The Sleazy Must Know Something

Story: FLOSS: Accept no substitutesTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jul 13, 2011
1:58 PM EDT
The fact that they are using FOSS software popularity to grab more attention to their products is a good indication that FOSS software is in fact getting very popular.

This tactic is getting worse as FOSS apps become more popular. Something has to be done about it before it becomes uncontrollable in the future.

Certificate of Authenticity for download would be helpful. Taking such outfits to court might be an idea but too much involved.

If this continues, I am afraid it might become necessary to control FOSS source code and made accessible only by authentication.

tracyanne

Jul 13, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
Quoting:If this continues, I am afraid it might become necessary to control FOSS source code and made accessible only by authentication.

Actually you don't need the Source Code to package something in a Windows installer... along with a bunch of malware.
Fettoosh

Jul 13, 2011
6:02 PM EDT
Quoting:Actually you don't need the Source Code to package something in a Windows installer... along with a bunch of malware.

No you don't, and I believe you don't need it to create a new deb/rpm package from an existing one either.

The point I was making is how far these sleazy guys could go. There is no guarantee they won't change the source code either if they have or need to.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!