Grishnakh

Jun 14, 2011
3:40 PM EDT
Dump Unity, and switch to KDE.
caitlyn

Jun 14, 2011
3:58 PM EDT
The offer Kubuntu for KDE.

Let's face it, Ubuntu actually beat MacOS and Microsoft in moving to an appliance desktop. That's the way all the commercial OS companies are going and Canonical is no different. We aren't their target audience. The "masses", whoever they are, are the target.
jdixon

Jun 14, 2011
4:03 PM EDT
> The "masses", whoever they are, are the target.

Correct. The question is, can Canonical reach them? No one knows at this point.
Fettoosh

Jun 14, 2011
4:03 PM EDT
Quoting:Dump Unity, and switch to KDE.

I would agree with you whole heartily if it wasn't for some competition.

That is why I choose Kubuntu.

mrider

Jun 14, 2011
4:52 PM EDT
I wonder if there will be "traditional" Gnome desktop project at Ubuntu similar to KDE (E.g. Gubuntu)? It would say a lot if that were to come about and then prove more popular than the Ubuntu directly pushed by Canonical.
jimbauwens

Jun 14, 2011
5:23 PM EDT
The thing is that in order to have a distro with classic gnome, you will need to use outdated gnome 2 or you have to fork it. I don't think Canonical is willing to do any of these things.
mrider

Jun 14, 2011
5:38 PM EDT
Gnome 3 and Unity are not the same thing. At some point in the future, it will be possible to have a Gnome 3 desktop that does not use Unity. That's why I put the quotes around "traditional".

It may even be possible now - I don't know, I don't follow Gnome very closely.

And I know Canonical will not do that, I'm wondering if it will be a less official project similar to Kubuntu or Xubuntu.
hkwint

Jun 14, 2011
5:46 PM EDT
I have another splendid idea: For those with good bandwith, let them choose the DE themselves.

So first you install the suffix ?ubuntu. Then tell users Unity is the only thing which is Canonical-backed, and maybe put a default-time-out of 20 sec which installs Unity if the users eye glaze for 20sec. Then, in those 20 sec or so, let them choose the postfix K,G,X,C,L,666 or whatever fits the user. Just like some other distro's out there do!

Well, probably not going to happen, as Ubuntu is not the distro which is all about choice. The one that is, I'm fairly acquainted with, and multiple times a week I wish it was more like Ubuntu. But then if I'm on Debian, I wish it was more like the one I'm using, because lots of time I simply detest it - especially the package manager apt-get.
Fettoosh

Jun 14, 2011
5:53 PM EDT
Quoting:I wonder if there will be "traditional" Gnome desktop project...

With Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... I don't see a reason why they can't have Gubuntu if GNOME 3.0 with optional Shell is kept alive.

skelband

Jun 14, 2011
6:43 PM EDT
Which leaves the question of which DE is going to be the most popular for us techie refugees.

BernardSwiss

Jun 14, 2011
8:29 PM EDT
Quoting:Suffix: In linguistics, a suffix (also sometimes called a postfix or ending) is an affix which is placed after the stem of a word.

(thank-you, Wikipedia)
I believe the word you want is "prefix"...

Regards, your friendly neighbourhood pedant

montezuma

Jun 14, 2011
9:49 PM EDT
There will be a fallback option which will resemble gnome 2:

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-... %2C-long-live-gnome-panel!

But from what I understand applets still need to be ported from gtk2 to gtk3 and who knows when or if that will happen.
hkwint

Jun 15, 2011
3:55 AM EDT
Bernard: Yeah, I was confused, but corrected it. I'm using AutoCad too less these days it seems... And I thought: "Postfix can't be a word, it's a mail-program". But seems it's also a word.
jacog

Jun 15, 2011
6:06 AM EDT
By the looks of it, Windows 8 will also be going with the 'appliancy' look.
dinotrac

Jun 15, 2011
8:42 AM EDT
>By the looks of it, Windows 8 will also be going with the 'appliancy' look.

Ooooooh. Images of my toaster freaking out and holding the family hostage.

Bad dream. It's just a bad dream.
smallboxadmin

Jun 15, 2011
1:24 PM EDT
>By the looks of it, Windows 8 will also be going with the 'appliancy' look.

But will have fallback to the old desktop, the "choice" is up to the user;oh the irony. Which leads me to the question. Who is asking for changes like Unity and Gnome Shell? Are Canonical and Gnome actually getting feedback from users asking for these or similar changes? Or, as I suspect, these entities telling us what's best for us?

I'm, as I think others here, not so sure a common interface is needed. Clearly tablets and desktops require different interfaces, but what I do on my tablet is nowhere near what I do on my desktop. Both have different roles and I'm doing different types of tasks. I'm kind of beleiving interface designers think users are incapable of having two interfaces for two different devices. I can't possibly know the difference between the times I'm on my iPhone (yea I don't like Android, so too bad) and my Linux desktop.
tuxchick

Jun 15, 2011
1:44 PM EDT
Oh I know smallboxadmin, every time I pick up a smartphone I waste a few minutes looking for the keyboard and CD slot. It's very confusing.
skelband

Jun 15, 2011
2:36 PM EDT
@tuxchick "Oh I know smallboxadmin, every time I pick up a smartphone I waste a few minutes looking for the keyboard and CD slot. It's very confusing."

Ouch, my sarcasm meter just hit the red region :D
skelband

Jun 15, 2011
2:38 PM EDT
They're all missing the point though.

In a few years, we'll all be talking to our PCs, or would we feel really silly talking to a machine? I know the Star Trek image of someone "asking" a computer questions is all very compelling, would we really like it?

It's kinda like the video phoning thing, which was supposed to be the next big thing in communications. It turns out, we just don't like to do it in the main.
gus3

Jun 15, 2011
2:55 PM EDT
@tc,

My smartphone has a USB connector. The keyboard and CD are optional.
hkwint

Jun 15, 2011
3:15 PM EDT
Quoting:every time I pick up a smartphone I waste a few minutes looking for the keyboard and CD slot. It's very confusing.

Yes it is, especially if you push the eject button and the keyboard ejects from the optical drive. I went really crazy when it happened to me the other day!
BernardSwiss

Jun 15, 2011
6:53 PM EDT
Quoting:>By the looks of it, Windows 8 will also be going with the 'appliancy' look.

Ooooooh. Images of my toaster freaking out and holding the family hostage.

Bad dream. It's just a bad dream.

You hope. But it might just be the future...

Google: "Red Dwarf toaster"

Fettoosh

Jun 16, 2011
7:08 AM EDT
@montezuma,

Link URL address is chopped off, full url link is

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-...

Fettoosh

Jun 16, 2011
7:26 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm, as I think others here, not so sure a common interface is needed...

Take a look at KDE 4 Plasma Interface (Configurable Work Space). Users have the option to chose anyone of multiple interfaces on the fly, at any time, and without having to re-log-in.

Quoting: A key component in the KDE workspaces are the widgets, the basic "building blocks" of the desktop infrastructure. Widgets power everything, from a weather forecast on your screen to icons, application menus and panels. Adding and removing widgets is extremely easy, so the desktop can be tailored exactly to your needs and desires. You can share your preferred widgets on a local network, access widgets shared by other users and download new widgets with a single click as they become available from the KDE community.

In addition to "native" Plasma widgets, the KDE workspaces also support third-party widgets including Google Gadgets, Superkaramba, Enlightenment 17 Edje content and some MacOS X Dashboard widgets. Along with the ability to display web sites and other web content directly, Plasma workspaces offer a nearly "universal canvas" for you to customize.

If you are a software developer with even basic knowledge of C++, Javascript, Ruby or Python you can create widgets for personal use or to share with others. Visit the Plasma development tutorials on KDE Techbase to learn how to get started creating your own Plasma widgets.

For more details http://www.kde.org/workspaces/

smallboxadmin

Jun 16, 2011
12:49 PM EDT
@tuxchick "Oh I know smallboxadmin, every time I pick up a smartphone I waste a few minutes looking for the keyboard and CD slot. It's very confusing."

And everytime I'm on my desktop I touch the LCD panel trying to slide my virtual desktops across the screen. I have fingerprints all over my LCD display. I also can't count how many pairs of pants I've ruined trying to put my desktop machine in my pocket.
tuxchick

Jun 16, 2011
1:01 PM EDT
Ha :D See, smallboxadmin, you should carry a giant purse. And a cord reel for the power cord.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!