How about KDEnlive!

Story: Back to OpenShot for video editing in Debian GNU/Linux Total Replies: 12
Author Content
Fettoosh

Oct 19, 2011
11:07 AM EDT
Quoting:Disclaimer: I've never used KDEnlive.

Any specific reason why you haven't used KDEnlive?

I tried DEnlive 0.7.2 a while back but wasn't comfortable with it. I hear v0.8.2 is coming out soon and supposed to be much more user friendly, reliable, and with many more new features. Has anyone tried it lately and had better experience with it?

Steven_Rosenber

Oct 19, 2011
12:56 PM EDT
I should try KDEnlive. I tend not to run KDE apps since I'm not running KDE. OpenShot has a lot of momentum -- engaged, active developers and users, and that's a big plus.

herzeleid

Oct 19, 2011
1:33 PM EDT
I've been looking for a linux video editing solution that is both stable and not too hard to figure out. As a gnome user, I'd been discounting kde-based apps for aesthetic reasons, but since I've recently revisited kde (4.7 on ubuntu O.O) and am favorably impressed, I owe it to myself to check out kdenlive.
Jeff91

Oct 19, 2011
2:15 PM EDT
As someone who has 0 video editing experience and spent a good deal of time trying most all Linux video editors I personally find Openshot to be the most powerful/easiest to navigate for my home needs.

Not saying this means it is the best over all, it is well laid out though :)

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 20, 2011
11:15 AM EDT
I really wanted Blender to work for me, but I literally couldn't figure out the first thing to do ...

OpenShot is very easy to use. Figuring out the fade-in/fade-out feature made my last video look a whole lot better than the one I edited before that.
Koriel

Oct 20, 2011
2:39 PM EDT
Never could figure out Blender's UI either it just looks like a mess to me, maybe professional folks understand it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on my experience of it.
dinotrac

Oct 20, 2011
2:41 PM EDT
In defense of blender, it's a different kind of package. It's really aimed at 3D animation, not plain ol' video editing, and...

those who learn it seem to like the interface.

Must be one of those very efficient once you know it but hard to learn things.
skelband

Oct 20, 2011
4:57 PM EDT
Blender has changed its interface significantly in 2.5. It's so different it is practically a rewrite. I know a lot of the internals things were refactored as well.

I never really figured Blender for video editing unless you were doing 3D work which is what it is primarily aimed at. The video facilities are really for final authoring of 3D animations, although I haven't looked at that side of things much with my tinkering.

If you looked at Blender in the past and are still vaguely interested, I would recommend having another look at 2.57 which is pretty mature and far more intuitive. It is a huge package though so even now there is a large learning curve.
Fettoosh

Oct 20, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
Blender is pretty sophisticated and would be an over kill for light video editing done by amateur.

scan2006

Oct 20, 2011
6:23 PM EDT
One thing nice about openshot is that it will pass off the titles to blender and let it render them. Mark Bystry a person from my G+ stream posted this picture, I have no idea what he was doing but it does look neat!

Scott_Ruecker

Oct 21, 2011
1:57 PM EDT
Sorry scan2006, I removed your pic because it was taking the thread off the side of the page making the comments unreadable..
skelband

Oct 21, 2011
2:14 PM EDT
Strange, it looked fine here on Firefox. What browser are you using out of curiosity?
Fettoosh

Oct 21, 2011
3:06 PM EDT
Quoting: I removed your pic because...

Using Chrome, It was hiding a small portion on the right side, but would be visible when zooming out using crtl+. Scan2006 could have scaled the image a bit and would have been OK.

How about keeping the Link without the image!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!