10 Things That Make Ubuntu The Best Alternative Operating Sy

Story: 10 Things That Make Ubuntu The Best Alternative Operating SystemTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
carling

May 20, 2011
5:04 PM EDT
Now come on, All Linux Distributions have these same features, anybody would think no other distributions are has good as Ubuntu, Is Ubuntu the only distribution you have used, It's terrible to say the leased about it, It does not work out of the box, It never has, 11.4 would not boot up the live dvd on a Intel i5 system it crashed halfway through the boot up, and has for the new desktop that's utter rubbish period, if all you can write about is Ubuntu then you need to broaden your arisen on other Distributions

You need to stop praising Ubuntu, to the hilts and start testing other Linux distributions then you will soon find out how good they are, Like Sabayon, Ultimate Pardus Linux Mint Debian Edition, Pinguy, Fusion and others. These put Ubuntu to shame
tracyanne

May 20, 2011
6:24 PM EDT
@carling, sorry you just brought out the worst in me, the spelling nazi.

Quoting:It's terrible to say the leased about it,

That should LEAST not leased, they have two distinct meanings.

Quoting:... then you need to broaden your arisen on other ....

That should read HORIZON not arisen, the word you have used means to have stood up, or gotten out of bed, it is not commonly used and is considered archaic.

Also I think you mean HILT not hilts

Otherwise I agree with the sentiments expressed, Ubuntu is not the be all and end all of Linux based operating systems.
caitlyn

May 22, 2011
11:43 AM EDT
I agree there are better choices than Ubuntu in terms of quality. However, Ubuntu has the mindshare in the tech press so it takes all the oxygen out of the room. While some of us write about other distros in the mainstream media the only Linux distros deemed worthy of coverage are Ubuntu and Android. Sad, really.
helios

May 22, 2011
11:12 PM EDT
We are pretty excited about Mageia. RC1 is out and looks pretty smooth. My bet is you won't find much mainstream coverage there.

A Billionaire didn't make it happen.
lcafiero

May 24, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
Yeah, but I bet if the Mageia project leader went into space, things would be different :-) If Mageia is anything like its predecessor, it should be OK and it's interesting to see you using it, helios, for the project.

If you'll permit me a tangent, is Ubuntu "ashamed" to call itself Linux? If you go to their Web page, on the main page you won't find the word "Linux" anywhere. I finally found it on an "About Ubuntu" page in the second or third paragraph. If you go to the openSUSE main page, Linux is there; same with Fedora and Debian (though Debian goes the GNU/Linux route).

Just wondering aloud . . . .

hkwint

May 25, 2011
6:49 AM EDT
Just as ashamed as Google.
helios

May 25, 2011
9:48 AM EDT
@ lcafiero...

Yeah, I did a blog on this concerning Canonical a while back and the comments were, uh...cutting, to say the least. Having been a fanboi in the past, I understand the mentality.

I simply don't have time for it any more.

Someone I worked with back in 2005 took a job at Dell as an inside marketing guy. Seems that Canonical has met with a number of OEM's and have come to the conclusion that "Linux" is poison as a brand name.

And hkwint is right....Google has actively avoided using the term "Linux" in any of their marketing. Since advertising is close to a trillion dollar a year business, I'm guessing that they might have some substantial data to prove their point. I'm just sayin'.

Sure it chaps my backside, but even empirical evidence shows the brand name "Linux" as being actively avoided.

Suse and Mandriva have always, to my eye anyway, had a more polished, professional look. PCLInuxOS mirrors that glossy, attractive look as well. A software environment can be as uber-functional as possible, but heck even if it did your dishes for you, if it's dull and drab (***cough - GTK ***), it won't pass the initial "I'm-attracted-to-you-for-the-most-shallow-of-reasons test.

Suck as it does....we've proved that out over the years, again empirically.

And for the record, we simply change the Ubuntu wallpaper during install. Almost 70 percent of our users despise it. Purple...? Really?

gus3

May 25, 2011
10:13 AM EDT
@Helios: A lot of people said that about brown, too.
helios

May 25, 2011
10:37 AM EDT
Yeah gus, I agree. You'd think they would employ deeper focus groups...I mean it's only the centerpiece of your effort.

Then again, Gnome claims to have used focus groups for G3.

Allegedly...
tuxchick

May 25, 2011
11:23 AM EDT
Trying to avoid complaints is futile. The brown was nice, the purple is nice, and it's dead easy to change it. "A hundred people die and go to Heaven, and ten will vote against God."

Ubuntu has many good points, not the least of which are kick-starting serious effort in making a really good desktop Linux, making inroads into the commercial computer market, genuinely welcoming new contributors, and inspiring hosts of respins and derivatives. Think back to the pre-Ubuntu days-- Debian releases were stretching out ever longer (over three years!), Mandriva is perennially in crisis, Red Hat is uninterested in the consumer market....hmmm, methinks I spy an article in this subject.
JaseP

May 25, 2011
12:07 PM EDT
Write it, Tuxchick... Write it!!!
lcafiero

May 25, 2011
1:11 PM EDT
I forgot about Google, hkwint, and you're absolutely right. And I guess fanbois will be fanbois, helios . . .

Personally, I'd like to see an article about this, tuxchick, especially if the article contains the contributions -- or lack thereof -- that Ubuntu/Canonical makes to kernel development and other facets of making Linux work.
skelband

May 25, 2011
1:23 PM EDT
I actually liked the brown (or orange). It's what I set up instead of the yucky purple which I find cold and irritating.

It's all very subjective however. Another man's poison and all that.
skelband

May 25, 2011
1:27 PM EDT
What I think about Canonical and their reputation is a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, they have been raising the commercial profile of Linux and pushing its acceptance. On the other they are looking to establish a unique brand.

Although they could hardly be called the shiniest example of the community partner, I actually think that a lot of the bad feeling aimed in their direction is a kind of envy. Linux is losing its geeky image and I think that upsets a lot of people.

Like discovering a cool indie band that nobody knows that makes it big and signs a contract. They lose their "cool".
BernardSwiss

May 25, 2011
6:12 PM EDT
That wasn't "brown"; that was "earth tones".

Sheesh!

(the success of detractors in labelling the colour scheme "muddy" or simply "brown" just shows how effective "framing" is -- and that it can be inadvertently carried out by people against their own larger interests; even supporters were calling it, and apologizing for, it being brown)

But I personally found that "regular people" (non-"techies", that is) responded pretty positively to the Hardy Heron wallpaper and theme. Some even thought that it verged on "elegant" (not quite Mac, but far nicer than Windows).

skelband

May 25, 2011
6:19 PM EDT
I personally thought the 9.04 brown/orange/earth-tones scheme was very nice and integrated nicely with the rest of the human theme.

I still install it on new 10.10 installations as I much prefer it to the purple mess that they use currently.

And despite what you say Bernard, it's browny orange. That's not good or bad, it just is. :D
BernardSwiss

May 25, 2011
6:54 PM EDT
Ochre! Raw Umber! Burnt Sienna!

(and Chocolate, Coffee, and Cinnamon, and Chestnut, and Mahogany...)

Philistine! ;-)

And I agree about the purple -- but I think the designers who actually decide these things call it "aubergine"...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!