Xfce and LXDE in Debian - what you get to manage networking

Story: Weekend Project: Find Hidden Treasures in XFCE 4.8 Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 10, 2011
7:24 PM EDT
The last time I did an Xfce install of Debian, Wicd was included. Debian tries to keep the GNOME-ishness to a minimum in its Xfce packages (unless I'm totally wrong, which I could very well be).

Before Wicd got into Debian (I think it only made it for Squeeze), an Xfce installation didn't have anything like Wicd or NetworkManager.

I just did an install of Debian Squeeze with LXDE, and it doesn't include Wicd (or NetworkManager). So it's back where Xfce was in the Lenny days as far as networking "helper" applications are concerned.

Depending on how long I stick with Debian Squeeze LXDE on my test machine, I'll probably try Wicd.
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2011
4:13 PM EDT
I like Network Manager when I have wifi. Otherwise it's not necessary. NM has gotten pretty nice for finding and connecting to different wireless networks, and switching between wife and wired.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 11, 2011
5:57 PM EDT
tc,

Quoting: [...] connecting to different wireless networks, and switching between wife and wired.

What a tangled web you weave. Indeed it could be grounds for divorce in the wrong hands.

YBT
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2011
6:12 PM EDT
You're just envious, Txt.
gus3

Jun 11, 2011
7:35 PM EDT
Bias does not imply falsity.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 11, 2011
7:48 PM EDT
You both got it right.

YBT
caitlyn

Jun 12, 2011
1:00 AM EDT
Unless I need 3G support, which Wicd lacks, I prefer it to NetworkManager. NetworkManager in Pardus 2011 still dropped wifi connections now and then for no apparent reason. Wicd doesn't do that.
Koriel

Jun 12, 2011
3:11 AM EDT
Have been using NetworkManager in Linux Mint XFCE for wifi(b43xx using ndiswrapper) and it works well haven't had any problems or dropouts.

The same can't be said for the native b43 driver which was dropping out under heavy load was a real pain so i disabled it and just used the windows driver.
helios

Jun 12, 2011
10:31 AM EDT
I've found wicd to be outstanding for wireless laptop and wired desktop use. I do use network manager now but it seems to have most of the bugs worked out and I've not had problems with it for a few releases. However, on my T41 thinkpad, network manager is just a worthless icon in my panel and will not maintain a connection for more than 15 seconds. Wicd OTOH works perfectly on that laptop.
Fettoosh

Jun 12, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
Quoting: However, on my T41 thinkpad, network manager is just a worthless icon in my panel and will not maintain a connection for more than 15 seconds.

KNetworkManager occasionally had an issue when running on10.04/10. After hibernating, network locks up and had to be released (delete file) and restarted.

Now running Kubuntu 11.04, it works flawlessly on my daughter's T41 laptop (Atheros AR5212). It also works flawlessly on Compq 6910p (Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG) and home built Ion/Atom machine with Atheros AR928X WIreless

Steven_Rosenber

Jun 12, 2011
7:39 PM EDT
I was recently able to run a 3G USB modem out of the box with NetworkManager. That sold me pretty good.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!