Changing browsers in the middle of the (data) stream.

Story: Firefox 4 is unsupported, but don't freak out!Total Replies: 8
Author Content
helios

Jun 26, 2011
1:31 PM EDT
You know...I like Firefox...or more so, I like the extensions and addons that I use to make it functional for my work. I had installed Chrome back during the 10.0 release and only played with it shortly and summarily judged it unlikable. And honestly, I didn't work with it long enough to dismiss it that quickly.

Things have changed.'

I updated my Chrome install to the most recent and have been forcing myself to learn and use it. Guess what? We have a convert. The only problem I have concerning Chrome AND Firefox is the damnedable website Pogo.com. With every new release or update to Firefox, Pogo reports that our Java or Flash install is incompatible with the site. No, what is incompatible is their crappy API.

I even froze Diane's Firefox install to a local one, with the entire folder on the desktop...this helps insure that I don't hear about Pogo not working anymore. I don't know, it's 4.something_or_other, but it works. Of course, Pogo.com doesn't render for cr*p on Chrome either, thus the frozen and local Firefox instance.

It's looking like I may be a Chrome convert in the making, however, I don't much care for using the url bar as my search bar...and Google is adamant about not providing one.

Other than that, I am quite happy working in Chrome. I'm not quite enamoured with not having googlebar there but other than that, I seem to like Chrome better.

tuxchick

Jun 26, 2011
1:45 PM EDT
Meh. I wish a pox on all browsers. Because they keep screwing with functionality and Firefox issues update nags practically every day. For example, sometimes middle-click paste URL anywhere in a Firefox window opens the URL. Sometimes not. Konqueror has a one-click clear button for the location bar and the Google toolbar, nice and fast and efficient. None of the others do, presumably because they think the Windows-style ctrl+c ctrl+v is the bee's knees. But I don't want to drag in half of KDE just to use the more capable and efficient Konqueror.

Firefox's URL history has been broken for many releases. It does not show a chronological history of recent sites visited, but instead seems entirely random, keeping sites I have not visited in weeks and not showing recent ones.

Extensions are a crapshoot: Firefox's do not let you search by license, and a lot of them do not keep up with Firefox's fast update pace. Chrome does not impress me as it has even less functionality and less efficiency than Firefox. For all the emphasis on dumbing down er I mean simplifying interfaces, why do browsers remove useful menu items but keep weird crud like Java and Web consoles? I think the change for the sake of change disease is pandemic, and is not guided by any kind of data or rational analysis, but is pulled randomly from dev butts.
dinotrac

Jun 26, 2011
2:37 PM EDT
>dev butts

Hmmm. Not talking cigarettes, are we?
tuxchick

Jun 26, 2011
2:39 PM EDT
Well now dino, that's a good question. Maybe the people making design decisions are reading tobacco leaves.
gus3

Jun 26, 2011
3:56 PM EDT
Or, they're smoking... something.
Koriel

Jun 26, 2011
5:18 PM EDT
Has chrome got proper proxy functionality yet?, can't be bothered looking myself anymore as chrome/chromium devs said they weren't much interested in implementing it so I just got fed up of installing chrome now and again to check if they had.

Its unuseable on all my machines unless they do, and Eric Jung (Foxyproxy developer) won't be able to implement Foxyproxy on Chrome until they do, and thats an addon that I and my family cant live without as it allows us to bypass country restrictions for our UK TV habit in conjunction with SelekTOR.

See here for more info http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=266#makec...
helios

Jun 27, 2011
9:31 AM EDT
Speaking of UK television.....

I almost never watch my actual television anymore (1) because I am usually working when the interesting stuff is on and (2) I cannot any longer tolerate the inane, loud and intelligence-insulting 60 second segments known as commercials.

I'd rather run knitting needles through my eyes.

So I frequent fastpasstv.ms. The television segment of that site often lists British TV shows and I watch a few of them...one in particular is "No Heroics. http://fastpasstv.ms/tv/no-heroics/

It's a world where superhero's exist but many of them range from morally ambivalent to being complete a$$hats...drinking and smoking at a bar where all the superheros hang out.

I'd set up something like foxproxy too if that's what it took to get to some British TV. Any browser that did not allow me to do so would be a non-starter.
DrDubious

Jun 27, 2011
12:07 PM EDT
Am I misunderstanding things, or is all this fuss basically over Mozilla, for marketing reasons, deciding to call their updates "(x+1)" instead of "4.(x+1)" as an excuse to be able to occasionally include new features as they are developed, instead of having to churn away on a huge mass of new features being dumped all at once into a version (x+1) after a year or more of waiting instead?

I don't really see a problem here...though admittedly I'm an unrepentant "rolling-release" fanboy and therefore somewhat biased.
Koriel

Jun 27, 2011
1:50 PM EDT
@Helios

You might want to take a look at this if your interested in UK TV

How to watch the BBC, ITV and Seesaw from abroad.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own the site.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!