Full link

Story: Don't Throw Away Your Physical Servers Just YetTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
djohnston

Jun 08, 2011
6:18 PM EDT
should be http://www.zdnet.com/blog/virtualization/dont-throw-away-your-physical-servers-just-yet/3232?tag=mantle_skin;content

However, I can save you the bother of reading his entire tirade on the need for virtual machines in the data center by offering this quote from the article.

Quoting:I’m not pessimistic about virtualization, the cloud or server consolidation. But, I am pessimistic about your company’s ability to wean itself off of physical systems.

I hear and read too many complaints about virtualization performance, legacy systems and blah, blah, blah–so much so that I’m saying, OK, maybe you should just keep some of your d*** physical systems on hand to make yourself feel better.
tracyanne

Jun 08, 2011
8:34 PM EDT
Actually the better reason for keeping physical systems on hand, or even not going Cloud is because neither you nor the cloud prividers have any control over a host of reliability issues that are common to WANs, and have been an issue since the days of Mainframes and Dumb terminals.. everything between the data centre and the client machine. This issue is precisely why cloud providers take no responisbility for the reliability of their "service".
djohnston

Jun 09, 2011
1:36 AM EDT
tracyanne,

I agree. I saw that Ken didn't refute your comments on his "Control is Highly Overrated and Overpriced" article. In fact, he agreed with you. Hard to believe he gets paid to write such dubious articles.
tracyanne

Jun 09, 2011
1:55 AM EDT
It is indeed. ZDNet is , I believe, interested only in the revenue from page views, so, so long as the article gets read and commneted on, it's an earner. The quality, or lack there of, is, I believe irrelevent.
caitlyn

Jun 09, 2011
2:16 AM EDT
I wrote a response which pretty much tears Ken Hess' article to shreds. It's now on LXer.com at http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=152262
tracyanne

Jun 09, 2011
5:06 AM EDT
Just read your article caitlyn, I'd say you've pretty much nailed it.
caitlyn

Jun 09, 2011
11:37 AM EDT
Thanks, TA. Sadly it won't stop more nonsense like this being written or some PHBs taking it seriously.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!