Excited

Story: 10 steps to getting a Haiku VM runningTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
skelband

Aug 31, 2011
1:07 PM EDT
I remember getting really excited seeing the demos of BeOS all those (many) years ago.

I have some memory of seeing videos playing back on the face of a rotating cube which really was something to behold back then, on a PC.

It is really a big shame that BeOS didn't see better success than it did. The ideas behind the architecture were really quite revolutionary with a very clean multimedia design.

Since the explosion of media consumption on computing hardware, it might have heralded lower power, highly efficient and portable media delivery well before what when we actually saw it..
techiem2

Aug 31, 2011
5:17 PM EDT
I played with the free version of BeOS at one point at it was quite nice. It was a web/graphic/video developer's dream: multiple desktops with independent resolution (and I think color level) settings. Oh man. Yeah, it was quite a neat little OS, but sadly didn't go much of anywhere.
BernardSwiss

Sep 01, 2011
7:24 PM EDT
It wasn't for lack of interest. There were local user groups (BUGs?) and (roughly, by memory) about a third of the local small/independent computer shops(the ones who advertised in the local computer mag, anyways) were offering BeOS &/or dual-boot systems -- until Microsoft figured out how to "discourage" that sort of initiative...
lcafiero

Sep 01, 2011
8:02 PM EDT
BUGs -- very funny, BernardSwiss. The only thing funnier is the fact that their software was called BeWare.

True story.

Anyway, I had a chance to give Haiku a test drive at SCALE this year -- they had a booth -- and it looks the same as BeOS but it seemed to run a lot faster. It's worth a look.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 07, 2011
12:33 AM EDT
BeOS looked very nice when i saw it.

the file system was especially interesting. database like capabilities are something i'd really like to have in linux too. i understand that this is much more than just using extended attributes, but i can't find any articles detailing the special features of the BeOS file system.

the only thing stopping me from trying out Haiku is the lack of multiuser support. for me this is a required feature to be able to separate users and also administrative tasks, and in particular, not require administrative privileges for day to day operations.

the way haiku protects users from accidental tampering with the file system for example leaves a lot to be desired: see http://haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/filesystem-layout.html those warnings give the impression that while it may bot be advisable to rename the system folder it is possible, and allows any user to do it regardless.

with a multiuser system such an action is protected by administrative privileges and i can control who gets those privileges.

greetings, eMBee.
skelband

Sep 07, 2011
1:07 PM EDT
@icafiero : "...but it seemed to run a lot faster."

When I saw it running originally, it was probably on a very early Pentium and I was quite impressed then. The same machine did not have enough umph to decode MPEG2 in Windows (95?) without a decoder PCI card.

What was it running on when you previously saw it?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!