Can IBM keep OpenOffice alive?

Story: Oracle gives OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation -- should we care?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 02, 2011
3:43 PM EDT
Once I looked at the H-Online article, the question arose -- now that OpenOffice is separated from Oracle/Sun, will IBM want to take an active role in development?

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenOffice-proposed-a...
skelband

Jun 02, 2011
3:56 PM EDT
In some ways we could see some kind of RedHat/CentOS thing going on here if we are to take it that OO and LO will continue on parallel paths.

The real question is which will lead and which will follow?

I'm not convinced of the benefit to the community of having separate forks of this product. Yes, have multiple different products competing in the same space, pursuing their own ideologies, but not this strange schizophrenic split between two different versions of the same thing. Ultimately I think that they will have to come together, but which will survive, LO or OO?
tuxchick

Jun 02, 2011
4:13 PM EDT
Yeah, what's the point of OOo? Already LibreOffice is nicer to use and it's still a baby. OOo was stagnating and directionless, and I don''t see that changing. I think this is a great example of a necessary fork.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 02, 2011
6:39 PM EDT
If the licensing permits it, I can see an IBM-led OO team continually pulling the latest from LO yet maintaining the projects separately for those very licensing and control reasons.

I got the sense from The H article that IBM could up its participation now that there is no Sun or Oracle in the picture. That could really change the balance, especially if IBM throws some development heft behind the effort.

OTOH, IBM could wise up and base their project (whatever the heck it's called) off of LO and make everybody happy.
Fettoosh

Jun 02, 2011
8:20 PM EDT
Quoting:I got the sense from The H article that IBM could up its participation now that there is no Sun or Oracle in the picture.

Very likely IBM is already planning that and drawing the plans to attack MS Office more aggressively.

henke54

Jun 03, 2011
5:53 AM EDT
more here : http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f...
helios

Jun 03, 2011
8:00 AM EDT
Very likely IBM is already planning that and drawing the plans to attack MS Office more aggressively.

That's a valid point, given that IBM has a marketing force behind them. Still...in a market where two products mirror each other closely, one will flourish and one will fall to the side. Betamax vs. VCR comes immediately to mind.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 03, 2011
9:23 AM EDT
Quoting:more here : ... user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php ...

I posted this and two more IBMers blog entries to LXer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!