Marketing tool for Linux

Story: Department of Defense launches new Linux for telecommutersTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Jose_X

Aug 04, 2011
11:47 PM EDT
I'd bet that providing a copy of this on a linuxy website's shopping area (along with the dod manuals and brochure and link to the .dod.mil website and licensing statement) will lead to sales and to increased legitimacy of Linux as a whole (which likely would help the linuxy website elsewhere as well). Charge $10 and many more will likely buy it than if you charge $3.

[update edit:] See http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm for a description and mention of Linux, and see section 6.2 (last page) of the user manual http://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/lpsmanual.pdf for a word on licenses. Essentially this licensing blurb references foss/gpl by name, but I think says that you should look at the actual sw for more details.. custom versions (not the public iso, I'm assuming) might come with other restrictions.
Jose_X

Aug 05, 2011
12:07 AM EDT
I went on over to the lxer swag (t-shirts, etc, store) and made notes to self:

>> http://www.cafepress.com/lxerstore sample of store where i think they manage t-shirts etc for you (with your designs). if so, document steps so that everyone can get such a store (openbiz) and appeal to readers for cc-by-sa designs as well as partnership/endorsement to those who create the design (using foss tools --distro!-- or at least open formats). Thus, artists can get distro, learn some linux and foss apps (eg, using youtube videos), create cc content, and make money (a cut from sale of merchandise) which is valuable especially with economy not too strong. win "us", win "partner", win "tux", win "open content philosophy and community".

..to which we can add: "write comment on lxer hinting without too much subtlety that they might want to add the dod linux distro to their line-up of products."
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 05, 2011
1:58 AM EDT
Oh sure, come up with a good idea why don't you? ;-)

Jose_X

Aug 05, 2011
6:48 AM EDT
I forgot to add that it might be a good idea to explain the reasoning behind charging the $10 and that you can get it for $0+CD+effort. I think you would still then have some people appreciate the convenience and be willing to pay for it. If a person might donate $10 (especially if they respect/appreciate the group), then they surely may not mind getting something "free" while they are at it.

Also, I did not check the license on the manuals, but they probably are copyrighted normally.

And I hope someone does an inventory of the iso to see what material is GPL to be able to fetch the sources [$15 for the "blueprints" DVD.] There is a changelog link showing this distro is fairly new, and those interested can see some of the bugs that have cropped up and been fixed.

[Update edit: Explaining the pricing and showing the dod relationship should help some believe the "too good to be true" free foss thing might just be "for real" and even help get ideas into their head.]
JaseP

Aug 05, 2011
8:57 AM EDT
Personally I think the more important thing is that if the DoD is using Linux, with a home cooked distro, there is a public policy objection to patent threats. M$ has got to feel that in the shorts, just a little.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!