Hate is a strong word but I completely understand.

Story: I hate Unity. I hate GNOME. I hate Windows 8. The ultimate desktop search continues.Total Replies: 18
Author Content
kennethh

Nov 09, 2011
8:42 PM EDT
Maybe it's me but I don't think anybody wants to use unity/gnome3/win8.... I'm glad I know it's not just me and that the MATE desktop gets some attention that it needs to carry on a classic interface so many people are accustomed to. Sad part is people (including myself) won't mind using unity or the others on a tablet, netbook and other portable devices, rather we just don't want it on our desktops.

/me Willing to comprise

Your Turn
TxtEdMacs

Nov 09, 2011
9:24 PM EDT
kennethh,

You're new here, right?

Your Buddy Txt == (a.k.a. YBT)*

* File that away so I can use the short form setting you on the right path towards real knowledge**.

** Lets let that suffice for today's lessen. Now search the forums for previous comments on this author's potent winds.
khess

Nov 09, 2011
9:42 PM EDT
Wow, TxtEdMacs, you just can't let anyone like my posts can you? Some people do and you should respect that.
chalbersma

Nov 09, 2011
9:56 PM EDT
@khess really?
tracyanne

Nov 09, 2011
9:58 PM EDT
Ken I stopped reading your posts, so I have no idea if it's good or bad. But I don't stop them from being posted, just because of your past history. Some people may, indeed, enjoy reading them.
jdixon

Nov 09, 2011
10:34 PM EDT
> ...you just can't let anyone like my posts can you?

How's he stopping him, Ken?
khess

Nov 09, 2011
10:37 PM EDT
Did I say 'stopping?' And, I think that's part of the problem is that you and others don't actually read the words that are written. If you did, you might learn something. But, instead, you read a sentence or two of the hook, make up your mind about what it says, and then post your vile ramblings on here. Seriously.
gus3

Nov 09, 2011
10:45 PM EDT
You don't need our help...
skelband

Nov 09, 2011
11:02 PM EDT
OK, Ken, I'll give you a break and say that in this instance I agree with your article 100%.

But I have to say that you are preaching to the converted (or should that be non-converted?) here.

I did like Windows XP, and I really liked Windows 95. There were what they were and things of their time. There, I've said it.

However, both me and my family have gotten to love Gnome 2. It's like a comfy slipper. I just don't want to change and I don't see why I should.

:D
jdixon

Nov 09, 2011
11:30 PM EDT
> Did I say 'stopping?

Your exact words were "you just can't let anyone like my posts can you? ", which implies that absent his action, they would be liking your posts. I.e., that he's "stopping" them from liking your posts.

So, bluntly, yes, you said stopping.

And while txt would almost certainly love to have that kind of power, it seems unlikely that he does.

> And, I think that's part of the problem is that you and others don't actually read the words that are written.

I gave up reading your articles a long time ago, Ken. As such, if you check, you'll find that I don't often comment about your articles. Merely about what you or others say about them here.

Besides, it's not like most of us here don't agree that the Gnome 3, Unity, and Windows 8 interfaces are lousy for desktop usage. If you check, you'll find that It's a rather common topic of discussion.
BernardSwiss

Nov 10, 2011
12:27 AM EDT
Hey, I get it that people around here don't think much of Mr. Hesse. I don't even blame them. He's more or less earned a lot of that poor opinion. And he's certainly willing to dish it out as well as receive.

But do we really have to get into it every D----d time he says anything -- even when he might actually be making sense, for a change?

Let's give it a rest... Please.

flufferbeer

Nov 10, 2011
2:20 AM EDT
> Hey, I get it that people around here don't think much of Mr. Hesse. I don't even blame them. He's more or less earned a lot of that poor opinion.

@BS,

A might ironic that someone named kennethh should start a thread on an article by ken h, don't you think? (I think so!)

2c
Ridcully

Nov 10, 2011
4:29 AM EDT
Okay Ken.........how about you go try Trinity.......????????

http://dot.kde.org/2011/11/08/trinity-project-keeping-35-ali...

I know others are waiting for the chance to return to what was a very highly regarded DE. Perhaps Trinity might satisfy your requirements.

dinotrac

Nov 10, 2011
6:25 AM EDT
@ken -

Apple's pretty good on this one, aren't they?

Years of defining, honing, and enforcing how the Apple desktop and the applications running there should look and work results in a stubborn resistance to change for the sake of change.

I use two different desktops in my home and office networks. My personal workstation runs XFCE. I like well enough, not as well as I liked KDE 3.x. Other workstations run Mint and "classic" GNOME. I like that fine, but understand that the new Mint will be using GNOME 3 with tweaks to make it usable for people who have to get work done.

Makes me want to try KDE4, which I understand to be rounding decently into shape, except that I still haven't figured out how to trust KDE developers. They're planning for KDE 5 now, and I can only stand to have so many rugs yanked out from under me.
mrider

Nov 10, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
I read the editorial since I was interested in the comments on the page as much as I was interested in the content. I have to say that I agree with much of what Ken says. Maybe it could have been worded with a little less "let's get page hits" style, but basically I agree.

Fortunately, I don't see any reason to suffer with Gnome3 or Unity or Windows8. I can always choose something else. Right now I use XFCE on Debian Stable everywhere. I'm starting to come to the opinion though that I don't even need to use the same desktop everywhere.

My next laptop build will likely be Bodhi - I really like what Jeff has done, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. I particularly like the idea of having a pretty and slick interface on my travel companion so I can show off.

My older desktop will likely stay XFCE. I'll probably try Trinity on my newer desktop.

The point behind my rambling is that fortunately there are choices. I'm not convinced that there's an "ultimate" desktop - at least not for me - but there are certainly plenty of options. I realize Ken that sometimes one simply needs to find stuff to write about, but in this case my simple advice is branch out even further. That's one of the cool things about choice: you can choose what suits you. :)
Grishnakh

Nov 10, 2011
1:48 PM EDT
@dinotrac: According to the KDE devs, KDE5 won't be much different from KDE4; it's just a version number bump to reflect the change to Qt5 from Qt4, and they don't plan any major changes in the KDE code like with the 4.0 series. I see no reason to disbelieve them either; a change as monumental as KDE4 takes a lot of time to do, and we saw this time with KDE4.0, because it was around as "KDE 3.9x" for quite some time before they bumped the number to 4.0. There's no "4.9x" branch right now, so I think it's safe to assume there's no secret project to make an all-new dumbed-down KDE5.0. They've been pretty clear with their direction, though you may or may not agree with it.
Fettoosh

Nov 10, 2011
2:53 PM EDT
Quoting: it's just a version number bump to reflect the change to Qt5 from Qt4

Those changes, along with improvements & enhancements to be backtracked from Plasma Active, will make KDE 5.0 even much better than KDE 4.0

dinotrac

Nov 10, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
Maybe so, but the driving force for KDE 4 was the change from Qt3 to Qt4.
kenjennings

Nov 10, 2011
5:48 PM EDT
"Maybe so, but the driving force for KDE 4 was the change from Qt3 to Qt4." Gosh, I wish that was all they did. If they just upgraded from Qt3 to Qt4 then KDE would be usable and not the current nonsensical mess.

I'm a one of many put off of KDE by KDE4 and looking forward to Trinity in the next openSuse version.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!