Keeping those Flash files

Story: Now YouTube 3D arrives on WebMTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Ridcully

Jun 05, 2011
6:49 PM EDT
This seems to be the best spot to repeat a message I placed on LXer some time back about the Flash player and how the latest versions are very reluctant to allow you to retain a copy. My version is 10.3(something or other) and is automatically upgraded by openSUSE's online process.

Okay........I used to be able to play any flash file, then go into /temp and find the file labelled Flash#2333 or similar, and move it to my own home directory; change its name to something that meant what it was, and add .flv and away the file would play in VLC.....no worries. But from about Flash Player version 10.0 onwards, that Flash file no longer appeared in /tmp. A web search found the following answer, which I repeat again, since some "LXerians" may be interested or are getting frustrated at not being able to retain important material.

Once you have watched a flash file that you wish to keep, keep the browser open and touch nothing. Open a CLI terminal and then use the command:

lsof | grep Flash

If all is successfull, you will get something resembling the following line:

tony 4154 16w REG 8,2 2003733 1234551 /tmp/FlashXXIvAwN0 (deleted)

Notice the "(deleted}" flag at the end - it means that the noxious little flash player has already deleted the file before you can get it out of /temp. However, you still can do so, because you have the address of the process which is held in the four figure block "4154" and the three figure block "16w".

Now use the terminal to tell the computer to copy the process to a flash file with the name of your choice, in the "movie" directory, like this, but omit the letter in the three figure block:

cp /proc/4154/fd/16 /home/yourhomename/movie/jussi.flv

The spaces in the above line are important. If you now go to the movie directory, you will find jussi.flv and you can play it as much as you like.

This one is well worth knowing and also one tiny extra item. Sometimes flash files get nasty and even the above process cannot find the "(deleted)" file.......I have found that there is usually a few seconds grace between where the flash file ends actual playing and where the browser player stops. If you pause in those few seconds, the "(deleted)" file is still present, and you just proceed as usual.

Hope that is of use to someone. I know this was fully discussed in an earlier thread, and I hesitate to "labour the point". Nevertheless, as far as I know, the "(deleted)" situation is still the same and others who are not aware of the solution but have hit the problem may find the above is exactly what they were looking for.
patrokov

Jun 05, 2011
8:47 PM EDT
In firefox, you can use adblock to search for the object script, and usually find the video file. Then use wget to download it. You have to start playing the file first, because a lot of video services play a short clip before the real clip to keep you from discovering the real file in the html source code.

I'll have to try out this trick.
Koriel

Jun 05, 2011
9:34 PM EDT
Your lucky you can use Flash 10.3, I had to retrofit 10.2 as Adobe have yet again managed to screw up vertical synching in fullscreen mode again. In 10.3 it tears so badly it nearly made my eyes water but stick 10.2 back in and it works perfectly.

As to the flash deletion, I expect you could also get it back using extundelete.
gus3

Jun 05, 2011
11:29 PM EDT
Unless one is using XFS or JFS or ReiserFS or has /temporary mounted as tmpfs...
Ridcully

Jun 06, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
A quick update.......Last night I began a serious move to openSUSE 11.4 and found it still had Flash 10.2. I blocked the auto-upgrade so that I could test 10.2's proceedures with downloaded Flash files.....and yes, it behaves in exactly the same way as version 10.3 as described above in my first post on this thread. But again, you can get that "deleted" file back if you really want it.
JaseP

Jun 06, 2011
5:40 PM EDT
I suppose someone could write a script to recover the file, and/or simultaneously copy it from the temp directory while downloading... maybe even write a utility to mirror it.
krisum

Jun 07, 2011
2:50 AM EDT
One can use video downloadhelper ffox extension that enables downloading from a host of sites including youtube.
Ridcully

Jun 07, 2011
4:10 AM EDT
Thankyou Krisum........just downloaded and installed the downloadhelper as you suggested and it definitely works quite well......Well - it did once I had checked the manual and found out how the little blighter works......I will however, DEFINITELY keep the alternative of lsof | grep Flash in my "book of instructions" just in case. Thanks again.
JaseP

Jun 07, 2011
11:59 AM EDT
Does the command line work with Hulu Desktop app files???
Koriel

Jun 08, 2011
12:13 AM EDT
The flashgot plugin for firefox can also do it, plus it handles other files such as mp3, jpg as well as flash and works well in combination with a file downloader such as uget.
Ridcully

Jun 08, 2011
3:53 AM EDT
@JaseP.........Honestly, I don't know - I have no experience with the Hulu Desktop system........however, assuming you are running in the Linux version and can run in a terminal I can't see why it wouldn't. Try it and see is my best answer because I doubt you will hurt anything with the initial lsof request. Just follow the instructions in my first post on this thread.
hkwint

Jun 08, 2011
4:47 AM EDT
Minitube works as a charm, and has a big bold "Download" button which never fails.

GoogleSharing also works again, which means (assuming the anonymizer is really functioning effectively) now I can watch Youtube in the browser without 'paying' Google with useful profiling info.
JaseP

Jun 08, 2011
9:43 AM EDT
I actually don't mind "paying" Google with demographics info,... I'd rather have that than be paying directly... It's like TV,... The commercials keep the programs "free." It bothers me when the cable providers make you pay extra for things like High Def., when the content still contains ads (as opposed to ad free, pay for content channels like HBO, which I understand the rationale).
caitlyn

Jun 08, 2011
3:06 PM EDT
@JaseP: Who needs cable? Where I live (North Carolina, USA) I can pick up something like 40-50 channels with an indoor antenna. Folks who own their homes and put up a relatively small outside antenna can do better. With most stations multicasting since the digital changeover we have more networks and more variety on free TV than ever before. I don't and won't pay a cable company for TV. Besides, if I wanted more it would be cheaper to go with Netflix or Hulu Plus or some similar service via the Internet in addition to my antenna.
Koriel

Jun 08, 2011
4:36 PM EDT
Here in rural Southern Vermont, USA you are lucky if you get 6 chans on terrestrial digital with a high gain antenna so most folks are on either Cable if they are near a town that has it, or Satellite neither of which we can afford so all our TV is via the net from the BBC iPlayer ,ITV Player, STV Player, Hulu and Seesaw.

Quality is pretty good even on our crappy 3Mb's DSL and HD is available but you need at least 7Mb's for that.

If it weren't for the continuing problems of Flash tearing on Linux, I would recommend it to everyone.
JaseP

Jun 08, 2011
5:17 PM EDT
Antennas won't get you SyFy, The History Channel, Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney (3-4 of 'em), CNN, TLC, etc.

Sorry, but my family are cable junkies,... but I did dump the one provider for cable when they started requiring converter boxes on all TVs (despite the fact that almost all my TVs are Clear QAM capable, & a home server with 2 multi-and tuner cards, that have yet to be set up). Now I have 2 providers,... one provider for Cable Modem & Phone,... the other for TV (no cable modem in my area & a tiered bandwidth cap in areas that they DO have it).
caitlyn

Jun 08, 2011
7:25 PM EDT
The interesting thing is that some of the new over-the-air networks in my area aren't available on cable or satellite at all, or else are in the oh-so-expensive only-when-you-buy-everything tier. Nobody gives you everything anymore.

The extra networks in my area include:

UNC Kids (PBS Kids) UNC Explorer (travel, nature, science) This (mainly older movies, similar to AMC) 24-hour local weather MeTV (old TV programs, think TVLand or Nick at Nite RTV (similar to MeTV but with different programs) Qubo (another kids channel) Living Well Network (kind of a cross between Food and DIY) NBC Universal Sports Ion Life (more movies, not as old as This, plus some DIY type programs) Two additional Spanish language networks

I'll admit I don't watch much TV but I do enjoy figure skating and NBC Universal sports covers that extensively (US, European and World championships). The only channels I kind of miss are MSNBC and BBC America, and the BBC programming can be had online and streamed to the TV :) I believe Netflix and Hulu Plus also offer a lot of cable-only programming.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!