The Unity GNOME 3 proponents

Story: Classic Gnome Panel vs UnityTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 14, 2011
5:55 PM EDT
keep telling us that not having a classic menu is great... because now you can type the name or description of an application in a search box, and have that application or a collection of applications with a similar description get listed for you to select. What I want to know is when did typing something become easier than the following, in Classic Gnome panel:

Quoting: Click "Applications" (long movement to panel)

Click the applicaiont's category

Click the application's entry

In addition, given that these new desktop UIs are apparently designed for tablets and other touch devices, when did typing on a tablet or a phone style device become easier than doing the same on a regular keyboard?

If anyone was to ask me, I'd say there's an ergonomics issue that needs to be addressed, with these new UIs.
Grishnakh

Aug 14, 2011
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting:If anyone was to ask me, I'd say there's an ergonomics issue that needs to be addressed, with these new UIs.

Wrong: there's a sanity issue that needs to be addressed.
Ridcully

Aug 14, 2011
6:53 PM EDT
Something similar to this "more clicks to do the same thing" also happened in KDE4 and as far as I know, still occurs.

I believe that there is a basic conflict between the goals of developer satisfaction and user satisfaction. My impressions are that the DE developers aim for what "they" believe is the direction for the software development to take - and to be fair, are undoubtedly motivated by nothing but good intentions. Conversely, the users of a DE seem to be generally quite happy with what they have and are accustomed to its routines and speed. Their needs are best satisfied by small improvements that leave most of the DE unchanged.

On the other hand, the developers love increasing complexity which gives them a lot more attributes to play with and that's perfectly understandable too. It's boring just bug-fixing and far more exciting to produce "future-looking" DEs, even if they become a turn-off to large numbers of the end users.

Ultimately, I think this conflict inevitably produces additional complexity to replace previous simplicity, both functionally at the user-computer interface and in the software itself - and a major group of very unhappy users. We already have a "sort of fork" with KDE4 and Trinity. Personally, I am a traditionalist and I don't want my laptop screen to behave like a Pad or smartphone interface.

My 2c worth.
ComputerBob

Aug 14, 2011
7:36 PM EDT
Dear devs, Please just ADD completely new ways of doing things AS OPTIONS and let those new ways COMPETE with the old ways of doing things -- DON'T take away users' choices and FORCE them to learn completely new ways of doing everything -- unless and until users indicate (by the popularity of the new ways, compared to the old ways) that they don't WANT the old ways any more.
montezuma

Aug 14, 2011
8:03 PM EDT
No ones listening folks. Even Linus can't get the lemming DE devs to see reason.

Someone needs to take a big fork to these projects.
helios

Aug 14, 2011
8:28 PM EDT
Yep, having to type in the name of an app is the most brain dead "feature" they've included. My hand is already on the mouse.....why move it to the keyboard? I teach keyboard shortcuts and they are great but forcing that method of execution is as goofy as it is time-wasting.

gus3

Aug 14, 2011
8:44 PM EDT
Plus, with all the goofy names for apps...

"Let's see, is it GSomething? Type 'g'.... wow, that's a big list... huh?... it's still growing?... how many program names can begin with 'g'? and I'm supposed to look through that? forget it"

Followed by a switch to XFCE.
hkwint

Aug 15, 2011
3:58 AM EDT
I'd say, in a good piece of software the user can choose to use the mouse, keyboard shortcut or type in (part of) the name. Is such not possible in Gnome3?

I just started using Unity (for a week or so), but I still have to figure out how to appoint keyboard shortcuts and the like, but probably that's just me being lazy.
lcafiero

Aug 15, 2011
1:29 PM EDT
Wait . . . typing in the program I want to get the icon for the program I want: Couldn't I do that in a terminal and cut out the middle man, er, icon?

Yep, that's progress.

smallboxadmin

Aug 15, 2011
2:26 PM EDT
Ubuntu has a gun named Unity and is pointing it at its foot.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!