Where's the link?

Story: Teo Natty Netbook: Good Things in Small Shiny PackagesTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
cr

Jun 27, 2011
6:06 PM EDT
There should be a pointer to product here, shouldn't there? This isn't Slashdot, where any external link might lead to something far more sinister than Natalie Portman's hot grits, right?

A mention of price (or even comparison of a few common or boundary-edge models with this one) would also be nice.

I need CapsLock to the left of the A so it can be keyswapped with the Control on the bottom left. I use it that way constantly, left pinky planted, when I edit/write using the WordStar-like jstar mapping of (http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net) joe (left-handed, babyducked in the CP/M days, etc). I understand the emacs types might also use the control key a time or two. Being able to undo the messed-up mapping IBM/MS foist on us all is important IMO. All my machines are remapped like that; the other folks around here learn to tap the lower-left Control key twice and see if the CapsLock LED toggles.
techiem2

Jun 27, 2011
7:05 PM EDT
http://zareason.com/shop/Teo-Pro-Netbook.html

There ya go.
cr

Jun 27, 2011
7:07 PM EDT
thankees
tuxchick

Jun 27, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
I added a link and pricing at the bottom of the review, thanks cr.
Koriel

Jun 28, 2011
2:40 PM EDT
Can i get that link to Natalie Portman :)
BernardSwiss

Jun 28, 2011
4:32 PM EDT
One of the cool things about ZAReason is that they recognize the existence of -- and pre-install -- flavours of Linux besides Ubuntu.

(The linked info/order page specifically includes drop-list options for the *buntus, LTS *buntus, Debian, Mint and Fedora)
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 28, 2011
4:40 PM EDT
I'm glad they offer many distributions. Meeting Earl of ZaReason at SCALE a few years back inspired much confidence.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 28, 2011
4:52 PM EDT
Message to the Big K,

Quoting:Can i get that link to Natalie Portman [?]

What happened? Now that she has your kid, she dumps you?

You have my sympathetic understanding,

YBT

caitlyn

Jul 08, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
I read the review and it sounds like a wonderful little netbook. Then I read the price tag and shook my head. $399 base, $507 as reviewed? Talk about a Linux tax! I can get comparable hardware that works fine with Linux (but may require binary blobs, sorry) for $249 with a major name brand on it. Would I spend 60% more just because it comes from a Linux boutique vendor committed to FOSS software. Never. Not in a million years. The only folks who will are a relatively small cadre of hardcore Free Software advocate. As usual, the boutique Linux shops are simply not competitively priced.
jdixon

Jul 08, 2011
12:36 PM EDT
> As usual, the boutique Linux shops are simply not competitively priced.

That's the problem, yes. I would love to support ZAReason, but at a $200+ premium, I simply can't afford to do so.
ColonelPanik

Jul 09, 2011
4:54 PM EDT
>caitlyn & jdixon, Not the way it works. The ZaReason machines are very well made, and with top quality bits and pieces. I have a Lenovo with great specs, and it is cr@p. If I had spent $1500 or more I would have a Lenovo that was top shelf. If you buy a $2000 Panasonic Toughbook you get a Toughbook, it is everything they say it is. Ain't no $500 Toughbooks out there.

If you want a high quality machine built for Linux, with great support, take another look a ZaReason, They are supporting Linux.

jdixon

Jul 09, 2011
11:32 PM EDT
> The ZaReason machines are very well made, and with top quality bits and pieces.

And if the Acer equivalent at Walmart is sufficient for my needs?

It doesn't matter how much better it is Colonel. The cheap alternative is almost certainly more than good enough for my needs. If the price difference were $250 vs. $300, i could consider it, but the price for an Acer Aspire One at Walmart a few weeks ago was $198. $200 vs $400 is a non-starter.

Not that it matters at the moment. My Dell Mini 9 (which cost $225 before taxes and shipping) meets my needs, so I'm not in the market for a new laptop/netbook. When I am, I'll look at what ZaReason offers. But it has to be in the same ballpark as what I can get elsewhere. A 20% or so surcharge for Linux support I can probably handle, 50-100% isn't going to cut it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!