Another reason to be glad I dumped openSUSE

Story: GNOME Shell -the UI revolution is well under way Total Replies: 11
Author Content
Grishnakh

Dec 20, 2011
2:34 PM EDT
SUSE used to be the best KDE distro around, years ago. But then they got bought out by Novell, then Novell signed that evil patent agreement with MS, bought up Ximian and switched to Mono and GNOME, and now they're trumpeting the horn for this dumbed-down UI garbage that's all the rage now. The Linux world will be better off when SUSE is dead and buried.
JaseP

Dec 20, 2011
3:20 PM EDT
Oh, c'mon,... There's room at the Linux table, even for turn-coat traitor, RedHat wannabes like SuSE... We can just ignore them... we don't even have to pass the the salt or the gravy boat...
number6x

Dec 20, 2011
3:55 PM EDT
SuSE and Mandrake (now Mandriva) use to be great KDE distros. SuSE was a very big contributor to KDE.

Thankfully debian and Slackware are still good.

That Novell deal relly cut the heart out of SuSE.
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
Novell is gone and, honestly, I'm not at all sure it really affected openSUSE. openSUSE is still around and last I checked it supports BOTH KDE and GNOME. You guys don't like openSUSE? Fine, but this thread is over the top to say the least.
Grishnakh

Dec 20, 2011
5:40 PM EDT
Fedora supports KDE too, but no one in their right mind would bother with it because it receives zero attention from the distro maintainers. As we can see here, openSUSE obviously doesn't care about KDE either, and is more interested in pushing the new dumbed-down UIs, so if you're a KDE user, there's no reason to bother with openSUSE either; you should instead look for a distro that supports it.
number6x

Dec 20, 2011
5:41 PM EDT
I was waxing nostalgic for the late 90's.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
5:41 PM EDT
From what I hear, openSUSE is trying to put all the major DEs on equal footing (KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Xfce).
caitlyn

Dec 20, 2011
5:50 PM EDT
@Steve, you're right, and Fedora also supports KDE well nowadays because RHEL supports KDE as an alternative to GNOME. I don't know what it is with all the hating today. Clearly the holidays make some people grumpy.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2011
6:16 PM EDT
I don't have any experience with alternate desktops in openSUSE, but I can say that the LXDE and Xfce spins of Fedora are very full-featured. Best Xfce desktop I ever used -- Fedora 13.
andyprough

Dec 21, 2011
3:40 AM EDT
KDE on openSUSE 12.1 with Tumbleweed repositories giving me constant updates is beautiful on my laptop. No complaints about it here. Last time I installed it, KDE was still the default, and openSUSE's version of KDE is still heavily configured, with lots of great integrated YaST2 tools for KDE.
herzeleid

Dec 21, 2011
4:12 PM EDT
Very happy with kubuntu these days...
caitlyn

Dec 22, 2011
12:23 AM EDT
I remain happy with Xfce on both SalixOS and Vector Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!