Not really "Enterprise"

Story: Mozilla Plans for Firefox Enterprise - Will it Slow Innovation?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
techiem2

Jan 12, 2012
10:31 PM EDT
Rather than calling a version "Enterprise" because they are supporting it longer, I really wish they'd make a true Enterprise Version that can actually be centrally managed (you know, like how that nasty IE can be via .group policy and such).
caitlyn

Jan 13, 2012
12:46 AM EDT
+1 The longer support cycle is a great start. There are a lot of good reasons to use Firefox and not having the endless upgrade treadmill will be wonderful, and not only for business. However, central management would make Firefox a much more attractive proposition in the enterprise.
techiem2

Jan 13, 2012
12:49 AM EDT
And of course I personally would NOT want it to be via the Windows GPO. While that is an OK tool, it can be a massive pain to work with (especially with the growing number of policies in each new Windows version), and of course would be useless for *nix clients. I'd personally like a really firefox-policy service running on one of my *nix servers with a nice web based admin tool for me to configure the policy settings from (I wouldn't be opposed to having it able to link into a PDC/AD/LDAP for user/group capabilities though) that would get pushed to/pulled from by the client machines.
caitlyn

Jan 13, 2012
12:54 AM EDT
Agreed. I've stopped being surprised by just how many businesses actually do use Linux for workstations/desktops. While most companies don't do wholesale Windows -> Linux migrations a whole lot of companies do use Linux desktops for developers, engineers, high end graphics design, etc... It's become a desktop of choice for specialty departments, while the bulk of the more mundane departments (from a techie perspective) in a company stick with Windows. *nix clients are genuinely important. If Mozilla came up with a central management tool for Firefox that was truly cross platform they'd really be on to something.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!