How long before a war erupts between Apple and Microsoft ?

Story: Microsoft signs up Compal in patent deal, claims to get cut from half of all Android devicesTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
henke54

Oct 25, 2011
2:10 PM EDT
How long before we see a vicious war erupt between Apple and Microsoft? By SIPHO HLONGWANE. : http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2011-10-25-the-patent-war...
Grishnakh

Oct 25, 2011
2:59 PM EDT
I think it'd be great if those two had a giant war. In a military situation where you have two enemies, and they're enemies of each other, the best thing that can happen to you is your enemies waste their resources fighting each other while you don't get involved. I wonder if there's anything we can do to spark a war between these two.

A war between MS and Apple would be good in many ways. First, by fighting each other, they may drive more users and mindshare to FOSS software. It might help if they started suing each others' customers for patent infringement. Secondly, this war might finally get politicians to do something constructive about the patent situation, and enact a true patent reform (unlike the bogus "reform" that stupid Obama recently signed which didn't help things at all).
Fettoosh

Oct 25, 2011
3:22 PM EDT
Patents are like nuclear weapons. You don't attack one who has them since retaliation could be very devastating to both parties. IBM & Microsoft learned to life together, so can Apple and Microsoft. So will Google and others. Google doesn't care until their bottom line is threatened. So far, MS is hitting OEMs, they in turn are hitting consumers. As long as every corporation is making their profits, nothing will happen.

As more big patent players are created, patent alliances will start forming.

skelband

Oct 25, 2011
3:56 PM EDT
Unfortunately I think Fettoosh is correct.

As long as all the corporations are making money, none of them will wish to rock the boat.

It will take some kind of government intervention <sarcasm> and we all know that's likely to happen in the US </sarcasm>.
JaseP

Oct 25, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
Quoting: As more big patent players are created, patent alliances will start forming.

What do you mean, "will?" They already have started forming...
Fettoosh

Oct 25, 2011
5:55 PM EDT
Quoting:What do you mean, "will?" They already have started forming...

You might be right, but I haven't heard of one agreement that is official and all patents wide inclusive. Like IBM or Google saying "If you sue FOSS for patents, you have to deal with me".

Wouldn't that be nice! :-)

BernardSwiss

Oct 25, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
Doesn't Microsoft already own a fair chunk of Apple?
Grishnakh

Oct 25, 2011
7:30 PM EDT
@Bernard: I thought they sold that off years ago.

Anyway, I'm still hoping that someone will get an itchy trigger finger and start a big war. Just look at how much Apple and Samsung have been going at it lately in the courts. We're never going to have progress on the patent situation as long as there big players avoid rocking the boat.
tuxchick

Oct 25, 2011
7:57 PM EDT
The Terminator movies are actually documentaries, and the Machines are Apple and Microsoft. We're just the collateral damage.
Grishnakh

Oct 25, 2011
9:08 PM EDT
@tuxchick: I think your post is highly offensive to the machines; there's no way they'd have any resemblance to the unreliable junk that Apple and MS produce.
tuxchick

Oct 25, 2011
9:14 PM EDT
Good point, Grishnakh, what was I thinking!
djohnston

Oct 25, 2011
9:29 PM EDT
War? Nuclear weapons? Trigger finger? Seriously?
gus3

Oct 26, 2011
8:30 AM EDT
I thought the Terminator series was a documentary about how my ex's existence came to pass...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!