that's a cool trick with the backslash

Story: How to Delete a Directory in LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Sep 24, 2011
6:49 PM EDT
I didn't know about that -- is it a relatively new feature?
tuxchick

Sep 24, 2011
7:25 PM EDT
That's an old bash-ism, Bernard. I knew about it a way long time ago, and then forgot until I read this. Very cool!
Fettoosh

Sep 24, 2011
7:44 PM EDT
The article makes it look as if it is part of the rm command. I believe it has been part of the bash shell syntax for aliases for a while

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ignore-shell-aliases-functions-...

[edit: batch => bash] :-)
mbaehrlxer

Sep 24, 2011
9:20 PM EDT
fettoosh: why do you think that? to me To run the original rm command use “\rm” clearly makes this something not part of rm.

indeed an interesting feature, i didn't know about either. i tent to use rm -rf to override the -i which is a bad idea and i always hate doing it. i'll have to remember this one!

greetings, eMBee.
Fettoosh

Sep 24, 2011
10:37 PM EDT
Quoting:fettoosh: why do you think that?

Simply because he didn't explain the fact that, in bash shell, the backslash escapes aliases just as it escapes special characters. This is not obvious and not really mentioned in "man bash" documentation.

Or simply working too hard on a Saturday.

abdullah

Sep 24, 2011
11:52 PM EDT
@fettoosh: Thank you for your comment. I've added a line to my article explaining the use of the backslash in bash.
tuxchick

Sep 25, 2011
12:20 AM EDT
man bash and the Bash Reference Manual don't explain this particular use of the backslash, at least not directly. It may be inferred somewhere, but not in a way I can understand.
tuxchick

Sep 25, 2011
12:21 AM EDT
Oh, Fettoosh said that. Or there is an echo in here :)
Fettoosh

Sep 25, 2011
12:06 PM EDT
Quoting:I've added a line to my article

Perfect, now your snippet article is twice as valuable by publicizing an obscure bash feature. It comes in very handy when executing batch jobs(non-interactive). [edited: added previous].

Quoting: Fettoosh said that...

@tuxchick

I did the same with my first comment above. Your comment wasn't there when I started but was when l posted mine 20 minutes after. I was called upon. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!