I'm sure they learned their lesson

Story: Congress withdraws SOPA, PIPA anti-piracy measuresTotal Replies: 31
Author Content
jhansonxi

Jan 21, 2012
12:49 AM EDT
This type of controversial legislation needs to be buried in farm and budget bills.
djohnston

Jan 21, 2012
3:07 AM EDT
Quoting: U.S. lawmakers stopped anti-piracy legislation in its tracks on Friday, delivering a stunning win for Internet companies that staged an unprecedented online protest this week to kill the previously fast-moving bills.

Yep. Had nothing to do with Congressional offices being swamped with calls, faxes, emails and letters from citizens, I'm sure.

Internet companies -1 Citizens - 0

Quoting: In a brief statement on Friday, Reid said there was no reason why concerns about the legislation cannot be resolved. He offered no new date for the vote.

Doesn't mean there will be no new vote. Consider this from SOPA's author, Lamar Smith:

http://www.webpronews.com/sopa-is-back-resume-february-2012-01

Quoting: If you needed any more proof that SOPA isn’t really dead, just delayed, look no further.

Despite calls that SOPA, for all intents and purposes, had been killed in the House of Representatives, the truth was that the harmful legislation had simply been put on the backburner.

Just ask Lamar Smith, SOPA author:

Stop Online Piracy Act Markup to Resume in February

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) today said that he expects the Committee to continue its markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act in February.

Chairman Smith: “To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America’s intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy.

“Due to the Republican and Democratic retreats taking place over the next two weeks, markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act is expected to resume in February.

“I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property.”

Meanwhile,

Quoting: There are already alternatives in the works.

Senator Ron Wyden introduced a bill last month that he said "meets the same publicly stated goals as SOPA or Protect IP without causing massive damage to the Internet."

Representative Darrel Issa on Wednesday introduced a companion bill in the House.
helios

Jan 21, 2012
10:23 AM EDT
“I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property.”

Am I the only one who is sick of politicians wrapping themselves in the flag just so they can carry the water for lobby interests? They have no clue as to how transparent they really are, do they? When Al Franken can be "persuaded" to support bills like this, you have to wonder at just how corrupt the air is in the Beltway.
dinotrac

Jan 21, 2012
10:52 AM EDT
There is one very big question that really should be the ONLY question we ask our legislators these days:

Have you taken a freakin' look around? Do you seriously think THIS is the most important thing to do with your time?

OK, that's really two questions, but the second is the biggie.
helios

Jan 21, 2012
11:12 AM EDT
just join them with the much aligned "....." and you have a perfectly acceptable twofer.
djohnston

Jan 21, 2012
5:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Am I the only one who is sick of politicians wrapping themselves in the flag just so they can carry the water for lobby interests?

No. And I thought it was just me. ;-)
caitlyn

Jan 21, 2012
6:12 PM EDT
I want to see what Ron Wyden comes up with before jumping to the conclusion that it's just warmed over SOPA. He's had a good record when it comes to consumer protection.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm one of those horrible, evil types who believes internet piracy is theft and does need to be prosecuted. We don't need SOPA or PIPA to do it as the recent action against MegaUpload proves and we sure as heck don't need to give corporations the power to act as law enforcement, judge and jury without any due process or recourse.
helios

Jan 22, 2012
12:02 AM EDT
Point well made Caitlyn. I think they came pretty close to shooting themselves in the foot with the MegaUpload stormtrooper move. I hope this is used when countering against the need for these new laws. How many laws allowing the same thing do they need?
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2012
1:57 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm one of those horrible, evil types who believes internet piracy is theft and does need to be prosecuted.

I'm not sure how that makes you evil. But you are correct PIPA and SOPA are not necessary, indeed the laws under which Megauploads were taken of air might actually be excessive as well. What has to be kept in mind are what the harm is that's done in the name of mitigating another harm. "Piracy"seems to me to be a much more trivial issue, both in terms of actual harm done currently and potentially, than the current errosion of rights in the name of mitigating "piracy".
JaseP

Jan 22, 2012
10:05 PM EDT
I don't think we should be waiting for Ron Wyden,... We should take a cue from the Big Media lobby, and write the GD bill ourselves ...
helios

Jan 23, 2012
6:42 AM EDT
Yep....we police our own. Some may not like it and when it comes down to the facts, whether I agree with it personally or not, downloading copyrighted materials without paying for it is wrong. And trust me....I was a part of the madness as well. I equate the past few years and the download free-for-all that was Napster, Bearshare, Limewire, etc as being one long looting session.

It was done for so long, by so many, that it seems to be a publicly sanctioned activity.

That still doesn't make it right. We don't like the idea that the RIAA gets the lion's share of the artist's money? Let's run the #*&@&#'s out of business. Slow but sure we can do that. But in the meantime, let's be pro-active in writing the laws that surgically removes the problem and not a scorched earth method like PIPA.
Khamul

Jan 23, 2012
4:08 PM EDT
@helios: Sorry, there's nothing wrong with ignoring bad laws. I won't lose any sleep downloading anything that's more than 14 years old. Just because some greedy a-holes lobbied Congress to make something illegal doesn't mean it's "wrong".

helios

Jan 23, 2012
11:38 PM EDT
OK, I can roll with that Khamul. But isn't there a petition out there asking for investigation into Chris Dodd executing bribery? It's not really looked on as bribery though is it? It's business as usual In the Beltway and it's been done for so long that no one cares. Still, it is illegal for an elected official to take money to create laws in the interest of anyone else.

So can't you apply the same to what "they" are doing? I'm sure they look upon taking campaign contributions with the same nonchalant attitude many of us had with copyrighted file downloading.
Khamul

Jan 24, 2012
12:47 AM EDT
Well, the honest truth is that morality is relative, no matter how much religious people might want to argue it. What one person considers "right" others consider "wrong". Here in the USA, we (at least most of us) don't think it's "wrong" for a woman to show her face or ankles in public, but in middle eastern countries that can get you arrested or stoned. Heck, even in Victorian times in England it was considered wrong for a woman to show her ankles in public, but things have changed.

So, everyone has their own morals. Many times, most people in a society agree on the basics: it's wrong to murder, rape, assault, etc. (Again, societies differ: in middle-eastern societies, rape is considered perfectly OK, except that the woman is to be stoned for "instigating" it.) But on the finer points, there's frequently disagreement. On the big things (murder etc), society usually encodes its morals into laws. On the smaller things, not so much. Either the law doesn't address the issue, or in the case of corruption or other systemic problems, laws are enacted which go directly against the morals of most members of society. Just look at US society during Prohibition: the law said alcohol is "bad", but the people didn't agree and a giant black market rose up. The law was repealed shortly after. Point is, you can't look at the law for deciding what's right and wrong. Right and wrong are generally timeless; you can't say it's OK to do some action today, and wrong to do the exact same action tomorrow, yet if you try to base your morality on laws that's exactly the silliness your flawed logic will lead you to. Was it wrong for people to consume alcohol in 1933, yet perfectly OK in 1934? That concept is utterly ridiculous. Either having a glass of wine with dinner is OK, or it's not. Since it's been OK for western society for several thousand years, it was OK for Jesus (for anyone who's Christian, which is a large amount of US society), and it's OK now, the obvious conclusion is that the Prohibition laws themselves were wrong, and if a law is wrong, there's nothing wrong with ignoring that law.

As for bribery, IMO that's wrong too. A lot of people agree with me, from what I can tell (there's no shortage of activists trying to get campaign finance reform enacted, with little success since it's basically the foxes guarding the henhouse). Unfortunately, the laws haven't caught up with society's morality. The best we can ever do is keep trying to get our leaders to make the laws fit our society's morality where appropriate, or otherwise simply leave us free to have our own morality (this may not be possible if it causes harm to society or others; e.g. "your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins"). But saying that we should follow all the laws all the time without question is wrong, and I'm sure Martin Luther King Jr. would agree with me on that one.

Personally, I think we should have copyright, but that the terms need to be drastically shortened. Copyright is supposed to be a balance between the interests of content creators, and society, allowing the creators a limited monopoly on reproduction and distribution, in exchange for the work going into the public domain afterwards so everyone can enjoy it for free. What we have now is not limited in any practical sense, it's longer than just about anyone's lifetime, and it keeps getting extended, so it's essentially unlimited. The Founders originally set it at 14 years, which is pretty good, but if I could revise the system, I'd make it only 5 years, and if you want more protection than that, you need to register your work and pay a fee for an extension, like they already do for patents. The extension would only be good for 5 more years, after which you could pay another fee for an additional 5 years, and this could last indefinitely. The catch is, those fees would go up by an order of magnitude every 5-year term, so at some point, the profits from that work simply won't be worth the astronomical fees, and they'll let it lapse into the PD. For totally unprofitable works, they'll be out into the PD in a nice, short 5 years, which is much more fitting in this age of ultra-fast lossless communications than the days of communications over horseback and sailing ship.
BernardSwiss

Jan 24, 2012
1:19 AM EDT
One quibble:

the Founders did not set copyright at 14 years, or for any term at all -- in fact the topic of putting "intellectual property" provisions into the constitution was so contentious (plausible benefits versus likely abuses), they dealt with the whole matter by passing the buck, fobbing it off onto Congress.
Khamul

Jan 24, 2012
2:28 AM EDT
@Bernard: Good point, but the first copyright act came out in 1790, so the Founders were directly working with the Congresspeople at the time, and George Washington himself signed the bill into law.
jdixon

Jan 24, 2012
9:48 AM EDT
> Well, the honest truth is that morality is relative, no matter how much religious people might want to argue it.

The honest truth is that there is absolutely no way to determine the matter one way or the other, and your statement is therefore entirely a matter of opinion. And discussion beyond that point will rapidly degenerate into a TOS violation which will close the thread, and therefore it's best left at that.
Fettoosh

Jan 24, 2012
1:55 PM EDT
Quoting:Again, societies differ: in middle-eastern societies, rape is considered perfectly OK, except that the woman is to be stoned for "instigating" it.

Morality is not absolute. I suggest you don't try that, otherwise her family will feed you what is in your crotch.

Khamul

Jan 24, 2012
2:10 PM EDT
@Fettoosh: Being a product of western society, it's against my morals to do such a thing. However, the truth of my statement can be seen in multiple press reports about events in Iran; that's just the way they live over there. Don't forget "honor killings", a very common thing in that region. We had an Iraqi right here in Phoenix run over his daughter (killing her) because he was mad that she was "too westernized". He almost managed to escape prosecution by fleeing the country, but the Brits apprehended him in London before he could continue his flight to the mid-east.

Fettoosh

Jan 24, 2012
4:53 PM EDT
@khamul,

Pride and honor played a huge role in that culture for a long time, on the other hand, it kept a social balance in tact all that time when there were no civil law enforcement.

That is why I said Morality in not absolute, it all depends on the social structures, customs, and education.

skelband

Jan 24, 2012
5:43 PM EDT
A lot of what is wrong with laws in all countries currently is the extent that government tries to interfere with the private lives of individuals.

The way you dress, the religion you have, whether or not you can put Android on your phone, whether you can rip your CD to listen to it on your media player, whether you can have a same-sex relationship, whether or not you must wear a helmet when you drive a motorbike. These are all things that affect people personally.

Apart from some special exceptions to do with running government itself (paying taxes, conscription etc), laws should be restricted to arbitrating how we interact with each other in a public setting, the whole "your rights end where mine begin" type of argument. The problem is that government's interference with the liberty of private individuals in situations that do not affect others has become more of a norm in all types of societies. This is one of the reasons that I do not like copyright encapsulated legislation. I would much more support "smaller government" although I don't think of myself as a "conservative". I support the NHS and a form of the welfare state. I just think that governments have much bigger problems than trying to micro-manage private life.
tracyanne

Jan 24, 2012
6:56 PM EDT
Apparently not in Victora.[url= POLICE]http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/dad-cops-arrows-o... have lectured a father for carrying a year-old child on his back, reigniting the baby-sling safety debate. [/url]

Quoting:Mr Langford said he reported the police to the Ethical Standards Department because they lectured him on parenting once they had checked the baby was safe.
helios

Jan 24, 2012
7:55 PM EDT
Lord Almighty. The ETHICAL STANDARDS DEPARTMENT? It's 1984 in Victoria it seems. Da**.
flufferbeer

Jan 24, 2012
10:05 PM EDT
@skelband, @BernardSwiss,

Here in the U.S., it seems to me that government spokespeople keep threatening or do even HINT to threaten the public with the horrid specter of impending acts of terrorism if their legal measures aren't carried out to the fullest extent possible. Also, it seems to me that the U.S. media CONTINUES to frame "copyright encapsulated legislation" for the public as just about the ONLY measures to stop piracy theft -- take it or leave it!!

2c
Khamul

Jan 24, 2012
10:17 PM EDT
What's wrong with an Ethical Standards Department for the police? This isn't something to monitor the ethics of regular citizens, it's to keep the police in line. We could certainly use something like that here in the USA, where cops routinely abuse suspects, beat them while they're on the ground, use tazers when they're not necessary and the suspects aren't resisting, etc.
tracyanne

Jan 24, 2012
11:34 PM EDT
We lovingly call Victoria "the Nanny State", however that said. It's useful that they actually have an organisation responsible for keeping an eye on the ethics of thier police force, especially given all the other minor laws they have that attempt to micro manage the state's citizens.
helios

Jan 25, 2012
12:17 AM EDT
They could have found another name for it....I mean one that didn't sound like it came directly out of an Austin Powers movie. Just sayin'.
skelband

Jan 25, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
@me: "I just think that governments have much bigger problems than trying to micro-manage private life."

I might add that trying to micro-manage private life is both futile and extremely expensive.
skelband

Jan 25, 2012
1:42 PM EDT
Continuing with the subject of copyright, this just in which demonstrates something that Cory Doctorow talked about in one of his stories:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/25/pirate_bay_3d_printe...

They future is here now folks!
Khamul

Jan 25, 2012
3:59 PM EDT
@skelband: It's not futile. The East German Stasi managed to successfully micromanage private life in many ways for a long, long time. Sure, their economy was horrible, but they kept millions of people miserable for decades.
skelband

Jan 25, 2012
4:58 PM EDT
@khamul:

Perhaps futile is the wrong word. Inefficient and in the main ineffectual in effecting real lasting change to attitudes and behaviour, except cynicism and suspicion I guess. :D
BernardSwiss

Jan 25, 2012
7:22 PM EDT
@skelband

"Computer: Tea, Earl Grey, Hot."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!