Non-extortion phone

Story: Microsoft signs up Compal in patent deal, claims to get cut from half of all Android devicesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
zentrader

Oct 25, 2011
2:22 PM EDT
As some time in the not too distant future, we may see a phone that does not communicate with a computer out of the box and will reduce the Microsoft smart phone "FAT" tax collections at least. Aimed at those smart phone users that don't own or communicate with a computer from the phone, there will also be an app available for $5, or whatever the extortion price is, and as long as it is made very clear up front that this is the case, it will not be a problem. As phones become more and more powerful, more people will only own a smart phone or tablet. The "extortion bounty" for Microsoft has to be temporary and it is only a matter of time before ways are found around the extortion tax. Microsoft is after all a one trick pony. Put your OS on every computer sold so that you get paid no matter what OS is actually used. The extortion tax obviously extends this into the smart phone market.
jsusanka

Oct 25, 2011
2:41 PM EDT
so what I don't understand is how mcirosoft can get money from manufacturer and then that manufacturer makes it for barnes and noble - so how can microsoft go after barnes and noble since they are already getting money from the manufacturer.

Grishnakh

Oct 25, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
@jsusanka: I haven't read the article, but I don't think it can work that way. If a component manufacturer licenses a patent, then the products he makes are then covered by that license (usually, the deal is some sort of payment per device). Then, another company that buys those components is covered by the license, and doesn't need to buy additional licenses. The only exception I can think of offhand is if the component manufacturer only buys a limited license to use the patented technology, and then integrators have to pay per-device license fees separately, but it should be obvious that in that case, the component manufacturer would be paying much lower fees than in the first case. Another thing could be that, as is common these days with all the bogus patents, there isn't just one patent covering some "invention", but a whole slew of them, all tied together. So the component manufacturer may be licensing some, but not all of the patents in that group, whereas the integrator is licensing the others.

As I said in another post a minute ago here, I hope Apple and MS get into an all-out patent war against each other. This can only be good for the rest of us.
henke54

Oct 25, 2011
3:16 PM EDT
>As some time in the not too distant future, we may see a phone that does not communicate with a computer out of the box .........

@zentrader : take a look at this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
JaseP

Oct 25, 2011
5:22 PM EDT
You realize that in that video, all the touch surfaces were enabled by embedded computer technology, and that M$ will try to claim that they invented all of it,... Right?!?!
henke54

Oct 26, 2011
4:09 PM EDT
>You realize that in that video, all the touch surfaces were enabled by embedded computer technology, and that M$ will try to claim that they invented all of it,... Right?!?!

@JaseP : yea, so they can see what you eat in the kitchen and so on ... lol ... ->

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=... %2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20110153809.PGNR.&OS=DN/20110153809RS=DN/20110153809

http://us.generation-nt.com/incredible-evil-microsoft-seeks-...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!