A fan that loves to hate Gnome

Story: Gnome 3, Try 3Total Replies: 5
Author Content
waltdog72080

Dec 11, 2011
11:00 PM EDT
I have been using Gnome for years and was really in love with Gnome 2, but when they came out with Gnome 3, i was really upset. I still use it to this day because I know Gnome will come up with something soon, but time is running out. I believe that Gnome 3 and Unity are the worst there is. Now that's just me. For now I will keep Gnome 2 installed till they come up with something better. I have hope in the gnome, I still love you.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 12, 2011
12:32 AM EDT
Even though I find a lot to like in GNOME 3, the reviewer here, number6x, hits it on the head pretty well -- you should be able to access applications by clicking on icons on the panel or desktop, you should be able to access virtual desktops by clicking on the panel or desktop.

On my GNOME 2 desktop, I've got icons for 22 applications on the upper panel. I can toggle between six virtual desktops on the lower panel.

I think that options to do these things will be easier to implement in due time in GNOME 3, in which extensions can be coded in Javascript and CSS.

For now, this whole Unity/GNOME 3 mess -- again, even though I'm OK with both GNOME 3 and Unity in their own way, I acknowledge that this is a mess, there's always Debian Stable, which offers good ol' GNOME 2, and will probably continue to be Debian's stable release through early 2013 and will be supported as Old Stable for a year after that. Hook up Debian Backports and the Debian Mozilla APT Archive and you get newer versions of critical applications to go with your old, crusty GNOME 2. That's what I'm doing ...

Debian lets the crotchety stay crotchety.
gus3

Dec 12, 2011
12:50 AM EDT
Slackware lets the sensible stay sensible.

Heh.
r_a_trip

Dec 12, 2011
5:03 AM EDT
Gnome 3, for me, is a huge source of mixed feelings. Since the advent of MGSE and the new extensions.gnome.org, I've been able to pick and choose the extensions that make Gnome 3 bearable.

Still, the Gnome 3 desktop is sparse. It feels like an early 2000's project with the provided tools and options. The default look is fine, but don't expect anything fancy. Don't expect to find easy accessible, little utilities. The "control center" is a ghost town in comparison to what is available in Gnome 2.

The only reason I put up with it, is because Gnome 2 is (un)dead and the path forward looks like it's going to be Gnome 3. I still have a silent hope that Gnome 3 will mature and regain some of its former Gnome 2 usability during development. Distraction free computing is fun as long as the devs can really code on the core. Once that is done, new features are where the coding fun is at.

While the new extensions site offers some nifty little tools and the selection is small, I foresee some problems in the future if the site design doesn't change. Right now it doesn't have categories. Even in it's nascent state, it already has extensions that only run on the latest development release. I can see this growing in an unwieldy monster pretty fast. Let's hope the Gnome devs realize that soon.
giev

Dec 12, 2011
8:44 AM EDT
Quite frankly, with all this Linux desktop cr@p hitting the fan, Windows starts to seem to me like the forbidden fruit I swore I will never touch (again..). I hope the devs come to their senses and realize that what they're currently doing is actually KILLING the Linux desktop.

I want SO MUCH to use KDE, but the lack of a reliable way to integrate with Exchange is a show stopper for me. Please don't mention Thunderbird, I want seamless desktop integration and Thunderbird ain't it.
DrGeoffrey

Dec 12, 2011
11:43 AM EDT
The best cure for Windows self-delusion is to spend a day in never-never land.

Every day I'm confronted with a Windows desktop provided, ever so thoughtfully, by my employer. Every third day or so (on average) it locks up.

Every day I use M$Office I curse the unconfigurable ribbon, and watch as Office commits suicide (inevitable, if you dare to think and type quickly).

Most days the desktop sits there playing music from Pandora. But even that is too difficult for Windows, which forces itself to be rebooted at a minimum of once a week.

Even kde4, for all my cursing last week, never crashed. With XFCE I've gone months without rebooting. Only my curiosity about new ways Linux has left MS behind has led me to reboot my system.

Yep, the best cure for MS-envy is to try and use their products.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!