What's it gonna be?

Story: Ubuntu: time to get rid of the sense of entitlementTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 12, 2011
4:58 PM EDT
OK, I'm willing to go with this piece. Maybe Ubuntu is not the warm fuzzy "Linux for Human Beings". However, if we are to see Ubuntu as a corporate product and not as a community project, then I reject the notion I need to be grateful.

If Ubuntu is nothing more than a thing peddled to get some money somewhere, I reserve the right to just see it as an Operating System product that doesn't fit my needs and therefore I reject it. If it is just a means to get to my wallet, I don't owe Mark S. a thing. Not even if Linux Mint is built upon it. If Ubuntu is just a product, then Mark S. is just being stupid giving it away or very shrewd. Get people hooked and then exact some form of toll.

So what is it gonna be? A community project? Where we might be inclined to be grateful for a well maintained Distro? Or just another corporate product, designed to extract revenue? In which case it does or doesn't meet the needs of its users and can be adopted or discarded according to what it delivers. Nothing more.

Grishnakh

Nov 12, 2011
5:18 PM EDT
If Shuttleworth thinks he's going to compete directly against Android and iOS and get major device vendors to pre-install his OS, he's sadly deluded. The only way I see of Ubuntu becoming profitable is by Ubuntu users advocating it to their employers, their friends and family, etc., and then making money on support services (esp. with the corporate angle). By pissing off their most competent users, that's not going to happen; if someone asks me what Linux distro to run, for example, I'll probably recommend Mint.
tracyanne

Nov 12, 2011
5:35 PM EDT
I agree with Sam on every point except 1.

Quoting:It's time to start showing some gratitude for what Ubuntu provides in terms of usability to a very large number of users.

I don't have to be grateful. Canonical provides that usability for purely selfish reasons. My gratitude is unnecessary.
theBeez

Nov 12, 2011
7:17 PM EDT
@trayanne I agree with you, which is hardly a surprise because I blogged about this one a long time ago. It's his baby, he can do with it whatever he wants. May be he just chose the wrong name for it, because Ubuntu ("humanity towards others") is a somewhat pretentious title for a commercial product.

Comes with it I never liked the product from the moment I heard about it and the experiences friends had with it (updates that broke a machine down beyond repair) didn't help. Again, in my post at that time I recommended Mint and it seems to have surpassed Ubuntu - hardly a surprise. But personally, I don't run it either.

The beauty of it all, however, is that it proves one HAS a choice. And that is what FOSS is all about. The bazaar simply works.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 14, 2011
3:01 AM EDT
Quoting:The beauty of it all, however, is that it proves one HAS a choice. And that is what FOSS is all about. The bazaar simply works.

Choice(s), the true gift of Open Source.

linuxwriter

Nov 18, 2011
6:04 PM EDT
Tracyanne,

If Canonical was providing Ubuntu for a price, then nobody would need to be grateful.

Given that it's free, I think it's good to show some gratitude. Remember, they are not the only ones benefitting. The user is too.

Also think of how much you would spend on Windows if you ran it (last time I bought it was $175 Australian) and the attendant headaches which are absent from Ubuntu.

Sam
flufferbeer

Nov 18, 2011
6:22 PM EDT
@linuxwriter,

you wrote: > Given that it's free, I think it's good to show some gratitude. Remember, they are not the only ones benefitting....

Otoh, smelly, rotten garbage/rubbish is ALSO free for the taking. Don't know about you, but all humor aside, I certainly don't see it's good AT ALL to show gratitude for people dumping their smelly, rotten garbage/rubbish on top of ME!!

2c
gus3

Nov 18, 2011
8:52 PM EDT
@fb: Grateful you didn't pay for it?
jacog

Nov 21, 2011
5:32 AM EDT
What is this, Pollyanna?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!