I know!... I know! ...

Story: What's more economical than a web-based desktop?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
JaseP

Nov 15, 2011
10:42 AM EDT
I know what would be more economical that a cloud based desktop!!! A cloud based desktop talking to vitualized servers!!! ... Sorry, I couldn't resist...
r_a_trip

Nov 15, 2011
11:27 AM EDT
I have not read the article, seeing that it is from Mr. Hess. I'm not a follower of the Cult of Cloud.

My guess is that all the old talking points for client-server computing have passed the revue. Software maintenance and backup are better. You always have the latest software. You have professionals handling your IT needs. You can access your files anywhere. You don't have to sync. Your storage is virtually limitless. Your desktop just needs to be a lightweight machine and is therefore cheaper.

There is only one problem with the above. All the above only comes to pass if you keep paying the monthly fee to your "Cloud" provider. The fee itself may seem low, but taking it cumulatively over the course of your entire computing life this amount of money may be significantly higher than the cost of your own PC and one off licensing fees for shrink wrapped software or, badabing, gratis Free Software.
Grishnakh

Nov 15, 2011
2:50 PM EDT
I'll pass on clicking this one since it's from Mr. Hess, the guy who thinks we should all be providing our own hardware for work.
jdixon

Nov 15, 2011
6:00 PM EDT
> I'll pass on clicking this one since it's from Mr. Hess...

A wise decision, I think.

ComputerBob

Nov 15, 2011
6:04 PM EDT
If Hess posts an article and no one replies to it, does Hess get to keep posting articles?

Let's try it and see.
Grishnakh

Nov 15, 2011
10:57 PM EDT
Mr. Hess only gets money when we click on the article itself. We can make nasty comments about it all we want here on lxer.com, as long as we don't click over to ZDnet and give them ad revenue.
ComputerBob

Nov 15, 2011
11:58 PM EDT
Quoting:Mr. Hess only gets money when we click on the article itself. We can make nasty comments about it all we want here on lxer.com, as long as we don't click over to ZDnet and give them ad revenue.
Mr. Hess posted here a few weeks ago, bragging about the fact that LXer users' need to discuss every article that he writes ends up sending him lots more clicks, which allow him to laugh all the way to the bank.
flufferbeer

Nov 16, 2011
12:03 AM EDT
@above,

Yeah, and I bet once "Mr. Hess" sees that fewer and fewer people are reading and replying to this VERY LXER THREAD, he'll start to jump right in and go mouthing off here, or else create his OWN accuse-those-lxer-commentators thread! Right, guess that I'll just go ahead and practice what I'll preach and respond no further....

-fb

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!