Your Doing it Wrong

Story: It’s My Blog and I Can Write if I Want ToTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Jeff91

Sep 24, 2011
3:26 AM EDT
8$ a month? I'm not sure how much traffic this blog sees but I know there is cheaper hosting than that out there for such content >.<

~Jeff
theBeez

Sep 24, 2011
6:12 AM EDT
Well, his exposure on LXer will give him some traffic. But why is it on LXer, it's an old discussion that will never be resolved.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 24, 2011
8:48 AM EDT
The Bees,

We have routinely seen worse by self assessed technically competent writers, hence, why not some exposure for those where Linux is still new and wondrous? Getting over the barrier just to try Linux or other free software offerings is not easy task for those without experience. Thus, reading someone with admitted, limited technical skills and at their level could entice those that have an interest but restrained by primal fears.

Where is the harm* giving a beginner's site some exposure?

YBT

* If the writer routinely gets the details wrong and is blind to their failings, yes that could be harmful. Otherwise as a recruiting tool such a site could be more effective than one written by an experienced hand, but who has forgotten the fears of a beginner.
Grishnakh

Sep 24, 2011
3:50 PM EDT
I have to agree. $8/month sounds a little steep. I have an account with fatcow.com and I think I only paid $3 or $4/month by buying a 36-month block. Obviously, this is a shared hosting account (the kind where you share a single physical host with lots of other accounts, rather than having one server all to yourself), so it's not high performance, but you don't get that kind of performance until you pay a lot more than even $10/month.
dixiedancer

Sep 24, 2011
3:58 PM EDT
There are lots of blogs about Linux written by us "ordinary users" who aren't technically inclined. We write from an "alternative (as far as Linux blogs go) point of view." And believe it or not, we get lots of readers who find that point of view either:

Dumb, or Refreshing, or A useful window into how "ordinary desktop users" see things, and/or A reminder of how they felt when they were new.

I'm really surprised at the responses I get from Linux gurus that I really respect (I find them in forums and stuff, writing lots of really helpful stuff). Most are complimentary and encouraging. Keep writing since that's what you like to do!

I don't pay for my blog at all, though... I use the free WordPress and still enjoy lots of readers and helpful comments:

http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com

Koriel

Sep 24, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
My hosting is $3.99 per month on a monthly contract with 250gb traffic bandwidth, been with them 5 years now and its been very reliable.
theBeez

Sep 25, 2011
6:51 AM EDT
@TxtEdMacs,

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for giving newbies a chance and if that was the prime motivation, I got nothing against an extra headline. But I was talking from the viewpoint of the readers - and for those there's nothing new here.
ComputerBob

Sep 25, 2011
8:00 AM EDT
Jeff91, the title of this thread should be "You're doing it wrong." I see that you haven't hired an editor yet. ;)
helios

Sep 25, 2011
12:12 PM EDT
Glad you didn't criticize me like that...I ARE an editor....

yeah, like horses are ballerinas
jdixon

Sep 25, 2011
2:37 PM EDT
> ...yeah, like horses are ballerinas

You've never seen the Lipizzan stallions?
vainrveenr

Sep 25, 2011
7:37 PM EDT
Quoting:Jeff91, the title of this thread should be "You're doing it wrong." I see that you haven't hired an editor yet. ;)
.. although it is conceivable that the thread title could be corrected with the addition of a single word beforehand, e.g., "Concerning Your Doing It Wrong".

helios

Sep 26, 2011
12:54 AM EDT
You've never seen the Lipizzan stallions?

Not in tutus and slippers...of course, I don't know what they do off the clock.
jdixon

Sep 26, 2011
9:24 AM EDT
> Not in tutus and slippers...of course, I don't know what they do off the clock.

Seriously, Ken. If you haven't seen them see if you can track down the old Disney shows featuring them. They're something to see. They're not quite ballerinas, but they're the closest equine equivalent.
helios

Sep 26, 2011
9:42 AM EDT
No, I realize their magnificence. I saw them in Belgium when I was stationed in Germany.
theBeez

Sep 26, 2011
10:17 AM EDT
@helios Hmm, I thought they were a Spanish breed trained in Austria. Were they on tour or something?
dinotrac

Sep 26, 2011
1:27 PM EDT
Beez --

They travel. As a kid, I saw them in D.C..
jdixon

Sep 26, 2011
3:58 PM EDT
> No, I realize their magnificence.

Then at least you know what I meant.
Jonquil

Oct 01, 2011
9:22 AM EDT
True there's cheaper hosting solutions but the server I'm on is quick and stable, which is a lot more than I've seen out of the likes of hosting solutions like Go Daddy. I'm also on a rather nice hosting package and got my first year free.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!