Universities much like corporations

Story: Getting Connected to Illinois State University ISUNET from LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Grishnakh

Aug 25, 2011
12:23 PM EDT
Unlike the olden days when Universities were places of higher learning, these days they're really nothing more than big businesses, and operate much the same way, with little regard for knowledge, and replacing that instead with corporate dogma.
DrGeoffrey

Aug 25, 2011
6:29 PM EDT
Grishnakh - If that's truly the case, then why are faculty in my program getting grief for a too low CPA exam passing rate?

Methinks you paint with too broad a brush.
Jeff91

Aug 25, 2011
6:31 PM EDT
How many of the students pass or fail should not be tied to the professor that teaches the class. A bad student will almost always fail regardless of the teacher and a good student will almost always pass regardless of the teacher.

You want to see how well putting blame on the teacher for low grades works - then look at the USA public education system for K-12 and the sorry state it is in.

~Jeff
mbaehrlxer

Aug 26, 2011
1:05 AM EDT
i strongly disagree with the first part of your statement.

bad teachers can make good students fail more often than bad students. if good students are demotivated because the teacher doesn't reward their effort and they will stop learning and become worse than bad students who are used to that situation. on the other hand a good teacher can even motivate bad students and help them to make a better effort and ultimately become better.

education rises and falls with the teacher.

on the other hand, i agree that putting blame on teachers for bad grades does nothing to improve the situation. the blame needs to go to the teacher education system that produces those bad teachers in the first place.
montezuma

Aug 26, 2011
11:17 AM EDT
I do not agree with your broad brush characterisation. Some universities have become very focussed on money making and the quality has suffered. In the main however those institutions were not very good in the first place that is why they are money hungry. Good universities realise that in order to get parents to cough up the fees (which are high at good places) they have to offer a decent education. US universities are widely rated as the best in the world for a reason: Because the best schools are actually highly focussed on quality. This focus means that the money looks after itself. There are exceptions to this of course but if you choose a school rated in the top 50 internationally you will get a very good education usually and as a result your employment prospects will be high.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!