Very revealing information

Story: Sen. Franken Statement on Responses from Carrier IQ, Wireless Carriers, and Handset ManufacturersTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
penguinist

Dec 16, 2011
11:57 AM EDT
Sprint admits in their response to Senator Franken that they are tasked to "collect and report data" from "1.3 million devices", and that they began "including Carrier IQ software on devices in 2006", with 26 million Sprint devices currently active with the software.

AT&T reports installations on "approximately 900,000 devices, with 575,000 of those collecting and reporting ... information".

Keep up the good work Senator Franken. We need this blatant violation of our digital privacy rights to come to quick end and not be repeated.
JaseP

Dec 16, 2011
12:08 PM EDT
He's a co-sponsor of Protect IP,... He's no open internet hero... And, by the way,... SOPA/Protect IP are equal opportunity face-palms... There is blood money on congressional representation on both major parties, and in both legislative bodies. RIAA/MPAA have thrown down MAJOR cash on both sides of the ticket, way outgunning the meager efforts of big tech to defeat the bills... I hear REM's "It's the end of the world, as we know it..." playing in my head (and I might as well quote them now while it's still legal). Anyone know of a country where the internet is still free, so is living your life free of interference, and there are jobs available????
Grishnakh

Dec 16, 2011
1:14 PM EDT
@JaseP: Sweden isn't completely free, but it's a lot better than the USA as far as internet freedom. Many eastern European countries are probably pretty free too; I hear that many of them have very high-speed connections available for dirt-cheap monthly prices, putting internet access here in the USA to shame. There's a lot of software jobs in many eastern European countries like Latvia. However, the pay probably isn't that great, but the local cost-of-living is probably pretty low.
theBeez

Dec 16, 2011
1:15 PM EDT
It's always fun to see how a bug has "unintended" functionality, which allows a software developer to read or even manipulate the devices where it's installed on. Darn, I always have to work very hard to achieve that!
penguinist

Dec 17, 2011
12:33 AM EDT
Update: it looks like Sprint promised today to remove the Carrier IQ keystroke monitor from all their handsets. The manufacturers have orders to prepare handset updates to remove it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!