"Slashdot blogger hairyfeet"

Story: FOSS and the Freeloader FactorTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
DrDubious

Jul 11, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
Is it just me, or does Katherine Noyes quote this same Slashdot account in every article?
techiem2

Jul 11, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
Not just you.
Jeff91

Jul 11, 2011
6:11 PM EDT
Well - I'm assuming she emails the same people for every one of these articles. I know I get a message every time she is writing something. Sometimes I find time to give quotes, other times I do not.

~Jeff
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2011
6:32 PM EDT
In that case Jeff91 I'm not missing any of your words of wisdom, as I don't bother reading Katherine Noyes's articles or indeed any from Linux Insider. and won't unril they remove that full page advertisement you are foced to nevigate past when you hit their web site.
Jeff91

Jul 11, 2011
6:38 PM EDT
Ug. I agree tracyanne - those ads are horrible annoying.

~Jeff
nikkels

Jul 11, 2011
8:17 PM EDT
>>>>>>>>and won't until they remove that full page advertisement you are forced to navigate past when you hit their web site.<<<<<<<<<

Which adds are you talking about. I connected to the article ( not read ) and have normal text on the left side...On the right there is no more than with every other website, which you can ignore by closing your right eye :-)

So, I see nothing annoying or anything that possible can waste my time

tracyanne

Jul 11, 2011
8:32 PM EDT
Does that men they've removed the full page ad?
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2011
8:35 PM EDT
It would appear they have, I used to get a bank page (when using adblock) and a full page ad when adblock was turned off, with a message to click on a link to proceed to the story. Neither happened this time. Maybe I'll start reading Linux Insider stories again.
nikkels

Jul 11, 2011
8:37 PM EDT
Don't know.... I only connected to see what you are talking about, so ..I have no idea what was there before.

And in the past, on the very few occasions I went there, I don't seem to remember annoyances either.

I am connecting with Firefox and adblock plus installed.....?
nikkels

Jul 11, 2011
8:43 PM EDT
It would appear they have, I used to get a bank page (when using adblock) and a full page ad when adblock was turned off, with a message to click on a link to proceed to the story.

Yes yes yes.............you are right. I do remember now. It was like that...blank page ...message...click

Sorry for that. But it is a fact that my memory is going downhill fast.

But it doesn't annoy me any more than the kids in Kindergarten. Just " click and forget. " Better for blood pressure !!!!!
BernardSwiss

Jul 11, 2011
8:58 PM EDT
Well. at least he didn't rant about Linux being doomed if it doesn't switch to stable driver ABIs, again...
jdixon

Jul 11, 2011
9:56 PM EDT
Of course, no one is stopping him from writing his own OS with the licensing he wants. Heck no one is stopping him from writing a killer app for Linux which is so good all the distros HAVE to include it, which would have pretty much the same effect.
nikkels

Jul 12, 2011
1:10 AM EDT
The blank screen seems to be back...................
tracyanne

Jul 12, 2011
1:29 AM EDT
It seems the advertisement displays on yout first time access to the website, after that if there's a cookie loaded it skips the ad. Given that I regularly remove my cookies, I'll stay away from Linux Insider. Katherine Noyes doesn't add anything useful, the blog is little more than a mashup

Not going there is even better for my blood pressure than ignoring the ad is.
mortenalver

Jul 12, 2011
2:35 AM EDT
Regardless of advertisements, I'd rather read five Ken Hess articles than one by Katherine Noyes.
nikkels

Jul 12, 2011
4:09 AM EDT
I'd rather read five Ken Hess articles than one by Katherine Noyes.

Is there copy-right on this quote ? Would like to borrow it
mortenalver

Jul 12, 2011
9:06 AM EDT
Sure, just go ahead :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!