Open Source Skype Coming For Linux?

Story: Does anyone need Windows 8?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
judgecorp

Jun 06, 2011
5:12 AM EDT
The Russian programmer who published an reverse-engineered version of the proprietary Skype VoIP protocols, has said in an interview that the project could lead to a full open soruce version for Linux users "who are waiting impatiently for it"
JaseP

Jun 06, 2011
11:46 AM EDT
Not going to happen... M$ owns it, along with the patents. They'll sue anyone cloning it into non-existence, at least where they can use the patents. You have to go with a competing tech, like Ekiga or Google Chat, if you want to play in that market space.
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
2:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Not going to happen...

Are you saying what happened with Samba won't happen with Skype?

Thanks to Jeremy Allison, the EU forced MS to publish the full specification of their SMB protocol implementation for a one time nominal fee, what makes you sure it won't happen again with Skype?

skelband

Jun 06, 2011
3:32 PM EDT
I would think that the value offering for products like this is not the protocol but the client base.

People don't choose Skype/FriendFace/TwitFeatures/etc because of protocols but because of the reach of the service.

Sure, someone could create another "Skype" using their protocols and products, but if your friends/business asssociates aren't using, what's the point?

That's why it's more important to be first than the best a lot of the time.
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
5:37 PM EDT
Quoting:I would think that the value offering for products like this is not the protocol but the client base.

The value I was referring to is the ability of a multi-platform client(e.g. Ekiga) that could inter-operate with Skype server using Skype proprietary protocol the same way Samba client does with MS Domain Controller. In this case, there is no need to have Skype client for Linux.

In general, I don't think users care what client they use as long as it works well for them.

JaseP

Jun 06, 2011
5:48 PM EDT
The difference between SMB & Skype is that SMB was developed by or for IBM (if I got my history right), and so is their product. M$ just "extended" it. With M$ buying Skype, I'd wager they own the whole shebang (although there was an issue with the protocol developer a while back,... But I think that got resolved).
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
Quoting:The difference between SMB & Skype is that SMB was developed by or for IBM...
True and that is why I said "their SMB protocol implementation".

Any ways, MS can sue but won't get them any where since reverse engineering is not illegal every where. I am not sure about the US but according to these links, it is not.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/regulation/2004/03/01/us-court-r...

And more recent court decision

http://mckeeoffice.com/blog2/2009/09/23/is-reverse-engineeri...

flufferbeer

Jun 07, 2011
1:14 AM EDT
@fettoosh, > Any ways, MS can sue but won't get them any where since reverse engineering is not illegal every where.

I don't know for sure about all this either. Seems to me that even though M$ cannot pull the full effects of its assaults against F/OSS EVERYWHERE, it still somehow causes as much as damage as possible to any perceived threats to its acquisitions. Like maybe Skype-clones here?

Don't get me wrong. It would be great if F/OSS Skypies get as popular as or more popular than the original. A bit like OO.org and LO succeeding against the M$ big cashcow, the Awf(ul)ice not-so-$uite. IIRC, M$'s past strategy in B.R.I.C. countries whenever F/OSS projects make inroads is to actually ALLOW a certain degree of software piracy so that reversengineering projects like the Skype clone never get far off the ground. And maybe I'm completely mistaken that Micr$uck$ just doesn't try such stunts any more or else does these with such stealth using various non-disclosure agreements held against foreign programmers' employers' heads (or against heads of government agencies) that few others can ever know for certain about this. Bad tinfoil-hat moi.

In any case, I hope that a good Skype clone emerges and then exponentially increases its client base and reach of service just as skelband explained above. This without M$ or some questionable SCO-like M$ partner somehow managing to constantly breathe down the code-developers' or standards' committees backs!!!

Just my own 2c on all this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!