux, Android, Meego and probably someday Mac on it. I always go for a computer that can run as much OS as possible. If I'm correct the whole APU output is 3watt.

I'm looking at the 10" Samsung Sliding PC7, it has a slide out keyboard making it effectively a laptop. The only other "slider tablet" right now is one of the Asus eeePad, but its runs Nvidia Tegra and Android.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!